The Cursed Abbey quest is bugged

Grlzgonwild

I spoke to the Hellish Lawyer, I answered all Saint Admus questions, I killed every mob inc the big room at the top and I read all the books in the dungeon inc the one in the Abbotts toom but it won't let me proceed in the quest. When I talk to Saint Admus I say I must further investigate. When I speak to the Abbot I tell him I doubled parked my swampdonkey. I think what happened was when I tried to kill the Abbot I died so I shut the game down to level up more. Now the quest won't let me finish. Please help!

VDX_360

Staff member
The most often snag in that quest is reading the Abbot's book AFTER talking to the Hellish Lawyer. If you read it BEFORE, it rather bores your character. However, after talking to the demon, your character is more interested in details of the book. Playes who die in the Abbey can easily forget if the read the book after talking to the lawyer... it's easy to confuse the order. The giant cats are rather distracting.

A lot of players end up talking to the Hellish Lawyer, Saint Admus, than read the book, and than talk to Saint Admus again to progress the quest.

(PS: Don't worry about double parking your swamp donkey, he doesn't get parking tickets after he donkey-kicked a few knights).

Grlzgonwild

My journal says: "I'm investigating the Abbey in the Fogas Forest. I met the Abbot, a terribly evil undead, but also invulnerable. He mentioned a pact with the devil and also said Third door to the setting sun becomes the gates of hell". I know you're going to tell me I have to go to the secret room 3rd door down and speak with Hellish Lawyer but I did that. I wiped that entire room over and over and the Lawyer is not there anymore. I've read all the books on the pedestals, I answered all the questions from Saint Admus correctly yet it still won't let me progress. Thank you for any help you can give me. I don't want to start over because of one quest.

VDX_360

Staff member
"... the lawyer is not there anymore..."

Did you by chance, kill the lawyer?

What dialogue options did you take with the hellish lawyer?

I suggest you do a 12 hour rest at an inn (to re-set all maps). Than talk to the lawyer in a manner that gives you a discussion about the Abbot's soul not going to hell after he died. Than, with that trigger, read the Abbot's book to find out the Ace Up The Abbot's sleeve. With that knowledge, you can talk to Saint Admus who will release the Abbot from his oath. Than you can kill the Abbot.

VDX_360

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, it's totally nature to want to kill a demon in a dungeon. It's the hero thing to do.

But, in this unique situation, there's a conversation you need to have with the demon to find out more about the Abbot. And plot wise, the demon does tell you killing him won't solve anything.

(Pardon, if you didn't kill him, but that seems to be the case.)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
He should respawn if you sleep. The answers to Saint Admus open the door to get his old items, and also you'll need to talk to him later.
this quest is won "in court" and a little complex, but I don't think you can lock yourself out of it.

Grlzgonwild

I have slept many times since I did this dungeon because I wasn't strong enough to complete it and needed to level up. When I go into the Hellish Cave the Lawyer is no longer there and I've been many times. I clear all the red dragons and their minions but there is no Lawyer anymore. I honestly can't remember if I killed him but I must have if he's not there. I seem to remember he sold stuff (maybe, that could be wrong) but on quests like these I always consult the forums and do what it says, that's how I answered all of Saint Admus questions correctly. So If I'm understanding you correctly, if I did kill the Lawyer I basically messed up the quest and can't complete?

VDX_360

Staff member
... if I did kill the Lawyer I basically messed up the quest and can't complete?

If you kill the lawyer, he re-spawns when the map re-sets. That is why we're telling you to stay at an inn. He also doesn't sell anything.

Are you going to the right spot on the map? The North East corner of the map in the little study like area? See here.

Based on what you saying, the most likely hiccup is a missed step that you think you did. Not saying that's what happening, but in the past when people report the same problem as your reporting, that's what happened with them. So let's give this a try. Note: Don't skip a step because you remember doing it a million times in the past, do them as if you never done them before.

1) Stay at an inn for 12 hours. Again, don't skip this step because you slept in an inn in the past.

2) Go to the hellish lawyer in the hellish cave. See Hellish Cave map. Screen shot the area, showing his absence, or his dialogue options.

3) After talking to the hellish lawyer, read the Abbot's book. It's in the NE corner of the Abbot. See Abbot map. Screen shot the dialogue option with the book.

4) After learning the Abbot's secret, talk to St. Admus.

Lastly, if you're using a modified game, or character file, there could be problems stemming from that. I'm not saying you're using a mod, just listing it as a common source of weird problems. (Note: Per forum rules, discussing mods is prohibited.)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I was not sure so I checked: the lawyer will always respawn as long as the quest is not complete, and this quest can always be completed.

However, keep in mind that yes, in other cases, killing someone or giving a certain answer in dialogue may make quests fail. But you don't need to restart the game because of that, you can always finish the main quest regardless.