Ideal partner for an Arcane Knight built?

0rion79

Hi, I wanted to enjoy the new skills and I am progressing with a mage with the recent promotions as Arcane Knight: they really look nice!
But I have few questions:

1 - how do you protect your character from damage? they are so fragile that they are always at risk.
2 - which kind of weapons do you use? 1-handed or light weapons? Usually 1-handed deal more elemental damage than light weapons.
3 - which is the ideal companion for this kind of built?
I am doubtful among Grissenda - although it would go a bit in competition for weapons OR I should re-train her for a 2-handed combat style, OR Hirge since she may heal... maybe better equipped with a shield so that she is a bit more dureable.

What are you thoughts?

VDX_360

Staff member
The Companion question is likely easier: A) Hirge is likely going to more useful until you are more confident with the build. The heal skill will buy you a little flexibility. B) Griss is likely going to be more useful when you figure out how to overwhelm enimies. She can take a bit of damage to let you flank.

Arcane Knights are a very soft melee build. So try to use Companions and Summons to let you flank the enemy. Expect to use other melee skills to help round out the build.

Depending on your Trait set, you might want to try Light weapons. Agility helps both ranged and Light weapons so you might be able to swap between wands and melee weapons more smoothly. Plus, agility helps out with defense.

You might want to try some 1-H weapons (esp if they have useful elemental damage).

p4ran0id

Staff member
Hi, I wanted to enjoy the new skills and I am progressing with a mage with the recent promotions as Arcane Knight: they really look nice!
But I have few questions:

1 - how do you protect your character from damage? they are so fragile that they are always at risk.
2 - which kind of weapons do you use? 1-handed or light weapons? Usually 1-handed deal more elemental damage than light weapons.
3 - which is the ideal companion for this kind of built?
I am doubtful among Grissenda - although it would go a bit in competition for weapons OR I should re-train her for a 2-handed combat style, OR Hirge since she may heal... maybe better equipped with a shield so that she is a bit more dureable.

What are you thoughts?
It's easier to play than you think. I prefer Hirge as companion most times, gris is also a nice option.

with combustion you not only deal fire dmg, it also reduce elemental resistance and armor, with right weapon it's very easy to kill the enemies, even groups. for example, Mercian Royal Crypt was never that easy with a mage, the first area where you get attacked is like a killing spring, combustion then 1 hit per enemy. really love this build

Last edited:

0rion79

Looks like I need to buff my wizard... just wanted to try something different from previous builds.
I fins Grisenda pretty useful due to her cleave ability, while Hirge is a sort of mana-waster, terrible vs. little hordes of foes.

Yet, if I want to go melee, I need a spellcaster to constantly heal my main character and that should avoid a "weapon conflict" too. (Gris would eventually use the same weapons I would, that's the point).

Probably Adaon is the less qualified in this case.

VDX_360

Staff member
Adaon is ALWAYS the less qualified. : - )
(Never forget, he robbed you in your sleep).

Zanza

Quick question - can combustion replace fireball for an elemental Mage like me? One thing I never liked about fireball is its unreliability in close quarters, often hitting myself with it. What is combustion's range and does it have good AoE? I'll happily respec my skills if Combustion is just a slightly weaker fireball but with debuff + no friendly fire :).

p4ran0id

Staff member
yes and no, combustion is better but not a range attack, so it will only be around your character. but it's way better than fireball

Zanza

Hmm, as a wand user I usually stay away from my enemies while Grissenda fights them. I will be testing the skill as soon as I level up.

Death Cloud is another possible spell I'm considering, just need to find Griss a powerful death weapon to take advantage of the subtracted resistance later on.

Last edited:

Commiades

The best part of Death Cloud is that it slows enemies. My high level wand mage soloed SoH with it!