How well do Iron Golem summons fare in Ark of Lothasan?

Zanza

Are they enough to cheese the enemies there since they have high lightning resist? Just wondering because I might consider a respec once I reach it, since I won't need fireball or ice storm (unless I handle the final boss but I'm going for peaceful ending this time).

VDX_360

Staff member
I distaste re-spec-ing. It's one of the few unforgivable sins. The other ones are using Adaon as a Companion and serving Yeti fat with white wine. Everyone knows yeti-fat pairs with friguld rum. And screw Adaon. He robbed you in your sleep.

But, I digress.

Iron Golems are a beast in the Ark - especially if you max out Summoner. Iron Golems seem to take zero damage from shock attacks, and are rather effective against even a group of spiders.

In contrast, fire does zilch for damage against Ark enemies.

p4ran0id

Staff member
well there are pro and contra to use it. I prefer iron golem for ark as summoner mage, really helpful. but with other builds it's also possible. lesser summoner for example is also resistant to shock dmg and you can use it as decoy even against battle Droid. but it will die very fast against spiders

VDX_360

Staff member
Yes, that little blue ball of shock does pretty well in the Ark. Sometimes it's good to use him against Steel Wizards, to save mana to summon the Iron Golem for the Steel Spiders. That tag-team approach can really stretch out your mana.

Zanza

😆 Adaon is my least favorite companion but I used to use him purely to find secret doors and traps since my warrior was more brawns than brain. Anyway ty guys, I'll definitely consider those options. Trying to complete under 180 days for achievement and I'm at day 151; just finished collecting Black Shards a few in-game days ago and waiting for the next objective.

VDX_360

Staff member
If you have enough traits for the peaceful ending (INT 5, PER 5, AWA 5), than you have a good chance of making it. If you need to grind to get the Googled Helmet (it's + 2 AWA) you might be in a bad spot.

It takes about five or so in-game days for the letter to appear. Once you get it, make a mad-dash to the Sunken Citadel. As a mage, you don't need anything from the dragons, and there's an anti-rad helmet in the Citadel. Beating the Underking will give you a quicker access route to the Ark.

Since you can grind for gear after the ark, focus on beating it rather than collecting all the items.

Zanza

About that, do traits from gear actually count towards passing a check? I'm at +4 awa but with Amulet of Dark Whispers it's +6. Also, I'm not sure if PER 5 will be needed since INT 5 works as alternatives according to wiki.

I kept around 10 tolassian tomes stored in New Garand house so I have enough to get whatever I'm missing.

VDX_360

Staff member
Gear bonus count towards trait checks (there were a few bugs that -should- be fixed).

To get the peaceful ending:
1) Do the Undermother's bidding -or- pass the trait check with the ghost when he discovers the location of the Ark (that's an INT 5, or PER 6)
2) Peaceful meeting with the Arcane Knight (I think it's PERS 3 with some good dialogue choices, or PERS 5 with obvious choices)
3) Getting medical data (AWA 5 plus special tool)
4) Debate trait checks: INT 5, PER 5.

Sometimes new players forget to retrieve the info log on the Horrors from the Ark library on the first floor. Once you know about the Horror, go back to it and search for it by name to get the data log.

Wiki page on Ark quest.

p4ran0id

Staff member
who needs peaceful ending, this run im going with my arcane mage for the forsaken 😎

but only on causal 😔

one day I'll go for Ironman, but need to get used to new build first