Guidance request on Grissenda build with Archer Rogue.

ZoriahNZ

Hey all. I just got the game a few days ago and am loving it. I found it a little tough at first on normal, but I stuck it out and now things are going pretty swimmingly. I'm at a point where I may need to grind a bit in order to be able to clear the next series of quests. I've been perusing the forums and getting some great tips, but I wondered if I could get specific help on how to build Grissenda more effectively to complement my rogue who at the moment is leaning towards full ranged archer rogue. I haven't met Hilge yet, but may switch to her if people think she'd be a better companion for me.

Firstly, my rogue: Level 10 and currently hunting outlaws outside of Freetown for xp and money. I realize I may have spread myself a little thin trying all the different skills and might benefit from a respec to focus things more. I seem to die a lot more if I go pure melee or mix melee/range. It may just be that I haven't developed a good rhythm with stab or got the right weapons combo going, but at the moment I'm enjoying concentrating on being an archer who generally avoids close combat at all costs. Poison intrigues me, but that's melee only, correct? I might try explosive traps, though, that sounds like fun.

STR 0
END 1 +1 end ring
AGI 4
INT 2
AWA 3
PER 2

ARMOR 14 Mostly Velites

Skills:
Stab 1
Sneak 1
Kick 2
Evasion 1
Trap 1
Archery 2
Sprint 1

Extra Recovery 1
Dungeoneering 3
Gossip 1

Advanced skills:
Rapid Fire 1
Precision shots 1

Weapons: Frost bow, but with Deathclaw and magma shortsword to switch to, if need be.

Grissenda: Level 9 ARMOR 17 platemail

STR 2
END 3
AGI 1
INT 0
AWA 0
PER 1

Skills:
Whirlwind 1
Resilience 1
Fury 1
Two handed expert 1
Shield expert 2
Bash 1
Cleave 1

My thoughts: I think I will respec her to be either 2 hand or 1 hand + shield, rather than dabbling in both. She seems to survive longer with the latter, so that's what I'm leaning towards. I presume she doesn't need the PER. Should I focus on Resilience and Bash? Fury and cleave have helped at times so not sure if I want to drop them.

Weapons: Magma shortsword with Lesser shield of life, or Icy greatsword. She also has access to Burning Ember mace if I want to go troll hunting with the magma shortsword.

Am I right to be sticking around Freetown, Sydarun and Jabal, or should I be heading east to New Anthur to level up and quest. I haven't quite managed to clear the Minotaur labryinth, or kill the Orc king yet - and the Royal Mercia Crypt and Jabal Grotto seem lvl 14 and too hard to try right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

feldon

Loreseeker
Other ranged rogue players may have better build suggestions, so I'll stick to general stuff.

Typically, as a ranger, you will want to have your comp draw as much agro as possible. Gris is better at this than Hirge, though when she gets advance skills implemented summoned pets might be best path.

Build Gris up as a sword and board agility/str balanced tank. Limiting the active skills she can use will help ensure she's using the right thing. She will be attacked by multiple mobs so cleave is a solid go to.

TheScumbag

I am a pure archer rogue, and imo, its either best to have a pure melee (and utilize that flurry skill goodness) or pure range skills, so its my recommendation to respec your skills to reflect that. (and yes, poison mastery is melee)

Now what is the worst thing for an archer? Multiple close combat enemies swarming towards you! That is why your companion should be a well balanced tank that can handle multiple enemies. So I would heavily recommend dropping 2 Handed expert skill for shield expert (and ensure your companion gets the shield armor bonus).

I would also drop Whirlwind and Resilience for the time being and focus on Cleave (that extra opponent damage is no joke) and fury. And I do recommend removing that 1 PER on Grissenda. The only real benefit is +5 death and since it will get increasingly harder to get 1 trait point every level, make sure it counts with AGI or END

As far as locations go, Its better to go the Abandoned Tower in Crimson hills and upgrade that bow to Jesters and quests will get much simpler. (Try completing An odd couple quest afterwards, there is an amulet granting +1 Awa so you can respec your current Awa and save 3 points)

At level 12 Archer with Jesters bow, you can pretty much clear most quests, but stay away from trolls and the undead for grinding xp)