Fast travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igna_da

I know this is a controversial debate for many old-school RPG fans but... once you've walked 7 times from town A to town B, you really hope there was some kind of fast travel between them. Even at the cost of some gold or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
There will be some limited forms of fast travel. Actually, they're there already (boatmen) and they'll be expanded.

My intention is to have a fast travel similar to the one you can have in Morrowind, e.g., between some towns, but not always, and sometimes forcing you to make small detours. Also, some forms of magical teleportation will be unlocked during the game as well. But it will never be "pointing a place on the map and you are there". I will be adding many encounters in the roads that will make it potentially different (and profitable) on each trip, and none of that is implemented yet, so please have patience.

However, if many people feel the same way, please say so. Feedback is always useful for me.

KimPera

I say no to fast travel.

“roads were made for journeys not destinations” - Confucius

Xoratagi

KimPera":uv8jechw said:
I say no to fast travel.

+0.9999

I mean, true, I also want the "exploring" feeling, but sometimes... like it was said above,a few limited town-to-town fast travel options would be good.

Atroces

The idea behind fast travel isnt just convenience, it replaces tedium with enjoyment. We all love expansive, open world games. We also love having many options and places to explore, but there is an always increasing problem with a larger and larger world, and that is the time sink of traveling.

I get that some die hards like having to hoof it from one town to the next, but as mentioned before, it gets a bit gratuitous, the travel, especially when you have to make several trips between the same places, or worse, having to traverse a giant map to get from one end of the world to the other.

My biggest constraint is time. I thoroughly enjoy the game, and I really like finding new places in various nooks and crannies, but having to spend an entire lunch break simply traveling, that subtracts from some of the joy I feel playing the game. Having explored the map and gone from town to town, I almost feel like I am being punished for having so much to do. There have been a few occasions where I am discouraged from playing because I know I simply wont be able to accomplish much.

I am an avid gamer, I have played all sorts of RPG games since C64 and pretty much every platform and console, and I will say this, having some form of fast travel will, without fail, allow me to enjoy more of the content of the game, not focus on the repeating scenery and spawning enemies that quickly become monotonous to me.

Even if it were only enabled for lower difficulties, I could deal with that, but all in all, i do think it is a needed feature.

Atroces

KimPera":1anmkcvn said:
I say no to fast travel.

Confucius never played an open world RPG, I think his wisdom is limited to real world applications:)

ZeroesHero

Wizard towers get you from kingdom to kingdom, and cuts down on a lot of travel time. Boatmen get you from town to town, along certain water routes. Most places can be gotten to within a loading screen of either of these 2 options. Scrolls of Recall gets you to the nearest town no matter where you are (with very few exceptions). The fast travel options are there for you if you know how to use them. It's not exactly point and click, but it's a far cry from the sole leather express being your only option.

Sir ShanksAlot

DavidBVal":1kkclfvm said:
There will be some limited forms of fast travel. Actually, they're there already (boatmen) and they'll be expanded.

My intention is to have a fast travel similar to the one you can have in Morrowind, e.g., between some towns, but not always, and sometimes forcing you to make small detours. Also, some forms of magical teleportation will be unlocked during the game as well. But it will never be "pointing a place on the map and you are there". I will be adding many encounters in the roads that will make it potentially different (and profitable) on each trip, and none of that is implemented yet, so please have patience.

However, if many people feel the same way, please say so. Feedback is always useful for me.

What about an end game ring that turns you into a Sabercat when worn and increases movement speed?
Could be upgraded to Corrupt Sabercat? Could be any other fast moving creature too, just a thought!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Sir ShanksAlot":1huuyp7i said:
DavidBVal":1huuyp7i said:

What about an end game ring that turns you into a Sabercat when worn and increases movement speed?
Could be upgraded to Corrupt Sabercat? Could be any other fast moving creature too, just a thought!

Sounds cool, we'll see if the engine is able of handling that...

BTW, nice necro here, replying to a topic from the 2015 Alpha, people asked for fast travel when the game had 9 outdoor sectors :D

Status
Not open for further replies.