Would it be possible to add a ranged weapon for Clerics?

Cuckoorex

Like maybe a slingshot or something (since they tend to avoid edged weapons)? Cleric seems already most difficult to play as and not having a ranged attack is a further disadvantage, I think.

Sounkeng

The only benefit I can see of giving clerics a bad ranged weapon would be to allow them to agro a monster without aggroing a crowd. Warriors have ranged weapons, but typically get little meaningful use out of them other than to agro a single monster, I would expect the same to be true for clerics.

In terms of difficulty. I really don't see clerics as the weakest class, I actually think they are the strongest (or at least one of the strongest) classes. But that is neither here nor there.

Point is I don't feel that a cleric ranged weapon would add that much.

Cuckoorex

Sounkeng":2ot375z2 said:
The only benefit I can see of giving clerics a bad ranged weapon would be to allow them to agro a monster without aggroing a crowd. Warriors have ranged weapons, but typically get little meaningful use out of them other than to agro a single monster, I would expect the same to be true for clerics.

Yes, that's exactly why I would want a ranged weapon for clerics! I want to aggro single monsters to divide and conquer a mob.

VDX_360

Staff member
Magic wands are coming out in the next major update, in the testing phase right now. Perhaps, the cleric can use one?

On paper, clerics are the strongest class. Currently, all the low-level mile stones are held by clerics (including beating the horror). The most common issue with clerics stems form players wanting to build a cleric like a warrior that can heal rather than it's own unique class. Clerics do get the least amount of love on the forums.

That being said, I like the idea of a token ranged weapon. Either a basic bow, a slingshot or even a wand.

vondarkmoore

If, and I do mean if, since I'm not a fan of clerics with ranged weapons, clerics had a ranged weapon, I think it should be a throwing hammer.

VDX_360

Staff member
Currently, Clerics are the only class not able to use some level of ranged weapons so I can see the benefit of given them that ability. There's no reality involved in the idea that Clerics can only use blunt weapons.

Even the wide spread use of the sword is a myth not grounded in history as most soldiers uses clubs, maces, hand axe's or basic spears. Swords simply required too much expertise to be a wide spread weapon. But I digress...

I would support a limited selection of range attacks for Clerics, be that through wand or a bow of some sort.

Xen

Loreseeker
Personally, I like Cleric the way it is now. Clerics can heal so they can be a battle-support character like Clerics in other games meaning you should let your companion do the job of killing enemies or it can also be a tank build like a Paladin. Cleric with ranged weapon can be a little awkward for me but I don't know for others, bottomline it is all personal preference.

Luckyjames333

A class always have strength and weekness, a Cleric, at my point is a mix between warrior and mage, that make him(her) become a fighter with blessed magic protection, I don't think a Paladin can use any ranged weapon, there is maybe 2 ways to build a cleric, a supporter or a melee-tanker. Perhaps we should add some range spells for player who build on supporter way, like fire-ball, ice-spear...but in that way, he will become likely a mage, it's still not a good idea anyway.