wish id found the forum before joining warriors guild as a rogue. ark is hard lol

JediNxf7

any advice for a 'melee' rogue who can't learn assassinate and needs another trait point to get enough AGI for Flurry (which will require forgetting my advanced skills first, so much work lol)? finding the Ark very difficult. Level 23, almost at 24. and I made a lot of decisions that don't lead to good shock weapons - helped syllara, helped the Snake. I'm too used to relying on immortal hirge to keep staying alive and healing me with the overflow; at around 600 HP and around 32 armor my rogue is still somehow squishy in the Ark.

maybe I should bite the bullet and use my two available skill points on shock resistance? it happens to be one of the advances skills I arbitrarily learned before I realized they'd be capped at 8.

MAN I've done a lot of irreversible dumb stuff in 100 hours of game play :D

I guess if I had to describe my build, I'd call it "delusional, aspirational tank rogue"

it makes me want to play my next game with a proper rogue, but that runs the risk of being all played out before I try another class.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The only upside for you joining the Warrior's Guild is HEAVYHAND so at least get that & maxed. And Max Flurry ASAP and the critical Skills (Precision Strikes, Massive Critical). You'll also be needing Body Development. You have Evasion too, right?

JediNxf7

I have evasion and massive crits and stab maxed, I have body development 2 and precision strikes 2. lol when I went to learn heavy hand was when I discovered you can only know 8 advanced skills, so I'll need to forget something and relearn some stuff soon, which is tedious but necessary.

most of my equipment is to increase traits so my shock resistance isn't very high, but I could raise it by 24 on skill points now if it's worthwhile... but if i were about to respec and add heavy hand then that'll have to come from somewhere. I have death ward 1 and blood lust 1 (I've found bloodlust helpful for swarms, but I guess I'm at the point of the game where I should be more concerned about surviving 1v1's and avoiding getting swarmed.) so maybe when I forget advanced skills I won't bring those two back, and will use three of my then-four available points on heavyhand 2. and I level up in like another 60K XP, so I can then get either body development 3, heavy handed 3, or precision strikes 3. honestly the marginal benefit of going from 2 to 3 on precision strikes and on body development didn't seem that great - on the crittiest weapons that's another 3.5% probability of crit (or 1.75% insta kill weaker enemies in synergy with my massive crits 3), and body development would mean another what, half a hit point per level x End? I guess 60 hp isn't nothing... it's like a 10% increase, so maybe that's the place to spend the points.
Post automatically merged:    

oooh I just noticed the steel enemies aren't protected against spirit damage. so maybe my best weapon for this will be Sonnet, lacking a good shock weapon. it was gonna be that or adamantite longsword...

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
If you're having trouble with zzap dmg then you can always get shock-resistant kit for those areas: Ring of Isolation & Abbot's Ring (25 each), Tiara of the Heavens (20), Gloves of Luck (8), Kevlar Vest (20), Leggings of Shadows (15). That's over 120. I'm not saying use them all but still, you have substantial options.

Oh yes, Spirit damage is the best damage overall (though there are a couple of opponents specifically resistant to it). Sonnet is magnificent but don't overlook Spirit Breaker when fighting outsiders and Undead. The Silver Bow of Malan might be of use for a few hits before swapping (via a hotkey) to melee.

VDX_360

Staff member
Grinding a bit in the Sunken Citadel might help acquire both equipment and potions that can help you in the arc. Elixirs of Galade are quite helpful for melee types.

The arc drops shock gear so it's just a matter if you can survive the grind? The above discussion on Spirit weapons might help you in the short term.

Plenty of Rogues in the Warrior guild have beaten the game, so it's doable. You've made it to the arc, so you're pretty close.

VDX_360

Staff member
Also Duel is pretty useful for melee Rogue's. With higher speed weapons, it will max out quickly.

JediNxf7

Also Duel is pretty useful for melee Rogue's. With higher speed weapons, it will max out quickly.
how can a rogue learn duel? I thought it was only for clerics and warriors. I wanted duel the most!

so I did get through level 1, and as people said, once I found the nanocarbon scalpel it was a lot easier. awesome stuff like force belt, automated gloves, Hitchhiker's Guide ring and so on didn't hurt either!

which means, I think, I am finally going to try and brave the sewer of horrors before I attempt the final quest of the game. Wish me luck!

nvm I see the duel thing was addressed. yeah seems I can't do better than flurry+heavyhand+evasion+stab+sneak attack + massive criticals+precision strikes, to maximize damage and DPS. And Body Development for the reasonably high HP. I guess I'll forget bloodlust unless there's somehow room for it.

sometimes it's tempting to use a dirk of the gambler instead of a shield, too, at least while evasion is active. It makes a pretty good melee rogue, but man, assassinate would have been sweet.

Last edited: