When it is worth hiring adventurers/mercenaries?

dutchvander

First of all, thanks for the awesome game. I played around for a few days on the free version and enjoyed it so much that I bought the game and rolled a new character yesterday :)

Do people have some recommendation on when to use the hired guns and how hard you should try to keep them alive? Also, what happens when they die, do they respawn?

Just wondering how "worth it" they are at the early levels, in my small experience with them they seem to be good at committing suicide, especially when you don't want them to.

Dragonborn

dutchvander":1inlu4zq said:
First of all, thanks for the awesome game. I played around for a few days on the free version and enjoyed it so much that I bought the game and rolled a new character yesterday :)

Do people have some recommendation on when to use the hired guns and how hard you should try to keep them alive? Also, what happens when they die, do they respawn?

Just wondering how "worth it" they are at the early levels, in my small experience with them they seem to be good at committing suicide, especially when you don't want them to.

They are cannon fodder in late game, used to soak up damage usually against bosses and such.

If you're a rouge in late game, they're time buyers against bosses.

If you're Cleric in late game, you can use them as extra damage and a follower as the heal spell, if you get healed fully, will heal your followers.

if you're a warrior late game, they'll buy you time to deal the damage, same as a rouge.

Worth it? No. But if you have the extra gold and want to be extra prepared for a new dungeon or a boss, bring one with you.

feldon

Loreseeker
In the early parts of the game, you are far better served saving your money for equipment upgrades.

There are people you can find and assist throughout the kingdoms who may become permanent companions. One such person is Grissenda in N. Bluemist River. You can equip her and when she dies, she will come back.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
I agree with both BTW early game when they are somewhat useful generally it is better to get equipment late game they are fodder... but useful... as far as regenerating I have not had time to see if the names recycle or not.. there are a lot there... interesting project to undretake at some point... catalog names and type of fodder... see if it is random or if the type has a pool... and whether they cycle back or remain dead... some to add to the to do list for the wiki...

dutchvander

Thanks guys, that's useful information (and I thought as much).

I tried to beat the Lannegar mine boss at level 4 and couldn't quite manage (I mean, I could have brought more health potions). Tried to get a merc in to help me but it was way too hard to keep him alive till the actually boss fight.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
dutchvander":hfo9inee said:
Thanks guys, that's useful information (and I thought as much).

I tried to beat the Lannegar mine boss at level 4 and couldn't quite manage (I mean, I could have brought more health potions). Tried to get a merc in to help me but it was way too hard to keep him alive till the actually boss fight.

Clear, return, hire, go back and fight the boss... Monsters spawn every 12 game hours... so if you are quick you can get it done. :) And he is level 6... I would recommend waiting until you are 5 and have gotten all of your equipment... Alternatively go grab Grissenda... she is right next door and a huge help.