What is better armor or hit points ?

Balmore

Is it better to use a shield that offers more protection or is it better to use a 2 handed weapon that can deliver more hit points.

Dmitri

Loreseeker
It all depends on the build, because 2-handed uses certian traits and skills, while 1-handed build uses mostly resilence, shield expert, AGI 6 for Flurry.

VDX_360

Staff member
I presume you're talking about the Warrior Class? Warriors can specialize in 2-H or using Shield making them having to choose between the two. In contrast, Clerics can switch between weapon types rather effortlessly as their skills apply to all weapon types.

The 2-H vs 1-H with a Shield debate is a deep one. Neither has a clear lead. And that's how it should be if everything is in balance. So it boils down to playing style.

2-H Warriors, esp those that are combat focused, will have the easiest type with fighting, but might miss out on dialogue and quest options. Some of that can be avoided with having Adaon in your party or having a few trait points invested in Mental Traits. Dungeon runs tend to be fast and furious. Charge + Whirlwind is a deadly combo for those that learn the timing. Maxed out 2-H expert does wonderful with damage and stun.

1-H Warriors, esp with Infantry Training and Duel, can be defensive tanks with impressive damage output. The extra elemental resistance from having a shield plus a non-whispering necklace makes a difference, too.

Balmore

OK I'm at level 10 and I think I am in too deep. I am stuck at trying to defeat Lady xidar in web of terror. I realize I should have saved my character just before going in but I did not she has more hit points then me by double I think. I have tried everything, any ideas.

VDX_360

Staff member
Did you take out her two bodyguards first? You can fight them one-on-one in the dungeon if you search the place. If you do, she won't be able to summon them to help her in her fight.

Lady Xidar hits with pure death damage. So only death protection matters. Armor, the use of a shield, etc don't matter -- unless they have a death resistance boost to them. Death Resistance potions are useful too.

Mages, Rogues and even Clerics can kite her a bit. Warriors tend to have to go toe-to-toe with her. You could try using your strongest skill (Whirlwind, Charge?) than running around dodging her projectiles until it you can use it again.

If you're really stuck. And you can't leave the grotto on your own, you might have to load an auto-save from the last time you stayed at an Inn.

Balmore

Thanks for the help I reloaded a saved game. Is death ward the skull symbol? I'll note that. Now I'm running out of money so I'll go back when I can buy more healing. I also learned that I can put healing potions on my quick access links. So that's good. I'm now at level 11 so I'm getting there. Seems like a lot of quests are getting more difficult to complete.

VDX_360

Staff member
The skull on your character sheet represents death resistance. See here for more information.

Somewhere around Level 10 to Level 12, players often hit a limbo where early stuff is too easy, but mid-game stuff too hard. It typically lasts a level or two as a player gets better equipment, a little more skills and figures out game mechanics a little bit. Joining a guild tends to help (note you can only join one, can't be undone). Having a Companion with you at all times helps, too.