What are the best items for magicians?

Kakost

... I just got a new mage to run straight to New Garand after the first Goblin quest!
The ideal very early is to rush to New Garand at lvl 2, particularly if you're Mage. Get 1 lvl of Zap and the first two guards wont offer any trouble at all, and the Unkown Dungeon will be super easy, far easier than later on, and you'll begin the game at lvl 3 with outstanding items for the lvl you are and with an earlier companion. It gets even easier to get Griss with Adaon's help, and after that you're fully set for the rest of the game

knarfling

is there a great staff you can get early like rogues can get Wrymslayer?
I am partial to The Staff of Mighty Missles as an early staff. But no need to run down to 2nd level maze and fight Oracle Minotaurs to get one. I usually pick one up between level 4-6. The jump to a base damage of 7-12 is a  big help for an early game mage.

I pick one up as soon as I have 4600 gold I can spare. I go to any Wizard's Enclave, pay 500 gold to get to the Great Plains Enclave (Nevarian) , pay 3600 for the staff, and the final 500 to get to safety.

This way I don't have to fight level 10 sabercats or minotaurs.

knarfling

You don't have to be a member to buy stuff at the Enclaves. Nor do you have to be a member for teleportation. It just costs more. There is  NO way that I could be a member at level 4 or 5. Yet on this run I picked up the staff at level 5.

Nivarian99

Yeah, but what are the low levels we are talking about? At those levels, venturing into Crimson Hills, with all those Giants that love to bash? ai ai ai!

knarfling

True. But the Mighty Missles is high enough damage for early enemies and you can grow into it. At level 8, with int: 3, agi: 3, staff mastery: 2, it does 15-20 with a 35% chance to slow. (My current char)

Nivarian99

True, but for the initial costs, it is fairly a useful staff, esp at early levels, when suddenly you are doing this insane damage quite unexpected for your level, or the enemies you would usually encounter at that level.

VDX_360

Staff member
Don't overdue spoiler tags. Shopping lists for public merchants isn't a secret.
Same for quoting people right above you.

Makes the thread a lot easier to read, follow and search.