Wand mage help

Deleted member 28869

I've decided to try wand mage on casual since there are new wands, and I am struggling with the damage. It seems like my build is broken, what do I need to change with my build? And do I need to focus on spellcasting or wand hits?

Criticism is appreciated and welcome, thank you in advance.

VDX_360

Staff member
It seems like your going for a wand-elementalist build. A summon-staff build might be better for you if you're struggling. But let's look at your current build first.

Summary: If you are bringing a few different wands, and a stack of summon scrolls, you should be okay.

Your traits are reasonable spread out for a late game build. So no real challenge there. We could debate for days over pros-and-cons cover one point here or there, but you have a solid trait baseline.

You lack a summons. So you would well served in keeping a stack of summons with you. They can make a world of difference. For the Ark, Lessor Summons 1 (the shock imp) is very worthwhile. Pure shock damage from the wizards can't hurt it so it can last a long time. Damage your summons take is damaging you're not taking.

Death Cloud pairs well with a death weapon. The combination will wreak havoc on animals and other enemies weak against death. Hower for enemies that are strong against death, you'll need a back-up plan. So carry a few wands with you so you can swap to the best one for the situation.

Mage Armour would serve you well being maxed out if you're still getting hit a lot (you currently have Level 3). That gives you extra resistance and extra hits. It might be better to focus on not getting hit but keep Mage Armor in mind.

Gate II isn't helping you. A stack of teleport scrolls is easy to buy with your gold stash and lack a mana requirement. That will free up 2 skill points.

Extra Recovery 2 is a huge use of skill points with very little return for experienced players. Those two extra recoveries can help with long dungeons but so can a stack of healing potions / mana potions. So less benefit for more experienced players.

Note: Equipment wise, you look like you're geared for the Ark. You will have to adjust resistance focus for each area. So swap to the appropriate rings for each area (fire, death, etc). Also don't forget those resistance potions.

Again, it doesn't look like your build is "broken." You just need to adjust how you're playing it.

Lastly, a Summon-staff build might be easier to manage. A Level 18 golem rather negats taking damage.

Arcanmaster

You don't have Massive Criticals and Precision Shots. They require 3 strenght, 1 intellect, 1 awareness.
You don't have Disintegrate. It requires 5 intelect. It is more useful then Lightning Bolt, Fireball and Blizard.
Wand Damage doesn't require Intelect and Personality so you can reduce Personality to 0 if you don't want advanced summons and Intelect at least to 5 and put trait points in Agility and Awareness

Commiades

If you want to boost wand damage, you could increase AGI at the expense of INT. I second the need to get Massive Criticals and Precision Shots. They increase damage a lot. Swap Extra Recovery for them. Death Cloud goes really well with Wand Mastery - slowed enemies often never touch you.

Molokot

Wand of power has 8% crit chance if u max crit chance skill it will be 20% !!!! , but still wand is good only early game when u dont have lot of inteligence . For me mage progression is wand + fire elemental then switch for staff and iron golem. And now u can also use best fast rogue weapons with new skill and dump staff/wand mastery and arcanist. Just it requires often renewal of mage shield , but can be fun.

Deleted member 28869

You don't have Massive Criticals and Precision Shots. They require 3 strenght, 1 intellect, 1 awareness.
You don't have Disintegrate. It requires 5 intelect. It is more useful then Lightning Bolt, Fireball and Blizard.
How many points should I invest into these skills?
Death Cloud goes really well with Wand Mastery - slowed enemies often never touch you.
I tried death cloud but I didn't like it very much.
It seems like your going for a wand-elementalist build. A summon-staff build might be better for you if you're struggling.
Staff and summon builds are great, I find these kinds of builds easier to use and progress, but too bad I sold all the good staves.

DarthTomServo

Staff and summon builds are great, I find these kinds of builds easier to use and progress, but too bad I sold all the good staves.
I wouldn't rule out staves as an option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe enough of the end-game staves are not unique. A very good one drops from the minotaur mini-bosses in sunken citadel (banishing IV & electric dmg). Also the one from the Ark. Don't remember if you can get the fire staff from rumor boss or not, but you can always just use a fire wand for the off chance you fight a troll.

And I know you said you don't like Death Cloud, but I would still encourage considering just 2 skill points in it for the slow effect for an end-game wand build. Use it as an opener to slow them for 12 seconds + wand knockback ... goes a very long way. By the time slow wears off, the CD for Death Cloud is also ready again. Forget about the niche death thing. That's just a bonus imo.

Deleted member 28869

I wouldn't rule out staves as an option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe enough of the end-game staves are not unique. A very good one drops from the minotaur mini-bosses in sunken citadel (banishing IV & electric dmg). Also the one from the Ark. Don't remember if you can get the fire staff from rumor boss or not, but you can always just use a fire wand for the off chance you fight a troll.
Yeah, but I dont want to farm for the ice one.
And I know you said you don't like Death Cloud, but I would still encourage considering just 2 skill points in it for the slow effect for an end-game wand build.
I have mage barrier and my companion so I'm good

DarthTomServo

Yeah, fair enough. Changing builds around too much late game especially after pawning stuff you would have used is not all that appealing.