Vampire Mage, but not really...

IAmOdie

My next Mage build would be a Death Knight where I will focus on Mage Armor, Mage Barrier, and Vampiric Blade, and then invest other skill points to other skills that I would find necessary, like General Skills, Massive Critical, Combustion, Death Cloud, and Mana Surge.

I'm urged to name the character Anakin, Palpatine, or Windu. But, nah.

Any other skills that I should invest on? Or the one that I shouldn't?

mashedpotatogin

Mage barrier might make it harder for you to land hits as it knocksback enemies each time they hit you. The shock damage, knockback and stun is nice but mainly useful for ranged classes. But bosses will just CHEESE your armor to death due to their high resistances. Opt for Body Development as it covers high hit points (a vital thing in melee scenarios) and Lightning Bolt due to it's fast heavy damage incremental as you gain levels. Potent to stun too.

VDX_360

Staff member
Mage Barrier doesn't pair well with melee characters.

A previous player tried to get the timing down using the bounce effect but it was a bit of a headache. Curious to know if you can work it out.

Body Development seems an obvious suggestion.

mashedpotatogin

Golems *might* help as extra damage and protection but is a very heavy investment in skill points. Would mean sacrificing most of your skills and traits for it to be viable, but if you goin a level 100 then have fun.

VDX_360

Staff member
An Level 18 Iron Golem costs 15 Skill Points and 10 trait points.

Skill Points:
Lessor Summoning (I and II) : 4 Skill Points
Iron Golem (Level 15) : 7 Skill Points
Summoner (I, II, III) : 4 Skill Points

Traits:
Earth Mastery: PER 4
Summoner: PER 3
(10 traits points)

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Hey Odie!
Nice, a Vampire mage! Awesome :)

I have pre-built a Vampire Assassin (Mage) character, ready to play. If you want to start a new game with a vampire mage, you can download my save and try it.

It starts at level 8 in the village near Castle Storme, with a death blade and the skill Vampiric Blade. The 4 Enclave quests and Cold Trail have already been done to get the skill, but the rest of the game hasn't been touched. Just head to Lannegar and start the game as you normally would.

The character also starts with lots of speed and invisibility potions, and has a deadly backstab thanks to the skill Disintegrate! It plays like a rogue, but it's really a mage lol.
Check it out if you like: 'Vampire Assassin'

p4ran0id

Staff member
I think it will be crazy hard to win the game just with that, how are you going to kill enemies who are immune to death effects? You should also add elemental melee to it, otherwise some enemies will be crazy hard to defeat

VDX_360

Staff member
@p4ran0id , Ssssshhh! Let him take on the Steel Spiders and find out :)

@Apocalypse , of course you have an evil vampire laying around. We really need to talk about your basement.

Arcane Knights that choose death weapons will struggle in areas where death damage is moot. That's part of the pros-and-cons of mage builds.

Thankfully, a mage doesn't loose the ability to use wands/staffs/spells, so they may have to go with a back-up option to take on some areas.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Fun fact: you don't need to kill with your death blade to absorb life and mana! As long as you're holding the blade in your hand when creatures are killed by your party, you get the life and mana. It works exactly like XP.

Which means you can Thunderbolt Steel Spiders into molten slag and still gain all their delicious life! Or chill at the back watching your Iron Golem pound those pesky Steel Wizards into tinfoil and still taste their precious vein juice!

PS: If you really want to kill stuff with the blade, I recommend Disintegrate. It makes you a super good warrior for one hit loll

Last edited:

lostmedi

One question will there be some new companion that is a mage role? It is that we already have three with an interesting story, but not one of the mage role. I would like there to be one with a story that is related to the main character or companion that we have in the adventure