Trap damage calculation?

cred

Hi I've been doing some Ironman runs as a melee rogue and the last 2 times I died was at the Bandit Cave near Kingsbridge. I can do the quest without issues, but when I explore it further more to the north behind secret doors I get caught in these extremely strong traps that wipes more than half my HP. I always carry alot of HP pots but I just get surprised by the amount of damage they do.

So my question: how is the trap damage calculated? in particular the spike traps. I know some of it is reduced by Armor value and I know how that works.

The damage is probably calculated based on the trap level but I'd like to have an idea of whats the maximum possible incoming damage heading my way according to the level of the traps in the area.

Skipping the area is probably an honest idea but traps will get stronger and stronger as time goes so I'd be just delaying the issue. Plus it seems to have some nice loot over there and I want to get my hands on it

Thank you for you responses I'd like CredHC the 6th to get past level 8 this time around.

VDX_360

Staff member
Per the Wiki, Spike traps cause damage at 8pts per trap level, and bear traps are much less at 4pts per trap level.

Keep in mind that several dungeons have a cluster of traps that are much higher than the other traps in the area, thus you might find yourself with a hard-to-spot, and quite deadly spike trap blocking your path.

The unexpected trap death is one of the most common ways to ruin your Ironman run.

VDX_360

Staff member
Oh, and the Combat log will record the trap level when you spot it, when you disarm it, or when it deals you damage. That might help you sort out trap information.

Bluerock Castle, being a bandit stronghold, has one of the more notable increases in trap difficulty. It's the place that will likely give you the most grief with traps. There are other areas around the world, but that castle is a tight cluster of traps.

cred

Thank you for the quick response, I swear I tried to look for that information before posting. So its simply 8 DMG X the level of the trap minus the armor protection roll you will get ?

And yes Bluerock Castle sounds like a nightmare I don't think I'll be able to even enter it without dying.

VDX_360

Staff member
Investing in trap detection / trap disarm might be helpful. Either through the range of gear that offers detection, or the trap skills. In areas you know there are dangerous traps, Scrolls of Detection can be useful.

Best trap detection tip:
Go slow in areas you know there's traps. Going slow gives your background check more chances of finding a trap.

Go in a predictable line so you can take the same way in-and-out (if you're not using a recall scroll). If you think getting killed by a trap on your way in is bad, what till you step on a hidden trap on the way out with all the loot.

Traps are a much bigger factor to consider on Ironman. An unlucky step can ruin your playthrough.

Feel encouraged, with minor adjustments or slight increases in level, you'll likely find Bluerock Castle much more managable.