Townhall Quest Problem

Invector

I'm experiencing something odd with my Townhall quests. I recently started playing another character (Cleric) and something is going on that I don't remember happening with my Mage and Warrior. I can't get the quest target (tome, seal ring, thief, etc.) to actually show up until AFTER I get all three hints. This gets very annoying when I know the target is, let's say, inside Kleyou Tomb, but it doesn't show up until I get the hint that describes which room it's in. It really sucks when I run out of hints in one town and have to travel to another to get more hints even though I know where the target is. Like I said, I don't remember this ever happening when I was playing Mage or Warrior. Once I knew that the target was in a general area I would just go there and clear it out until I found it. But right now I can't do that with this Cleric. Just a few minutes ago I started a quest in Lannager to kill a thief in New Garand Farmlands. I got the first hint that the target was in Western Varsilia, and then the 2nd hint about the farmlands. Knowing there are only two places the bandits could be, I just went to both of them. There were bandits in both places, but no target thief.
I then went to New Garand to see if I could grab the last clue. One round of drinks later I have it---the target is "near the sea". So I go back to the spot I just cleaned out a minute ago and the bandits are there again, and this time the target is with them.
The really odd thing is that when I accept a quest and get the message that my journal has been updated, it never shows up in the "In Progress" list, and yes, the "Show Townhall Quests" box is checked.
Any ideas?

VDX_360

Staff member
That seems odd. The few times I've seen this issue before, one of the following was happening:

1) Map needed to re-spawn. If you visit a map, it spawns. It will re-spawn after you stay at an inn, or if enough time passes (15 minutes?). If you activate a Town Hall quest for that map while it's active, the Town Hall quest won't load until the map re-spawns. This often comes into play when you are running a lot of Town Hall quests in a row (and thus visit the same map several times).

2) Not looking in the right spot. The oops, not the right spot issue.

3) Loading a savestate that exits prior to actually triggering the Town Hall quest. Thus, you're looking for something that's not there.

Based on what you are reporting, it seems #1 might be at play.

Invector

Thanks for the tips. #2 and 3 aren't an issue, so I'll keep playing with #1 in mind and see what happens.