Tolassian tome drop from rumor bosses needs a fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

vo1d

I've found from wiki that there is a low chance drop, so I've farmed rumor bosses with save/load to obtain it. The chance is really low, I even started to feel like it's a fake, but yesterday I've finally managed to get it from the white dragon (maybe on 60-70th try), so now I can confirm it's real but boring.

Thinking more about this situation, I have to admit that this extremely low-chance drop is generally not a good thing imo. It makes you to either waste time and save-scum, or to completely miss tome drop. Both options are kinda bad, right? I think it may be fixed in some way (drop once/drop never/drop as a reward of level difference)... Plenty of interesting options really, for instance there might be no regular tome drop at all, but a way to make boss really tough (maybe a herb or odor which makes him mad and increases stats/adds abilities) which also increases drop chance. It would be a nice challenge imo.

PS: I've seen David's statement about rumor bosses are not supposed to be grindable, but the fact is they are, so why not making it more consistent and fun? :)

SirDonkalot

Its funny how opinions in this case sometimes are the direct opposite. ;)

And in the end we are both right about it, because i get the same feeling as you when i try to hunt something activ and an item i really want "now". Thats for me the Myro Plate for my Warrior that is 90h in, while my Cleric found it on the first try from the red dragon that natural spawns in the Cave , which started the dilemma in first place, because i knew it existed :roll:

have to admit that this extremely low-chance drop is generally not a good thing imo

While grinding and leveling while hunting for rumour bosses , i sometimes wish , there is some sort of insane rare item , that may drop if you grind long enough. Something that you may not hunt in the first place, but catches you by surprise that there is "more" but not yet explored . After countless of Mausoleums runs, i found for the first time blessed leggins, which was really surprising , not really of any use since it was already obtained by the quest but yet rewarding that a rare item like that exists.

You see it really depends on what kind of mindset you are currently in.
If you really want it "now" it can be frustrating
If you get it by surprise after being hours in, it can be pretty rewarding at the same time

My Tip: dont use Wiki :mrgreen:

Knave

Wasn't that save-load exploit fixed so that the loot doesn't change when the game is reloaded?

vo1d

SirDonkalot":fy9vveq6 said:
If you really want it "now" it can be frustrating
If you get it by surprise after being hours in, it can be pretty rewarding at the same time
You will not get tolassian tome by surprise after being hours in. You have to kill hundreads of rumor bosses to achieve that, and you simply have no reason to do that (unless you hunt for something very special... like tolassian tome). That's what I'm talking about: you either grind for it (which is boring), or you'll most likely miss it completely (which is sad).

Not using wiki sounds great until you are stuck in a dungeon where you just can't use a lever for no reason))

vo1d

Knave":unkgvuzp said:
Wasn't that save-load exploit fixed so that the loot doesn't change when the game is reloaded?
No. Maybe partially but not completely, I'm affraid I can't get into details due to forum rules. Is it "exploit"? I never thought about it this way. If this is assumed to be "exploit", and if rumor bosses are not supposed to be grindable, and taking in consideration rare lich spawn, player would probably miss a lot of great gear then, not only tolassian tome :)

SirDonkalot

You will not get tolassian tome by surprise after being hours in. You have to kill hundreads of rumor bosses to achieve that, and you simply have no reason to do that (unless you hunt for something very special... like tolassian tome). That's what I'm talking about: you either grind for it (which is boring), or you'll most likely miss it completely (which is sad).

Not using wiki sounds great until you are stuck in a dungeon where you just can't use a lever for no reason))

At the end of the day it is how you approach the game.

I like how this forum is sensitive to spoilers - because it can ruin the fun. It counts for drops , quests or any kind of progress in that matter if you havent experienced it yourself before.

We both spoiled ourselfs in an unique way , because we know there is an item we want to have , but it seems rare and far away which can lead to frustration but on the other hand can lead to joy if we dont know about it.

Its not something David can change by altering the code ;)

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
vo1d":15o4qw2c said:
Knave":15o4qw2c said:
No. Maybe partially but not completely, I'm affraid I can't get into details due to forum rules. Is it "exploit"? I never thought about it this way. If this is assumed to be "exploit", and if rumor bosses are not supposed to be grindable, and taking in consideration rare lich spawn, player would probably miss a lot of great gear then, not only tolassian tome :)

If it is exploitable, please report to David how you exploited it with PM.

You shouldn't be able save and reload different loot from same rumor boss. If you're able to do this, it means there's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Kyoji

I've found from wiki that there is a low chance drop, so I've farmed rumor bosses with save/load to obtain it. The chance is really low, I even started to feel like it's a fake, but yesterday I've finally managed to get it from the white dragon (maybe on 60-70th try), so now I can confirm it's real but boring.

Thinking more about this situation, I have to admit that this extremely low-chance drop is generally not a good thing imo. It makes you to either waste time and save-scum, or to completely miss tome drop. Both options are kinda bad, right? I think it may be fixed in some way (drop once/drop never/drop as a reward of level difference)... Plenty of interesting options really, for instance there might be no regular tome drop at all, but a way to make boss really tough (maybe a herb or odor which makes him mad and increases stats/adds abilities) which also increases drop chance. It would be a nice challenge imo.

PS: I've seen David's statement about rumor bosses are not supposed to be grindable, but the fact is they are, so why not making it more consistent and fun? :)
Well , actually two of the things that limits the fun in videogames are to save/load/reload and constantly going on wiki or any sorta of guide for being able to do a quest.
In this situation we could say that the player Is forced to behave like this .
Now , like in every type of game , normally the fun comes when things come fluently and not in a forced way so I too ask for a decent drop rates of talossian tomes , expecially when after LV 25 you cannot obtain more trait points ( and I would ask for the creation of and item wich gives additional ability points too ... obtainable without wasting too much time and patience ) .
Now now , since 1' After LV 25 you do not get additional points in every thing
2' since in the game you constantly need to pass trait checks
3' since you are not so much free to replace traits points everytime and everyhow you want because the costs of NpC who makes you forget things riises in a dramatical way ( whooo horrible thing , really also because It looks like It has no limits in its rising ) ...
4' Gold coins run out very easily and you need to farm them constantly

You know , maybe the dev needs to apply some changes guided by a kind attitude , because the game itself Is top class , so why limit the fun ?

( More over I would like someone explains to me why after LV 25 you do not gain any bonus of any sorta by your next LV up , in theory I feel I somehow realize the answer but yo know , Just for understand how my thoughts are in line with the real thing )

Atomos

@Kyoji there are no additional gains after level 25 because those are unnecessary, and you can do awesome stuff without it ;). Have a look:

As for wiki dependence: I made my first playthrough as a warrior with low mental stats without checking all the good stuff and quests on wiki. Arguably it was the most fun, even though I didn't gain all the items. I highly recommend such casual playthrough ;)

Kyoji

WoW , I wonder if the other three classes could be able to do some worthy performances like that , actually with my rogue I am LV 22 and without Grissenda tanking , I have hard times with rumor bosses .
Oh Just a question now : ok After LV 25 you do not get any direct bonus from LV up but how about the bonus provided by stab and archery ? I mean , if you touch LV 100 ... Will you get the skill damage plus LV 100 multiplied per 2 ( for stabs) ?

I started as a Warrior too in the same way in a sort of " Just slash " attitude

However I still agree that a more generous % of dropping those tomes would be ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.