Thoughts on the Mage class

Elldar

Now, I know that it's a long way off, but I mostly just wanted to share some of my thoughts and speculations regarding the class.

At some point in time, I've been thinking on how the Mage was going to get implemented into the game and what kinds of skills he would have. I've seen some posts in the past that hinted at mages being focused on scrolls and preparation, and whatnot.

But the thing that peaked my interest the most was what kind of basic attack a mage would have. And what I've imagined in my mind was that the mage, instead of using weapons like every other class, would instead shoot magical projectiles, properties of which would depend on the weapon type and the elemental bonus(a weapon with a lightning bonus would shoot lightning, for example) or lack there of.

For example, a mage armed with a dagger would shoot faster projectiles than a maul, but they would be weaker. Of course, if such a system would be too complicated to implement, I figure that wands and staves would do just as well.

Your thoughts?

Sounkeng

Elldar":nfbr1wyf said:
Now, I know that it's a long way off, but I mostly just wanted to share some of my thoughts and speculations regarding the class.

At some point in time, I've been thinking on how the Mage was going to get implemented into the game and what kinds of skills he would have. I've seen some posts in the past that hinted at mages being focused on scrolls and preparation, and whatnot.

But the thing that peaked my interest the most was what kind of basic attack a mage would have. And what I've imagined in my mind was that the mage, instead of using weapons like every other class, would instead shoot magical projectiles, properties of which would depend on the weapon type and the elemental bonus(a weapon with a lightning bonus would shoot lightning, for example) or lack there of.

For example, a mage armed with a dagger would shoot faster projectiles than a maul, but they would be weaker. Of course, if such a system would be too complicated to implement, I figure that wands and staves would do just as well.

Your thoughts?

I imagine they will have access to the simplest weapons (daggers), but other than that I speculate that they will be "armed" with items like wands and tomes.

Elldar

Sounkeng":1x3gzdac said:
I imagine they will have access to the simplest weapons (daggers), but other than that I speculate that they will be "armed" with items like wands and tomes.
Yeah, I can't imagine a mage running around with a maul, either. A sword/shortsword, at best. :D
That being said, having tomes as equipment would be sick, always liked the idea of using a book as a source/conduit of arcane power.

Board Troll

One thing is certain, how it is implemented will greatly impact the way people view this game which is why I am glad the man is taking his time with it.

Elldar

Definitely, such things shouldn't be rushed, even if the prospect is exciting. From the little amount of info I've gathered in the past, it seems like the mage is intended to be a strategic class - overcoming challenges through preparation. If it's going to involve heavy use of scrolls though, I'm not sure how economically sustainable the mage would be.

Unless the mage can scribe scrolls on the go, of course, similar to how mages in Baldur's Gate did it(you had a certain amount of spells of each type that you could assign to slots and use, but to replenish them you had to rest. Recovery mechanic would be similar enough in concept, I'd wager).

Apeiros

It is fun to speculate what the mage class will be like so i'm going to take a stab at it. Based on what we have observed mechanically from the game:

There are a number of enemy types that cast spells as their primary attack. Fire imps, flamedancers, troll shamans, lightning imps, minotaur oracles, (the frog people), skeletal evokers, and a couple more I'm sure i didn't list. In my experience of fighting these enemies i have never seen one become unable to attack from lack of mana (though I'm not completely convinced enemies have mana). Based on that I am going to wager that mages will have access to some common weapons, but i will bet that they get some kind of ranged weapon that emits elemental damage. Whether it's a staff or a wand (wands may be related to the dual weilding thing) it will probably be unique to casting classes if not mages exclusively.

I will bet that they have some kind of buffs like armor or resistances. They will also probably have summons. (Maybe imps or golems). And because they need the crafting system to work, i bet they have unique items they can craft (obviously scrolls but maybe the staves and wands too).

Clearly i am not the creator, this is purely speculation but i love to speculate, so here is what i think the mage class will look like.

ArrowsFTW

I bet they will have staves and wands as weapons that can shoot some type of elemental damage just like a firebow. Their skills will determine what type of elemental damage that is

Maybe put a new attacking mechanic where they can hold the attack button and charge up and release a powerful energy blast just like Megaman.

Elldar

In my experience of fighting these enemies i have never seen one become unable to attack from lack of mana (though I'm not completely convinced enemies have mana)
Can confirm from my 10 minute fight with Lady Xidar. :D

And yeah, I guess that kind of approach to mage weapons would make the most sense. I also remember that in some game wands were faster weapons, while staves were stronger ones - maybe it'll be similar in here.

Honestly, with them most likely having the least amount of armor and health, they will have rely on some sort of defensive magic, like you mentioned. Flesh spells from Skyrim come to mind.

Maybe put a new attacking mechanic where they can hold the attack button and charge up and release a powerful energy blast just like Megaman.
While I like the idea, it seems rather too risky for EK's comabt system. Maybe if they could get an armor buff while they're at it.

Overall, knowing that the class will rely on scrolls, I hope creating scrolls won't be too expensive. :p

Loggy

I hope we get a basic attack of magic missile that get more powerful as you lvl

Elldar

I don't think that it will be needed if we will have staves and stuff, ir would be an alternative, though.