Thoughts on the Mage class

Claytopia

Here's my 2 cents on what I would implement.

Staffs to be 2 handed ranged and melee weapons.
Wands to be 1 handed ranged weapons.

Introduce tomes that give increased elemental resistance/damage soaking/ other buffs as a mage specific off hand item.

Depending on what the staff/wand is made of (young oak, mature oak, ancient oak etc) will change their damage like iron/steel/blue steel does now
Depending on their type normal/robust/gnarled etc it will change their speed/critical % chance like weapon types dagger/short sword/long sword does now.
Some to be imbued to do additional elemental damage.
To increase the damage increase your intelligence stat (like str and agi for the other classes)

Armour can follow closely to the template already in place but introduce mage specific robes/helmets/gloves/leggings/boots similar to the blessed chain/plate for clerics.

A new range of belts that are mage/cleric specific.

As for skills I would do things like
staff expert (think 2 handed expert)
summon creature x (wolf/elemental/drake) like the scrolls
shielding (increase ac and stun/ elemental resistance) or stone skin (soak x amount of damage) or blur (increase ac and reduce damage)
A walls spell that creates a wall around the caster that deals elemental damage or a blast that knocks surrounding attackers back while dealing damage.
ranged elemental area damage (fire/ice/shock ball)
Detection to find hidden stuff
Damage buff to increase damage

For advanced skills
Increase mana per stat point.
Extended summons.
Stack int stat to Armour.
Magic elemental damage that damages all creature types regardless of their elemental type.
Haste to either attack or flee faster.
Permenant elemental resistance.
Convert health to mana
Teleport that allows you to leave, return or appear in a mage tower depending on its level.

Elldar

Introduce tomes that give increased elemental resistance/damage soaking/ other buffs as a mage specific off hand item.
That's a nice idea, although I've been thinking more along the lines of Flesh spells(magical armor, basically) from TES: Skyrim, but making it like a permanent buff that takes a percentage of your mana bar or be like a passive.

Depending on what the staff/wand is made of (young oak, mature oak, ancient oak etc) will change their damage like iron/steel/blue steel does now
Quite a nice idea, actually. It makes certain sense too, like the older the wood is, the more susceptible it is to the flow or arcana. :p

A walls spell that creates a wall around the caster that deals elemental damage or a blast that knocks surrounding attackers back while dealing damage.
I suspect that it would have to be the kind of wall that moves with you and isn't just some thin circle away from you, because then enemies could just get past it and that would be it.

Of course, what classical mage has ever lacked a fireball-like skill. :D

Teleport that allows you to leave, return or appear in a mage tower depending on its level.
Again, a very nice idea. Here's hoping that it gets implemented.

timmy2times

Im guessing mages will have a spell list or book and be able to cast so many per lvl or intelligence skill and use the scrolls to copy the spell in thier book or cast and wands and stalves i personally have been waiting for this impatiently just like the newist update. But patience is a virtue

Claytopia

timmy2times":1mpatxyo said:
Im guessing mages will have a spell list or book and be able to cast so many per lvl or intelligence skill and use the scrolls to copy the spell in thier book or cast and wands and stalves i personally have been waiting for this impatiently just like the newist update. But patience is a virtue

That goes against the Mana system already in place with the Cleric.

Loggy

I hope they avoid an animal summon, the cleric already gets it and I would just have the mage do Massive damage but weak like a wet paper bag

life tiger

And let's not forget the ability to equip 2 blue steel short swords and doing a massive front flip in the air to their enemy's and when he lands he chops their arms and does a strong knock back spell sending them flying only to finish them by summoning a holy beam to incinerate their body

ArrowsFTW

How about a Tome as an off-hand weapon? Similar to the Dirks that Rogues use that gives extra MP, fire damage, ice damage, lightning damage and so on...however there are Tomes that lets you summon a creature that would act like an extra skill button but it only has a limited use say 10 times and after you use all of them you have to take them to a wizard to recharge the Tome.

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
Claytopia":1fbghesi said:
Here's my 2 cents on what I would implement.

Staffs to be 2 handed ranged and melee weapons.
Wands to be 1 handed ranged weapons.

Depending on their type normal/robust/gnarled etc it will change their speed/critical % chance like weapon types dagger/short sword/long sword does now.
Some to be imbued to do additional elemental damage.
To increase the damage increase your intelligence stat (like str and agi for the other classes)

Armour can follow closely to the template already in place but introduce mage specific robes/helmets/gloves/leggings/boots similar to the blessed chain/plate for clerics.

A new range of belts that are mage/cleric specific.

As for skills I would do things like
staff expert (think 2 handed expert)
summon creature x (wolf/elemental/drake) like the scrolls
shielding (increase ac and stun/ elemental resistance) or stone skin (soak x amount of damage) or blur (increase ac and reduce damage)
Detection to find hidden stuff
Damage buff to increase damage

For advanced skills
Increase mana per stat point.
Extended summons.
Stack int stat to Armour.
Magic elemental damage that damages all creature types regardless of their elemental type.
Haste to either attack or flee faster.
Permenant elemental resistance.
Convert health to mana

I liked these ideas very much
- I sugest Tomes not as off hand but to be eqquiped (in place of shield) increasing dmg of Wands (1h), same way Dirk and Hatchet are already implemented to increase 1h weapons dmg
- Mage could wear Cuirass and Chainmail, but never Platemail. Robes could be used by both Mages and Clerics changig player skin to the ones we already see in game. Robes could grant +1 to +3 armor but would increase Mana more than any other item and also bonuses in specific elemental damages.
- Skills like Fire Ball or Eletric Shock, cast without need of a scroll, similar to Clerics Sacred Fire
- A skill called Alchemy could be learned in Thuram (by mages and cleric). This way there would be some use to "rubish" items found in enemies like mino horns, venom sacks, sabercat eyes....
- Maybe Scroll Writing skill, but the Mage would have to learn each type (paying 5000 or more for each one) and buy blank scroll papers in Thuram or mage guilds (with a chance to fail crafting each time)

Mikkmon

How about Summon skills without scrolls?

Typically, the mages are have low H.P.
This is why mages need Tankers.

If mages are given summon skills (whether basic or advanced skill) , they can survive better.