Theses traps are killing me!

deltoru

Complete noob here, and this is only my second post to the forums. I first have to say, like most others, this game is pretty damn awesome, so thank you, developers, I can't wait for the final touches Having said that, I do have an issues​, the traps, and one in particular, not that they are too difficult, (granted, they can be challenging), they are too loud, (especially with headphones) to the point of sound distortion when they are sprung. I know the sound levels are adjustable via settings, but it's only traps that are awful, sound levels for most other events are fine. Please, developers, maybe take down sound levels a notch or two in the next update, and thanks​ for your time.

SirDonkalot

If you dont like the trapsounds, be careful if you decide to withdraw an item that is stacked from the vault
that can be quite a surpise even without headphones on..

deltoru

It's really one trap in particular, without revealing too much about location, the cage/gas trap in the desert is particularly terrible. It is loud to the point it's painful to hear, and disrupts gameplay because I have to stop and remove the headphones before entering this area.

SirDonkalot

You are right, i can remember that one aswell when i did some runs there.
Its penetrating your ear in a special way, thats for sure, even without headphones.

just keep in mind, the "developers" or creator you mentiont is basicly David with assist on some parts.
i would guess , from what i have read , his to do list is pretty packed.

VDX_360

Staff member
For summary: the sound effect for traps, esp. the gas trap in the dessert, are too loud for headphone use.

There seems to be consensus from headphone users on that point so maybe it's a quick fix like adjusting a sound level in the program (cause everything is just a "simple" adjustment right). This is a strictly a David fix as it's a code issue.

I don't use headphones as I tend not to play out in about in public, but traps do stand out as louder than other sound effects so I can see how they might be a problem for headphone users. Metallic clang noises can harder on the ears than more softer sound effects so it's no surprise the noise on them is the breaking point.

Oh, and if you think the sound of the trap closing is bad, wait till you here you the sound made when a trap kills your Level 21 Character on Ironman.... Wait, that might be my soul breaking.

deltoru

Agreed, this is a trivial issue, and not a priority. I have explored much of the game, and it looks to me the main stage of building the game is nearing completion, but any project of this order generally needs a bit of adjusting after. I think that's where things like sound effect file issues can be further examined. In other words, once done, then a bit of spit and polish. Lastly, in perspective, this is really my biggest issue with EK, the game is just sweet, all in all.

Linosaurus

Just wanted to say that I agree. The desert trap and withdrawing an item stack from the vault is indeed way too loud. But also that it's not urgent, and the game is awesome.

deltoru

Linosaurus":25t6a9xc said:
Just wanted to say that I agree. The desert trap and withdrawing an item stack from the vault is indeed way too loud. But also that it's not urgent, and the game is awesome.

Sorry, not entirely sure what this is referring to, do you mean character storage?

Linosaurus

deltoru":1qzj8rqt said:
Sorry, not entirely sure what this is referring to, do you mean character storage?
Well, I was just agreeing with you and SirDonkalot. I was talking about the vault in the town hall though it's probably the same with any chest. Taking out a pile of 30 potions is a bit loud, it seems like it might be trying to play the sound effect 30 times.

deltoru

It's all good, was just getting some clarification and the vault is a bit loud, maybe sounds are "stacked" as you say. Things like this though, don't really make a negative impact, at least for me, EK is such an awesome beast of a game, tiny issues are largely drowned out. Oh, and to further clarify how I feel about traps, I actually like the challenge, and the laugh when I miss one and it catches me. I think more, tougher traps (with better sound, of course) in certain areas would be entirely appropriate, but, again, not a priority, but maybe in a future update...