The summoner build is... underwhelming

Arator87

I’ve played through this game a couple of times as a warrior, and decided to start up again as a mage. I started out with a Lightning Bolt/Ice Storm build (with one point in Firebolt to help with Trolls), and was doing great. I just completed the last Enclave quest and travelled to Icemist to respec my skills.

I picked up Earth Mastery III and Summoner III. The first thing I noticed was that the summon is very mana-intensive (more than 50% of my total mana pool). But that’s ok, because at my level (12), the golem should be unstoppable. However, it hits relatively hard, but not often, an dies a lot. I took him on a test drive from Freetown to the castle and he died three times. Twice, he got stuck in a bush or at the bandit camp between the wall and crate and just ran on the spot while Outlaws fired arrows at him. Secondly there’s no way to heal him. I guess I need to swap out Gris for Hirge?

Finally, I don’t actually have a level 18 golem. Earth Mastery III is meant to give me a lvl 15 golem, and Summoner III is meant to add on there more levels... but my golem is still only lvl 15? Does it have a cap based on my own level? In which case I won’t get the lvl 18 golem until I’m close to lvl 18 myself, which somewhat limits its effectiveness when I can just beef Gris up?

Just wondered if anyone else has had any joy with this build at lower levels? I’m thinking an elemental build with massive crits /precision strikes is more fun and a lot more effective at this stage. I’ve just heard how powerful summoner builds are but I’m just not seeing it?

BOSTACH

summons cannot exceed the summoner's level
Summoner is indeed one of the strongest builds in the game however, from my experience focusing solely on summoner skills at low level is not a decent idea as it seems that you have forgotten about mage barrier and one of the weapons proficiency, what i would recommend is that you get fire golem at level 9 and generally focus on summoning skills at level 9 yeah at first you'll have a level 7 golem but at that level it's nothing to laugh at and it can get to your level pretty quickly, i dont know much about a melee summoner mage as the weapons skills make your weapon of choice a bit clear with that said please share your experience with such build as I'm intrigued :)

VDX_360

Staff member
Per the Wiki, Summoner is supposed to let the summoned creature have a higher level than you.... Was there a change?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Monster stats begin to increase dramatically past level 12 on each level. It's as if every new level counted twice, or three times, to reflect the curve of power of high-level creatures (and as a way to compensate the synergies between skills a human player attains on those levels). Your iron golem will become far more powerful as you gain the next three levels, you'll see.

And indeed, a summoned creature can never surpass your level + Summoner skill level. If you are level 12 you'll get 12+3=15.

There's also a level cap based on the creature summoned, which in the case of the golem is 15 (18 with Summoner III).

Arator87

Ah, that makes sense! I guess having a level 18 golem at level 12 would be hugely overpowered. I guess it makes sense to stick with my current build until level 15, and then respec.

My current build as it is is pretty powerful already. Just cleared Askatir Mine without using a single extra recovery, which from memory I couldn’t do until around level 15/16 with my warrior. For interest, my build is:

STR: 0
END: 2
AGI: 2
INT: 4
AWA: 2
PER: 4

Lightning Bolt II
Fireball I
Ice Storm I
Mage Armour IV
Wand Mastery III
Mana Surge II

Obviously respecing now means I’ll have to drop Fireball, Ice Storm and Mana Surge, with a few levels dropped in Mage Armour and Wand Mastery, which might not be worth it at my level.

Really appreciate the pointers, thank you! Also, this is the best RPG I’ve played in a long time. The perfect antithesis to the flashy hand holding games you get these days.

Wyrm

Loreseeker
I’ve played through this game a couple of times as a warrior, and decided to start up again as a mage. I started out with a Lightning Bolt/Ice Storm build (with one point in Firebolt to help with Trolls), and was doing great. I just completed the last Enclave quest and travelled to Icemist to respec my skills.

I picked up Earth Mastery III and Summoner III. The first thing I noticed was that the summon is very mana-intensive (more than 50% of my total mana pool). But that’s ok, because at my level (12), the golem should be unstoppable. However, it hits relatively hard, but not often, an dies a lot. I took him on a test drive from Freetown to the castle and he died three times. Twice, he got stuck in a bush or at the bandit camp between the wall and crate and just ran on the spot while Outlaws fired arrows at him. Secondly there’s no way to heal him. I guess I need to swap out Gris for Hirge?

Finally, I don’t actually have a level 18 golem. Earth Mastery III is meant to give me a lvl 15 golem, and Summoner III is meant to add on there more levels... but my golem is still only lvl 15? Does it have a cap based on my own level? In which case I won’t get the lvl 18 golem until I’m close to lvl 18 myself, which somewhat limits its effectiveness when I can just beef Gris up?

Just wondered if anyone else has had any joy with this build at lower levels? I’m thinking an elemental build with massive crits /precision strikes is more fun and a lot more effective at this stage. I’ve just heard how powerful summoner builds are but I’m just not seeing it?
It might be your using a wand instead of a staff. When you summon a creature knockback can negatively effect their attack. Staff offers stun. Plus with a golem and companion in the mix your more untouchable which makes orbs armor less useful. The staff damage plus stun will do quick work and keep your summoned creature alive longer. Max out your staff, mastery, summoner, lightning bolt. Dont bother with mage armor until the Ark.

BOSTACH

It might be your using a wand instead of a staff. When you summon a creature knockback can negatively effect their attack. Staff offers stun. Plus with a golem and companion in the mix your more untouchable which makes orbs armor less useful. The staff damage plus stun will do quick work and keep your summoned creature alive longer. Max out your staff, mastery, summoner, lightning bolt. Dont bother with mage armor until the Ark.
Mage armor negates traps, at least keep it at 1 its extremely useful

Arator87

Thanks for the tips everyone! I take it all back. I’m now level 14, and plumped for staff mastery, with a point each in mage armour, lightning bolt and summoner, two in mana surge, lesser summoning, and staff mastery, and three in earth elemental and arcanist, and I’m killing it! My previous play style was more cautious, telling Gris to stay put in corridors and training mobs to her in a line where I’d run behind and fire off an ice storm and lightning bolt. Now I can take on whole rooms that I couldn’t before like the earth elemental tower and the royal crypt.

Thanks again!