The Shamans' Way: New play diary (Summoner Cleric)

Kakost

Yes yes, I know I just started a Meele Rogue diary already. The thing with Meele Rogue is that I sucked big time; I played a while before (on Hard), and I sucked.

I had been playing Warrior for quite a bit previously. Before that I played Archer Rogue, Elementalist, Summoner, Arcane Knight. Recently I was in a "warrior fase".

I guess some of that "meeleness" rubbed off on me and paid off, because my Rogue improved 10 fold, and Im confident that now I can play Meele Rogue on IM without any problems.

Thing is, on the Neponde's thread about Builds, it has been suggested a "Summoner Cleric"... And I kinda fell in love with the concept, and have to try it out or I'll never have peace of mind.

I already begun, lvl 6 as of the moment, and I gotta say, Exiled Kingdoms, you never cease to amaze me... In other posts I stated my eternal disdain towards Clerics in ANY RPG (dont ever dare to suggest me to play one on D&D!)

But, just like I already declared that the Warrior of EK is the best kind of warrior I ever play... Boy, I must confess, the EK Cleric is FUN AS HELL! (may the 3 forgive my blasphemy).

Im loving it! And following the preconceived idea I have for the Summoner Cleric (I wanna take Flames of Faith and Battle Prayer), I've already adjusted my skills accordingly, so I already took the... Damn, I always forgive the name... The only direct damage skill they have, the explosive one, I also took Nivaria's-something that increases defense, for both are prereqs of the adv skills I wish, and I took heal and intervention, leaving Crusader, Arbenos Might and the defensive one untouched.

I though I would have a bit of trouble with this build but hell no, it's super easy! The damage skill is so sweet against undeads, I 1-shoot groups of Specters with it at lvl 2.

I already collected Itharrack's head, I already did "An Easy Job" for that sneaky heretic wizard, I cleared the Unkown Dungeon at lvl 2 as usual, recruited Griss and now I think I'll take Adaon for a ride so that he can help me recruit Hirge... Im not entirely sure how can I join the Holy Church of the Three, do I need to purge New Garand of the apostate heresy of the 11 and consecrate that temple in the glory of our 3 lords? Well, if it is that, I'll need Hirge first, so Im on my way to recruit her.

Oh yes, I also killed the unholy firedancer Goblin at the mine at lvl 4 - doing any less would be dishonorable in the eyes of the lords. And "Dark Matters" and that last quest you must do in order to access the Loreseekers facilities, I completed on lvl 5, so all in all, it's pretty awesome playing Cleric as well.

Yes, and this is still Trial number 1.
Post automatically merged:    

Edit: oh, I forgot to say, I also cleared the first 3 Tolassian Tombs. Great class to play, Im eagerly awaiting for my beautiful Wolf pet to be ready for summoning, I can barely wait.
Post automatically merged:    

Ok, a bit more playing before bed. I finished Mad Wizard already, where did I put my sword, I found the medallion from that spice trader but havent returned it yet (I want to access the Golden Hand first) and I recruited Hirge.

Lvl 7, this is it for today. Still on Trial 1 (and yeah, it's hard to die with Cleric, even thou I already had my fair chair of close calls).

Last edited:

Kakost

Ok, dead at lvl 8, due to my own absolutely stupidity... Out of mana, stubbornly trying to kill a minotaur lord that I knew I couldnt.

Trial 2 will begin soon. But hey, it's being a hell of fun to play Cleric, and already I've drawn several conclusions - for example, it's pratically useless to spend points on Endurance, since having mana is much better than having life - mana is basically extra life for the cleric.

The one bad thing about the Cleric is the very, very low damage. Grissenda does more damage than I, and with Cleave she does A LOT more damage.

But hey, Im TRULY playing "Cleric" - full support here, on several time what I did was healing Griss so that she would keep fighting. Very interesting playstyle.

And the damage spell of the Cleric is vert very good against though enemies or big groups. It compensates the low DPS for when you need some extra punch.

A pity I havent got to join the Church of the Three yet, but I'll go over again on Trial 2 and move foward towards the Summoner Cleric

Lamar

Ok, dead at lvl 8, due to my own absolutely stupidity... Out of mana, stubbornly trying to kill a minotaur lord that I knew I couldnt.
So sad. 😢
The one bad thing about the Cleric is the very, very low damage. Grissenda does more damage than I, and with Cleave she does A LOT more damage.
I've only gotten a cleric to 11 (non IM). I found might and a fast weapon, like a dragger, to do decent damage then swap to a slower but higher damage weapon when might wears off. I'm sure that would not hold up too well much longer. But it seemed to improve dps for awhile.

Kakost

So sad. 😢

I've only gotten a cleric to 11 (non IM). I found might and a fast weapon, like a dragger, to do decent damage then swap to a slower but higher damage weapon when might wears off. I'm sure that would not hold up too well much longer. But it seemed to improve dps for awhile.
Yeah, but it was my own fault. I was stupid on so many levels.

No biggie, I'll do it again.

I havent taken Arbenos Might, Im going for Summoner Cleric, so the only damage spell I have is Sacred Fire, because it's the prerequisite for Flames of Faith. Nivaria's Barrier I also took for being the prereq of Battle Prayer, the 2 adv skills I want for pumping up my wolf spirit. Besides that it's just heal and intervention.

I think it's a pretty solid build

Kakost

Level 1 might is far too cost effective to pass up. The damage boost, especially using mauls, is absurd for only 3 mana. I strongly recommend the point investment!
Hum... Thanks for the tip, since that was not "part of the kit", I had completely glossed over it. I didnt even took the trouble to look it up, but now that you mention, it indeed sounds like a great idea.

Ok, I'll redo all my steps. I'll also add Awa 2 (which I had completely ignored) so that I can disarm the gas trap in that tomb you have to take the medallion to recruit Hirge without needing Adaon, because I need Griss by my side there so that I can take the book to deliver to the Golden Hand, and then finally give the medallion to Frydha or something (the spice trader) so that she can help me out with the 3 vs eleven... Phew! Quite the plan that!

But all that shouldnt take long to do.

Now, back to Trial Number 2 - and no being stubbornly stupid this time (Im getting too cocky playing on IM, I must return to my "bravely coward" mindset I had the first time I played with Elementalist)

Gr8Scott

Thing is, on the Neponde's thread about Builds, it has been suggested a "Summoner Cleric"... And I kinda fell in love with the concept, and have to try it out or I'll never have peace of mind.
I'm glad the idea entertained you so much.
Battle Prayer is your contant smash button. It's a bit like having heavy hand, resiliance, & 6 resistance potions all at 1 time ...briefly.
Your spirit wolf with Summoner 3 & battle prayer & is practically immune to fire,cold, & lightening when you get there. He has damage close to maxed Fire Elemental and better defense. The weakness is the 146 HP. It's difficult to heal a summons with a companion getting the spill over 1st. And when you can't use your companion, spirit wolf usually dies before heal resets a 2nd time.
With all the skill points needed (22) for Heal, Guardian Wolf, Summon & Battle Prayer along with mana usage (65 to Summon, Battle Prayer & 1 heal, and 30 more for buff and heal again) Flames of Faith (11 SP, 35 mana) is difficult to add to the mix.
Clerics are the weakes offensive characters. I stick to Arbenos might 1 which stacks +7 on battle prayer for 2 mana & massive crit 3 for the insta-kill. Precision strikes 2 leaves 3 extra points for your option: Body develoment, crusader, intervention.
@VDX_360 put me on to this build and it's playable if you enjoy longer battles & active Skills.

Kakost

I'm glad the idea entertained you so much.
I have to thank you for this, I would never go over my clergy prejudice if it wasnt your suggestion and oh boy, Im so loving it, EK never disappoints.

Im still a little ashamed of myself for enjoying so much playing with the class of fanatic zealots but hey, what happens in the Exiled Kingdoms stays in the Exiled Kingdoms amiright
Battle Prayer is your contant smash button. It's a bit like having heavy hand, resiliance, & 6 resistance potions all at 1 time ...briefly.
Your spirit wolf with Summoner 3 & battle prayer & is practically immune to fire,cold, & lightening when you get there. He has damage close to maxed Fire Elemental and better defense. The weakness is the 146 HP. It's difficult to heal a summons with a companion getting the spill over 1st. And when you can't use your companion, spirit wolf usually dies before heal resets a 2nd time.
With all the skill points needed (22) for Heal, Guardian Wolf, Summon & Battle Prayer along with mana usage (65 to Summon, Battle Prayer & 1 heal, and 30 more for buff and heal again) Flames of Faith (11 SP, 35 mana) is difficult to add to the mix.
Hum... 33 skill points... Lvl 1 it's 1 sp, 2 sp per lvl, so I would be able to get all those at lvl 17, with 3 sp on Intervention and 1 on Thelume's wisdom, that's lvl 19 to have all the skills of the build and including Flames of Faith. Make it lvl 20 because I forgot Arbeno's Might lvl 1 (at least). Make it lvl 21 because I also forgot that Nivaria's-something is a prereq to Flames of Faith.

And ah oh yeah, it IS quite mana heavy. But Im planning on having high Per, and by the time Im lvl 21, to have lots of mana potions.

But I agree, Flames of Faith is the last priority.
Clerics are the weakes offensive characters. I stick to Arbenos might 1 which stacks +7 on battle prayer for 2 mana & massive crit 3 for the insta-kill. Precision strikes 2 leaves 3 extra points for your option: Body develoment, crusader, intervention.
@VDX_360 put me on to this build and it's playable if you enjoy longer battles & active Skills.
Im enjoying it very much. Yes, low damage but lots of functionality. I can barely wait to get the wolf and Battle Prayer, it seems awesome

Gr8Scott

I would be tempted to use Hirge, drop Heal Wounds, and use Flames of Faith instead
Interesting concept delegating healing to Hirge so you can cast and summon. Giving up damage and stun of 2-hand Griss is a tough call.

A summoned wolf, Battle Prayer, & Flames of faith damage is a great start to any battle keeping 3 characters alive for a bit. 82 mana though? Longer dungeons and boss fights will make you work to stretch that mana with lots of button pushing. Kind of like playing a melee rogue with out the kiting.