The Saga of the IM Mage

Neponde

Yes I am! I have started a new job though, and its kicking my butt. I had no idea people were actually reading this! Hah.
I'll update as soon as I can.
Post automatically merged:    

Just did a quick check where I left it, and I recall I was about to raid the bank. I waited until I had the bag of holding, which I now do, as well as the staff of seas, so I can take down the director. After taking down Kryso, I have less concern about doing so. Might have to use new staff of impact + disintegrate for golems.

I also recall I cleared out the spider grotto. The golem made it a walk in the park, plus I was quite a bit overleveled.

Last edited:
I read this because I'm too much of a coward to start an ironman playthrough myself (maybe one day I might), so it's really cool to see other people's journey. Also Goodluck with your job, hope it gets better 😄

Neponde

Finally got 20 to play this afternoon. On my way to the 'snake' i took a detour and went after kurg king. He hits harder than I expected, and I almost paid for it with a game over. But, I at last smote his ruin at my feet. Earned a magma greatstaff, a prize great enough for me to reverse my decision to go back to wands. With the staff of seas as my backup, and the staff of impact for dire straits, not too many places I don't have a good weapon for now.

Time to empty the inventory and go plunder the local mob bank.

Post automatically merged:    

Incidentally, just thought I would provide proof this really is an ironman run

Neponde

Bank robbery successful. I was definitely way over level for that. Director went down like a sack of potatoes.. Staff of seas doing 50 damage per hit.

The accountants gave the most trouble. My golem couldn't handle the tedium of dealing with them. Thankfully, paperwork goes up in flames easy.

Neponde

We had our third baby, and life has been nuts. I haven't touched any game since my last post! I'm still hoping to finish off this character, but i can't remember what I was going to do next.
Maybe go after some fire drakes.

Neponde

Well, I finally managed a few minutes to sit and play. This red beastie went down easier than I remembered.

Now, I'm going to take the winter wail and see what I can do with it.

I don't know that I have ever taken on shapeshifters with a mage before. Curious to see how it will go... I'll do some experiments with moon children quest first I think, as I can escape there easier.

Neponde

I have been finding a lot of these quests significantly easier than I remember them being. So far, at this level, I've been pretty effortlessly walking through everyone and everything.

That said, I'm not going into the sleeper temple, or taking on the triplets anytime soon. Ark first.

Considering a respec again to mage barrier. Lighting bolt feels a bit superfluous.. But then, so does mage barrier.

One quest I'm not looking forward to is 'stormeing' the castle for Griss... I've always just used speed pots to run do the necessary bits, but that feels ultra high risk with an IM mage. Anyone have any suggestions on safely accomplishing this?

Next up, the elder forest. After this quest, I feel a bit more stabilized.
I might even get brave and raid the ruby key rooms.

Neponde

Just a quick check in,
I swung by and flattened doofus grey-whatever in icemist, then gated over to go play in the forest. I'm half tempted to go scout the territory on my rogue that I've already completed the game on, because wiki info is super limited. All i can remember is that death resist is my friend.

Also swapped skills to mage barrier instead of the fairly useless disintegrate. Cost me 15000gp, but what else is gold for.