The Saga of the IM Mage

VDX_360

Staff member
Disintegrate is an awkward skill.
It's a huge pain when it misses. The aiming AI seems to ensure missing with the powered shot.
A high-level mage might find it easier just to hit someone a few times than to deal with the hassle of the skill.

BUT, if you master using it, Disintegrate can be a brutal skill to round out a mage's offensive powers.

For clarity, I'm in the camp that there's other more reliable skills.

Neponde

Still slowly picking my way through this! Playing for 20 minutes every two weeks makes for a slow playthrough.

Araim darkflames down.
Almost have the needed shards. I'm considering dashing to/through citadel so I can farm it for better gear and levels. I'm tired of twiddling through the current areas. Midgame is too easy right now, but the high end dungeons feel too risky while on ironman.

Atomos

I suggest getting Ankh of Life, and reloading inn save every time you lose it ;). It would be a shame, if a walking toaster blew up in your face ;)

Neponde

I suggest getting Ankh of Life, and reloading inn save every time you lose it ;). It would be a shame, if a walking toaster blew up in your face ;)

I had forgotten about the ankh. Thanks. Zealots suck.
Can't reload inn saves on ironman though without some cheezy trick. I'm playin for keeps.

Neponde

Found a whole 15 minutes to play.
Decided to go clear the maze, and trigger quest for citadel.

I remembered the maze being harder. Though on other characters i guess I'm here at level 9 or 10. I may be a bit over-leveled at 17.

Neponde

Another dragon, dead at my feet. Other than rumor bosses, there are not too many dragons left alive for me to hunt down.

Also did some crypt raiding. Four (extra) dead kings. Four more traits. I was waiting until I could be absolute confident of surviving the initial ambush. Having died there many times on other chars, i was taking no risks.

Before I move on to sunken citadel, I'll collect all tomes I can, to max out trait capacity. I will also need to decide whether I want the undermother hide or the flame pendant.

It is also on my radar to get Griss her skill upgrades. Though that quest scares me on ironman. I will really have to think through surviving 'downstairs'. Blasting through with speed potion and health pots and prayers seems super sketchy on ironman.

I'm also considering speccing away from iron golem again. Its safer and easier than many builds, but its also kinda boring. Another thread reminded me of how much fun I had with my elemental blaster build. Maybe its time to live on the edge a bit. However, the golem is just so useful for boss fights. Its too expensive to just flip flop at will.

I am definitely going to spec away from golem for the ark. I dread surviving the reactor, and initially obtaining protection from those red orbs has killed every single of my other characters. I like the idea of wand + death cloud. Combined with lighting bolt, mage barrier, and level 1 sparkling, i would feel pretty safe on the first floor. Might just have to farm that until i get tesla rod.

Post automatically merged:    

Current build

Last edited:

Commiades

Downstairs with the vampires is ok (if you use the secret doors); it's upstairs with the headless folk that has undone me.

Atomos

I will also need to decide whether I want the undermother hide or the flame pendant.
Why not both? Get the Corruptor staff, Melporths sword, some scrolls of circle of restoration, scrolls of summoning golems, Infantry Training and Bodybuilding skills for Grissenda, and you should be ok
I'm also considering speccing away from iron golem again. Its safer and easier than many builds, but its also kinda boring.
You'll regret doing this, sparkling cannot handle radiation at all. Just get the Lighting bolt, and Ark will be a walk in the park ;)

Neponde

I'm not expecting to use sparkling on reactor level, but on floor 2 and 3. I dont have dark whispers (for roleplay reasons), and could use a target for pew pew lasers.

And i am not bold enough to take on the unweakened undermother on my first real ironman run.