Synergy with melee rogue talents please

theSDRexperiment

Hello forum!

I am playing rogue for the first time and can’t decide how to build.

I am level 12 and so far I have the following skills invested:

Evasion III
Flurry III
Stealth I
Sneak Attack I
Stab I

And 8 points to spend right now

I do like smoke bomb with stun effect idea (evasion, flurry, smoke bomb, rinse and repeat). However in actual game any projectiles in flight already will disrupt the invisibility, and being close to enemies means you can become visible again?

I love the idea of sneak attack III and almost perma-stun tough enemies when playing with a companion (cheese)? Does that work? Also in actual game the positioning of flanking attack is too narrow and often it doesn’t trigger, so it seems like it might be frustrating?

I think Stab IV and Assisnation III is interesting and I don’t know if it had more synergy with with the rest of the kit than say massive crits and precision strike?

Which combination and play styles are possible from here and what do you recommend?

Sounkeng

There are a lot of really great ways to build rogues. My suggestion is to think outside the box a little.

For example: have you already joined the thieves guild? If not then there is something to be said about joining the fighters guild. In my game I did just that. Lets look at the pros and cons of both choices.

Pros of the thieves guild:
  • Good offhand weapons/poisonous bluesteel dagger/ best dex based belt available for purchase
  • Availability to assassinate and/or smoke bomb
  • availability of poison mastery
Pros of fighters guild:
  • cheaper top tier belt (unfortunately it is strength based)
  • heavyhand

It seems lopsided but depending on your build you may decide that heavyhand is just too good to pass up.

I'm not claiming that this is an optimal build. But in my most recent game as a rogue I built a duel wield evasion warrior build (and he really brings the pain... like an absurd amount of pain).
Build is:
  • Stab 4
  • stealth 1
  • sneak attack 1
  • Evasion 3
  • Flurry 3
  • Heavyhand 3
  • massive criticals 3
  • precision strikes 2
  • Bloodlust 1

I built my evasion warrior (ie. rogue) this way because my thinking was that a duel wield rogue would get more benefit out of heavyhand than any other build (other than perhaps a duel wield warrior)... although the best offhands are only available to rogues and evasion is probably the most powerful skill in the game.

My interest in prioritizing massive criticals over precision strikes is because the increased chance instakill is just too good, especially with rogues already relatively high crit chance.

My point is there are a lot of great builds... hopefully we'll see some other players (likely more optimized builds).