Staffs for a summoner mage.

biancajohns

I’m playing a mage and was wondering what staffs best complement a summoner build. There’s one I saw in kingsbridge that does fire damage which looks cool, the one I got now just seems kind of meh...

VDX_360

Staff member
The wiki has a list of all equipment, here's the list for staffs:
https://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/ind ... itle=Staff

For clarity, staffs are the 2-H option for mages, whereas wands are the 1-H option.

Since you didn't say which staff you currently have, one can't really compare to what's available, but, I'm guessing you're on the early game if you're eyeing the Caduceus of Scorching sold in New Garand (The Oak Wand is sold in Kingsbridge).

Staffs with Arcane attribute cost mana to use, which can burn through your mana pool if you're not careful. It's a good idea to keep at least one non Arcane staff with you as a back up option. The Mage skill Arcanist reduces the mana cost of wands and staffs.

Even summoner builds need spells and weapons to attack. Thus, if you're struggling, you might benefit from tweaking your overall build. Or just keep pushing until you get the next few wave of items/skills that work.

Keep in mind that mages start off pretty weak, no mater the build, but become strong by mid-to-late game.

VDX_360

Staff member
The staff from the Unknown dungeon can be obtained very early in the game. All you have to do is survive the dungeon.

The Staff of Mighty Missiles can be bought anytime, if you have a few thousand gold coins to spare. If you're too low level to fight the map enemies, you might have to run a lot to get there. No shame in fleeing from everything.

On the same note, if you want to really try your luck, you can go for the Staff of the Sea real early in the game. There's only a fotress of enemies and a few stun based monsters guarding it. If you can dodge all the enemies, you can pick up the staff from the floor and warp out. Maybe.

I wouldn't suggest trying for the Staff of the Storm till you can take on atleast one gem eater.

Or you can just see what catches your eye.

FeeFiFoFum

My experience with staves and wand is for damage purposes I have found that most often the staff of mighty missile is the most have as it cost no mana and in general inflicts damage on all enemies. However I always keep one of elemental fire, ice and lightning damage depending on the "boss type enemy I face". As for wands I believe you need to not only judge a wand by its attributes but remember when coupled with an Orb or off hand item you can gain a substantial defensive bonus. However the tolassian wand dealing death damage is a great option, or a general all purpose wand is the wand of the arcanist.

I believe there are some very awesome wands that can be found.

Also remember that if you master your skill set in either wand use or staff use, the bonus multipliers apply.