Spirit mechanics with stun immunity

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
Joined
14/10/2017
Messages
74
I'm currently running Iron Man (very badly) and getting close to facing the Parasite. Last time, I got mauled, and I'm wondering how much spirit resistance I should get. I'll use the Conductive Vest for stun immunity, which makes paralysis last 4 seconds; does anyone know how spirit resistance adds to this, though? From what I've seen, once you have stun immunity, spirit resistance is useless and can't stop or halve paralysis. Thanks!
 

VDX_360

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
20/01/2017
Messages
6,168
That's a great question that might need to be answered by the Developer to ensure the game mechanic is explained correctly.

Short Answer: Stun Immunity provides the 1/2 paralysis effect AFTER the Spirit Resistance calculation, making a high Spirit Resistance useful against paralysis enemies as it reduces the time and allows for a chance to block any paralysis effect.

For example, if you have 84 Spirit Resistances (pretty high) without Stun Immunity you have:
1) A 42% chance to completely block stun/paralysis
2) A 42% chance to partially resist the effect result in half-time stun/paralysis
3) A 16% chance for the full stun/paralysis effect.

With Stun Immunity, with the same 84 Spirit Resistance:
1) 100% chance to block stun, 42% chance to completely block paralysis
2) 42% chance to partially resist the effect resulting in 1/4 time paralysis (1/2 of 1/2 is 1/4).
3) A 16% chance to get half the paralysis (1/2 of full amount).

With Stun Immunity with 10 Spirit Resistance (quite low):
1) 100% chance to block stun, 5% chance to completely block paralysis
2) 5% chance to partially resist the effect, resulting in 1/4 time paralysis
3) 90% chance of half the paralysis (1/2 of full amount)

When fighting enemies with very strong, and frequent paralysis attacks, the difference is quite noticeable, esp when you end up getting repeatedly stunned without ever getting a chance to recover (think certain enemies in the Sewer of Horrors).

That is of course if I am understanding the game mechanic correctly.
 

Owns

Loreseeker
Joined
24/05/2018
Messages
193
VDX_360":3gvznwns said:
3) 90% chance of half the paralysis (1/2 of full amount)
Why isn't this 100% though? I thought stun immunity guarantees 1/2 paralysis duration
 

VDX_360

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
20/01/2017
Messages
6,168
Keep in mind that STUN and PARALYSIS are TWO DIFFERENT ATTACKS.

For resistance to Stun and Paralysis, there are two aspects at play: 1) Chance of getting stunned/paralyzed, 2) Duration of the stun/paralysis. To MY UNDERSTANDING (which could be in error), STUN IMMUNITY grants immunity to stun (100% chance to block stun) and halves the duration of paralysis. What Stun Immunity DOESN'T DO is alter the chance of getting paralyzed in the first place. That detail is only impacted by Spirit Resistance. While getting paralyzed for half the total amount is useful, against certain enemies, that could still mean death, or at least a lot of frustration. Thus, having a high Spirit Resistance will help avoid Paralysis attacks in the first place, and Stun Immunity will help reduce the penalty for failing to resist the attack.

Per the Wiki's game mechanics page (link in post above), the equation to determine if Stun or Paralysis hit in the first place is exclusively based on Spirit Resistance. If Spirit Resistance is 100, than you have 0% chance of getting hit by those effects. There might be a minimal chance, 1% or something, no matter what your Spirit Resistance is at the time. But that would need to be clarified by someone with access to the game's code.

So if you have 100 Spirit Resistance, Stun Immunity is moot. Without 100 Spirit Resistance, you should see a difference in paralysis attacks, even with Stun Immunity.
 

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
Joined
14/10/2017
Messages
74
This makes sense, but I cleared Askatir mine and Imperial Fortress today and got paralyzed 20-30 times. With 40 Spirit rating and Stun Immunity, I never partially resisted the effect. Fully resisting the effect occurred about 20% of the time, as it should have--but this leads me to believe that you can't partially resist with stun immunity. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I'm just unlucky.
 

VDX_360

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
20/01/2017
Messages
6,168
That does seem odd? Do you have screen shots of the combat log?

We might need the Developer to weigh in with the exact game mechanic.
 

p4ran0id

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
27/01/2017
Messages
2,064
RNG is a bitch! Maybe you had a bad day!

40 spirit immunity is nothing Btw...

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... esistances

With a chance of 100%-(your spirit resistance score), one receives the full blow, getting properly stunned/paralyzed. (For example, if you have a 40 spirit resistance score, the odds of this happening are 100-40=60%)
With a chance of (your spirit resistance score)/2, one partially resists the effect, getting stunned/paralyzed only half the normal period (i.e. getting only half beaten to death). (For example, if you have a 40 spirit resistance score, the odds of this happening are 40/2=20%)
With a chance of (your spirit resistance score)/2, one completely resists the effect and takes no harm. Time for revenge. (For example, if you have a 40 spirit resistance score, the odds of this happening are 40/2=20%)
 

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Joined
31/10/2016
Messages
1,390
Location
Germany
This whole matter is indeed very confusing and made me rethink what is written down in the Wiki. After digging somewhat deeper in the game files I come to the conclusion that the Wiki is plainly wrong with respect to the mechanics of Stun and Paralysis. Maybe we misunderstood what David told us or it changed over time. Anyway, here's my current understand of how things work:

Stun:

0) With Stun Immunity you always resist the effect.

Otherwise:

1) If your resistance score is >50%:
a) With a chance of (100 - resistance score)% you get fully stunned.
b) With another chance of (100 - resistance score)% you partially resist the effect (i.e. halve the duration).
c) With the remaining chance of (2*resistance score - 100)% you resist the effect.

2) If your resistance score is <=50%:
a) With a chance of (100 - resistance score)% you get fully stunned.
b) With the remaining chance of (resistance score)% you partially resist the effect (i.e. halve the duration).
c) You can never resist the effect.

Examples:
Resistance score of 20% -> 80% stunned / 20% partial resist / 0% resist
Resistance score of 50% -> 50% stunned / 50% partial resist / 0% resist
Resistance score of 80% -> 20% stunned / 20% partial resist / 60% resist
A resistance score of >=100% makes you completely immune.

Paralysis:

1) Without Stun Immunity:
a) With a chance of (100 - resistance score)% you get fully paralyzed.
b) With the remaining chance of (resistance score)% you resist the effect.

2) With Stun Immunity:
a) With a chance of (100 - resistance score)% you get paralyzed half the duration. (Note: Technically, this does not count as partial resist, although the result is the same. Hence, there is no notification in the battle log.)
b) With the remaining chance of (resistance score)% you resist the effect.

Examples:
Resistance score of 20% -> 80% paralyzed / 20% resist
Resistance score of 50% -> 50% paralyzed / 50% resist
Resistance score of 80% -> 20% paralyzed / 80% resist
A resistance score of >=100% makes you completely immune.

Summary:
Stun and Paralysis behave quite differently in some aspects. In particular, there is no such thing as a partial resist for Paralysis. Also, the current mechanics as written in the Wiki seems to be wrong. But before I start to change it, I would like to be sure that what I wrote here isn't complete nonsense. So any confirmation or falsification based of in-game observations is highly welcome.
 

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
Joined
14/10/2017
Messages
74
I equipped all my Spirit gear and faced a few Carrion Eaters.
-With 102 Spirit resist, I had a 72% chance of resisting paralysis.
-With 128 Spirit resist, I had a 79% chance of resisting.


So I'm pretty sure resisting follows the same logic as other resistances:
With less than 50 Spirit resistance, you resist with (score)% chance.
With 51-80, you resist with 50 + (score-50)/2 % chance.
With 81-110, you resist with 65 + (score-80)/3 % chance.
With 110-210, you resist with 75 + (score-110)/4 % chance.

Stun Immunity does nothing to your scores; for paralysis, if you fail to resist, it just halves all durations.


I let an orc trooper beat me up for a few minutes to figure out Stun, and it works similarly; it just divides your chance of failing to resist in two, which becomes partially resisting.
So, for a score of 50, it's a 50% chance of resist, 25% of failing, 25% of halving.
With 80, it's 65% chance of resisting, 17.5% chance of failing, and 17.5% chance of halving.
Once you get over 100 resistance, however, you cannot partially resist a stun. This number seems kind of arbitrary, so it's probably wrong.

Also, when halving the duration, values are rounded down--so a halved 1-second stun lasts 0 seconds.

Mod Note: avoid full quotes please!
 

Top