Somewhat new player looking for some tips

Kelion96

I bought this game on my phone a while ago and played to about level 5 - ish? Back then, I only played the free version and grinded in most of the free areas without really doing much exploration. I recently re downloaded it and actually purchased the full version ( I wish I had known about the Steam version before I did this, but oh well ) and haven't really gotten quite as far yet, I am level 5 and I got Grisilda ( I don't remember her name, red headed follower ) and explored the two dungs in the first area, and the one in the graveyard outside of... I wanna say New Garan(?) and obviously the one required for the follower. I know there's another in the area north of the starting town, but if I remember correctly, there's some tough guys in there and a wyvern, so I'm gonna level quite a bit before I tackle that one again. I've played Diablo 2, Divine Divinity, and the classic Fallout games, almost beat FO2, so I am somewhat familiar with these oldschool types of games but not super comfortable enough to even try playing on higher than the easy difficulty. Yeah yeah, I suck. Was just looking for some advice and tips for the game itself or some advice to make the early levels a bit more manageable. I started as a warrior, as I often do in pretty much every game ever.

VDX_360

Staff member
First, take this. It's dangerous to go alone.

Second, I'll suggest sticking with Sword and Shield for a bit as that might give you some more durability. Make sure to invest heavily into STR and END (for now as a beginner).

After knocking out the first few dungeons near Lannegar, feel encouraged to start wondering over to Kingsbridge. Follow the Main Quest story arc about the letter. Once outside the Unknown Dungeon (you'll know it when you find it). You can start to explore the world in earnest. Check back with pros and cons of your experience for more nuanced feed back.

VDX_360

Staff member
Here's a list of quests, sorted by difficulty. It's one of many out there (all with some variation). Not a prefect map but might help you navigate the world if you get frustrated (say by running into giants way too early).

Kelion96

I planned on using sword(or axe) and shield already, it's what I do with most games (I'm very basic, what can I say?) but from what I read when leveling, it seemed STR would be more useful for two handed weapons. According to the extra info on Str(In game) STR only effects hand weapons and 2-handed weapons each point and hp/level every two points. As far as light weapons ( which I'm assuming axes and one handed swords are) it only gives you an extra 0.5 dmg per point whereas Agl gives a full point of dmg each point.

As far as exploration goes, I've already been to Kingsbridge and New Garland(however it's spelled) as I said in my original post. I have played a little bit, I just haven't yet left the starting kingdom or made it past level 5 - 8 ( don't remember exactly )
Post automatically merged:    

Btw, I do appreciate the links. They've been helpful

VDX_360

Staff member
Yes, STR is more useful for 2-H weapons.

When I go 1-H weapons, my STR tends to be higher than the AGL for most of the game, but by end game they tend to be about event.

STR gives more of a damage boost to 1-H weapons than AGL, but sooner or later the trait points to raise STR are more than the cost of raising AGL by 2. And even when it's not quite off-set that way, there's other benefits to raising AGL.

For example, if you have STR 6, and AGL 2; it would take 7 skill points to raise your STR to 7, or to raise your AGL two levels to 4. The first option gives you more damage and some HP, the later gives you extra damage, extra defense and better chance with traps. Pros and cons.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
As far as light weapons ( which I'm assuming axes and one handed swords are)

No, Light weapons SAY "Light" on them, but for reference they are Daggers, Shortswords, and Hammers. Hand weapons are Axe, Longsword, Mace. 2-Handed weapons are Greataxe, Greatsword, and Maul.

For "sword & board" (weapon & shield) builds you can build a reasonable Warrior using Light weapons, however one of the best Warrior advanced skills (Infantry Training) requires a Hand weapon & Shield, NOT a Light weapon & Shield. For this build I would suggest relatively equal Str, End, Agi. You get damage from Str and Agi, defence from Agi, and with Body Development advanced skill you will get masses more HP from End and Str.

You get the opportunities to repsec your character (Attributes and Skills) so don't worry too much about messing your build up.