Some questions about armor and resistance

KYTX

Translator
DavidBVal":1a830c53 said:
Great idea!

KYTX":1a830c53 said:
Q2. There is no clear explanation of what happens when your res goes above 210? Do you get healed? And what about negative resistance? You obviously take extra damage but are there the same points (-50,-80,-110) at which the coefficient changes, or is it different?

There's no difference between having 210, or 10000. It will never heal you based on your resistance, but on a specific flag some creatures get.

So, is this flag some sort of an attribute to the monster? Is there any way at all for me as a player and forum/wiki user to know if it's a healing monster? For a healing one, what's the math? And how exactly does the negative resistance work? From 0 down to -273.15 :) ?

toopa

Translator
If I'm not mistaken, I once read on the wiki that negative resistances work exactly the same as positive ones, just that the damage is not substracted but added.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
KYTX":1v43qadc said:
DavidBVal":1v43qadc said:
Great idea!

KYTX":1v43qadc said:
There's no difference between having 210, or 10000. It will never heal you based on your resistance, but on a specific flag some creatures get.

So, is this flag some sort of an attribute to the monster? Is there any way at all for me as a player and forum/wiki user to know if it's a healing monster? For a healing one, what's the math? And how exactly does the negative resistance work? From 0 down to -273.15 :) ?

Negative resistance is absolutely proportional, unlike positive resistance. i.e., -140 resistance will cause +140% elemental damage. There's no "absolute zero" either ;)

The attribute is listed in the wiki as far as I know. check: http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... _Elemental and you can see "toxic elemental". There's a flag called Ghost for death damage, and no flag for Spirit.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
And before you ask, when a monster is flagged to be healed by special damage, resistance is ignored. It should probably have a zero listed for clarity, but flags didn't always exist and some monsters were simply highly resistant, etc.

KYTX

Translator
So, I gotta ignore Acid Elemental's 250 res to Toxic, so how much is he getting healed? And, if again I'm getting it right, he's immune to Death but doesn't get healed from Death attacks.

There aren't any Spirit elementals, so no monsters heal off Spirit. What about Death? Who gets healed from it apart from Ghosts and Wraiths who as I remember do heal?

toopa

Translator
DavidBVal":3l9m9s30 said:
Negative resistance is absolutely proportional, unlike positive resistance. i.e., -140 resistance will cause +140% elemental damage. There's no "absolute zero" either ;)
Am I missunderstanding something or is the wiki wrong?

"When wearing specific equipment, it is possible to have negative resistance values. In those cases, the same rules apply, but instead of reducing the damage by a certain percentage, it is effectively enhanced. "

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
toopa":3mq6yo3y said:
DavidBVal":3mq6yo3y said:
Am I missunderstanding something or is the wiki wrong?

"When wearing specific equipment, it is possible to have negative resistance values. In those cases, the same rules apply, but instead of reducing the damage by a certain percentage, it is effectively enhanced. "

Wiki is wrong in that regard, then.

VDX_360

Staff member
Wait are you using a static spread sheet or an Excel sheet with all the equations built in so once the weapons are put in, it does the math (and thus much easier to update)?

Either way, it's going to be a lot of work.

KYTX

Translator
I can't be bothered switching to a windows machine to do a VBA script. I'm using Excel for Android, so only equasions, no cyclic algorithms. At first I thought it'd be hard but I found a workaround to the hardest part. It looks ugly af but it seems to work.

Main issue was working out probabilities for damage taken, given the 20% mechanic, so dispersion was not the same function all the time. Then I threw the whole (well, most of) the probability theory stuff out because all the random values are discrete (thanks to his rounding). Instead I have a large (101x101) table with all Armor and all Attack values from 0 to 100. For each of 10k+ cell I wrote a simple IF clause that reflects the 20% min damage mechanic. Now, when you know specific weapon's min and max attack and your min/max armor, you get a rectangular subset of the table with all the possible damages. Find average of that and that'll be your expected physical DPH. Add that to elemental DPH which is easy to count, times weapon speed/10 and you have the expected DPS of a given weapon against a given target.