How to? Solo play difficulty curve in non-meta build

How to do something?

2H warrior solo

Anybody tried beating the game solo?
I have a lv13 Heavy warrior character in normal difficulty, 30+ quests done without using companion. But it is kinda boring without permadeath.

In the hardest difficulty, how much of the game content should i expect to complete solo/with minimum companion utility.

Build-
1 SP in whirlwind(this helps in solo)
Maxed recovery(so i barely use potion and never spent gold for potion),
maxed cleave,
Currently maxing Heavyhand.

Traits- strength&endurance only

Weapon- icy steel Gsword/blue steel Gsword.

Whirlwind+maxing recovery in early game, then cleave until heavyhand. How useful this build path will be for hardcore difficulty?

Is there any particular class effective for solo runs?

Molokot

If you play on hard, monsters are stronger, and most importantly you cant save in dungeons, you can clear whole content with warrior , maybe except lazy devil. You should have stats at 4+,4+,6, 3,2,3, because you need 3inteligence and 3 personality for quests also in ark you may want 3 perception to avoid fighting horror , but you can also kill him.
Most important sekondary skills for warrior are crit chance and crit damage and hp buff, and from primary also fury.
I am not sure if it is realy possible to play easily with 2h build, because you need infantry training and it only works with 1h weapons and shield. And end game diffrence in damage between best 2h adamantite sword and best 1h adamantite sword is very low, due to 1h sword having better crit chance.
If you want to play iron man only diffrence from hard is permadeth and i personaly dont like it, but it is possible , just maybe first finish game without it , to have better understanding of topografy , bestiary and quests you will have to do.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The best classes for Solo runs is Cleric as they have Heal and Intervention; and Mage because they have stupendous powers and can create a Companion on-the-fly.

Hard is noticeably harder than Casual, Ironman is Hard coupled with permadeath.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I once got through the game as a solo weather-mage, Emma Storm, without companions, without mercenaries and without summons. At hard difficulty. It was ridiculously hard!

At first, I thought I'd level up faster because of the 20% xp penalty for companions. Turns out it's the opposite! Even with the 20% penalty, companions increase significantly the level of quests and enemies you can beat, and earn you a lot more xp faster.

And frankly I felt alone, missed my buddy Pikablue the lightning imp. And I missed Adaon's twisted sense of humor. But I did it. Saved the world and all.

Never have I ever died and reloaded so often... Lolll

Arcanmaster

If you play without companion you may want to use strong summon scrolls that need mana, so Magical Training should be useful.

VDX_360

Staff member
Rogues have the hardest time on a solo run compared to the other classes. Here's the breakdown on what helps each class do well on a solo run.
2-H Warriors. Max Whirlwind + Max Charge really just tears up everything.
Summon Mages. A Level 18 Iron Golem makes a Companion obsolete.
Clerics. Summon Wolf or with Duel, either option helps out.
Rogues. Assassin, or ranged, have made it through, it just offers less room for error.

Summon scrolls, the recently added Beast Mastery Skill, and even the occasional throw-away mercenary can help take off the pressure for a solo run.

The hardest parts of the game for solo runs are the early mid-game when you're still pretty weak, and the Sewear of Horrors, which is just hard even under the best of circumstances.

For tracking purposes, there are two types of solo runs. Just leaving your Companion at home, or not completing quests for Companions. There's no real benefit either way, just a player preference.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
As I play a mage mist of the time, I can vouch for the Iron Golem haha! But all big elementals are excellent. If you want to play solo, I still strongly suggest getting the 3 companions for their special quests. They are so much fun!

Trace Da Cruz

My mage build was more like a heavy archer than a mage, no spells no summoning, just staff damage, and Disintegrate as only spell, however I played on casual, for I was figuring the game back then (it was my second run ever)
I'm not sure about a solo run, but the build is very effective -well I'll try on hard mode and find out.

SlothPrince

An Ironman run is hard on its own, but without an companion on ironman i dont think anyone has done it.
I have done this several times now. Easiest for me is with Cleric warrior. I like solo runs except for with rogues. Rogue I dislike doing it with the most.