Skeletal bow should cost more

Ridenberg

Translator
It drops from lvl 14 blood wraiths with not that big chance (not small either though), only accessible after getting "Like father, like son" quest, it is on par with Jester's bow that costs a 1000 (It has more DPS than Skeletal bow, but less armor penetration), and I personally obtained Jester's somewhere at level 10-11, while at the time of completing "Like father, like son" I was at level 16, and even then I got lucky that the boss didn't aggro on me at first, so I could kill his minions, heal, and only then attack. Was on the edge of death nevertheless. It is better than Poisonous longbow that drops only from lvl 17 (may be mistaken) Bandit king surrounded by tons of healers and minions in high-level dungeon, and... it costs 50 gold. Iron Greatsword's buying price is 60. Also Screaming mace costs 137, which is also underpriced I think. These item costs are probably bugs, so I submit it to Support. For clarity, by item cost I mean selling price

Edit: As I ventured into the City of the Ancients I found Lady's Eye - a bow with exactly same stats, except that it deals 4 frost instead of 4 death damage, and also it has 1% less crit chance so it's even worse than Skeletal bow. The Lady's Eye costs 100 gold while being slightly worse than a bow which costs 50

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Minotaur Axe is strictly speaking a superior weapon to Bluesteel Greataxe but BG costs 120 gp more.

Not every cost is rational.

VDX_360

Staff member
David the Developer has commented before that not all pricing is linear, and not all equipment drops are going to blow you away. You might find a item early and it's awesome. You might find it later, and it's less useful. You might something that's totally useless.

That's not a bug. That's a design choice.

So this is a feedback post, reasonable feedback, but still feedback.

Ridenberg

Translator
That's a weird design choice, to be honest, considering these 2 bows (Skeletal and Lady's Eye) are kind of endgame

Molokot

They arent, not even close. You have wyrmslayer/trolhunter, jester and bow from ark as fast bows and composite bow, bow of malan and permafrost bow , from slow bows. Each one of those 6 way better than skeletal or lady .

You are just misguided by dps shown or wiki, as i said earlier would happen . This dps on wiki means nothing.
I.e . Jester bow is shown as lowest dps of all, and you will easily find on this forum , many people who would swear on life of their grandmothers, thet its a best bow in game. And higest dps bow is in fact composite bow, because it has "real" damage , and not something + something.
But fast bows have their uses, especialy if you will add poison to them.

skeletal bow and lady eye are neither fast nor strong and they are priced just fine for what they are worth :D

Last edited:

Ridenberg

Translator
. You have wyrmslayer/trolhunter, jester and bow from ark as fast bows and composite
What the hell did I just read

Edit: Alright, my bad here. Wyrmslayer/Trollhunter bows aren't useless, they have 15 speed. Gotta go and obtain them from rumor dragon bosses or 2 dragons that don't respawn and can either drop them or not

Trollhunter - completely useless. Wyrmslayer - completely useless but also damages beasts more.
Jester's - doesn't penetrate armor, good damage against unarmored.
Composite - good damage and penetration, but no elemental damage.
Malan - only obtainable at very high lvl because you need Adaon as a companion for this, therefore you don't have a tank, and you need to complete a high lvl dungeon that way.
Permafrost - you need to gain reputation with Varannari, then kill a dragon at Deep Cauldron, then complete a long quest killing another dragon and a lot of nightwalkers on the way, and only then... you need to kill 3 bosses that stand next to eachother and have insanely high level.
Ion Recurve - literally obtainable only at Ark, what else needs to be said?

Trollhunter/Wyrmslayer - not even close to Skeletal/Lady's Eye
Permafrost/Malan/Recurve - at the time you obtain them you will be almost at endgame
Composite/Jester - situational

As a result, only 2 of these bows are obtainable at same or lower level as Skeletal/Lady's Eye and are as good as them. And even then, Jester's doesn't damage bosses, and Composite hasn't got elemental damage.

And even if they would somehow be outclassed by 1-5 +2 fire damage bow, 50 gold is not what they are worth, considering you can't even buy an Iron Greatsword on that money, and they are looted in mid-level dungeon from 14 lvl Blood Wraith

Last edited:

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
You are just misguided by dps shown on wiki, as i said earlier would happen. This dps on wiki means nothing.
The DPS values shown in the Wiki are calculated in the same way (+/- some rounding errors) as the DPS values displayed in the character sheet. That's the whole point of it, to be consistent with the in-game information. So we will definitely not change anything regarding DPS calculation as long as David doesn't change the way he calculates it in the actual game.

If you want to propose a different figure of merit which might be more useful in a wide range of situations, feel free to post the corresponding formula (preferrably in a separate thread) and we can discuss whether this could be added to the Wiki as an additional information.

I have attached the current DPS formula (used in-game as well as in the Wiki) for your convenience below.

((1-crit_chance)*(min+max)/2 + crit_chance*(max+1+Floor[crit_mult*max])/2 + extra_dmg)*speed/10
  • min/max ... base min/max damage
  • crit_chance ... critical chance
  • crit_mult ... critical multiplier
  • speed ... weapon speed
  • extra_dmg ... extra elemental damage

Molokot

Well only reasonable way to count dps is to count physical and elemental damage separately, and thats it .