Shield Expert

ArrowsFTW

Anyone uses this skill? It seems mediocre for the price skill vs the benefit of the skill

Dimidium

I am not a fan of the One-Hand builds as you already know, but I love this skill, especially for my companion.

Shield Expert is the one of the main skills that defines the Sword and Shield builds that succeed. As you already know, if you use a shield, the minimum damage you'll take is lower than if not using a shield. The difference is considerable. So, this effect is greater with the Shield Expert skill.

In addition to the standard defense boost with a shield, the extra defense (+4) from ranged attacks pretty much lets you shrug off ranged attacks from weak creatures. With maxed Shield Expert, you're looking at a minimum of 7 extra damage resistance vs. Ranged Attacks, just from the skill itself, not the shield you're using.

With the skill Resistance, you'll define what a tank really is, because you could get a possible +14 Armor from Resistance and another 3 from all attacks passively.

This skill also lets you wear equipment that doesn't have the best defense in the game, but instead allows greater diversity to tailor your character without much worry of your Armor getting too low.

If you use Grissenda and give her this skill, she seems to last much longer and can soak up much more damage.

I didn't mean to write a book on this subject, and I'm far from an expert with the S&S builds, but this is one awesome skill for the people who can use it.

ArrowsFTW

Dimidium":1eg72sua said:
I am not a fan of the One-Hand builds as you already know, but I love this skill, especially for my companion.

Shield Expert is the one of the main skills that defines the Sword and Shield builds that succeed. As you already know, if you use a shield, the minimum damage you'll take is lower than if not using a shield. The difference is considerable. So, this effect is greater with the Shield Expert skill.

In addition to the standard defense boost with a shield, the extra defense (+4) from ranged attacks pretty much lets you shrug off ranged attacks from weak creatures. With maxed Shield Expert, you're looking at a minimum of 7 extra damage resistance vs. Ranged Attacks, just from the skill itself, not the shield you're using.

With the skill Resistance, you'll define what a tank really is, because you could get a possible +14 Armor from Resistance and another 3 from all attacks passively.

This skill also lets you wear equipment that doesn't have the best defense in the game, but instead allows greater diversity to tailor your character without much worry of your Armor getting too low.

If you use Grissenda and give her this skill, she seems to last much longer and can soak up much more damage.

I didn't mean to write a book on this subject, and I'm far from an expert with the S&S builds, but this is one awesome skill for the people who can use it.
Do you think it should be improved more due to its skill price I mean come on why pay 3 skills points for just an additonal +1 in Def. I rather spend those 3 on other skills. If anything I think the skill price should be lowered down. And it is the essential for a sword and board build but I think it needs more improvement

Dimidium

I think it needs to be changed. Yes, it needs to scale ratther than be a fixed bonus.

It should go something like this instead:

Level 1: +1 Armor / 5 levels
Level 2: +1 Armor / 4 levels
Level 3 +1 Armor / 3 Levels.

Maybe not exactly like that, but it needs to scale with level, because that +3 is HUGE in the beginning levels, and not much by the end.

ArrowsFTW

Dimidium":3vldv3yv said:
I think it needs to be changed. Yes, it needs to scale ratther than be a fixed bonus.

It should go something like this instead:

Level 1: +1 Armor / 5 levels
Level 2: +1 Armor / 4 levels
Level 3 +1 Armor / 3 Levels.

Maybe not exactly like that, but it needs to scale with level, because that +3 is HUGE in the beginning levels, and not much by the end.
Holy crap this might be the best solution for this skill. And yea endgame wise the skill is bunk

Apeiros

Good points about shield mastery. The real value of the skill is that is the only source to my knowledge of ranged missile damage mitigation for warriors. I recently ran two warriors up to level 15, one zweihander and o e sword and board. At the upper levels tanks do not appear to benefit greatly from a few points of armor. In fact, armor only mitigates melee damage, which is important but similar to resistance in function. What i found interesting was that before the latest patch, they actually did similar damage. But i digress.

Dimidium

Apeiros":3smdrqf0 said:
Good points about shield mastery. The real value of the skill is that is the only source to my knowledge of ranged missile damage mitigation for warriors. I recently ran two warriors up to level 15, one zweihander and o e sword and board. At the upper levels tanks do not appear to benefit greatly from a few points of armor. In fact, armor only mitigates melee damage, which is important but similar to resistance in function. What i found interesting was that before the latest patch, they actually did similar damage. But i digress.

As I said in another post, Resilience is the key to add to shield mastery. It's a potential +14 Armor (Plus your shield, Plus it's Mastery) for 10 seconds. That's certainly stack-able with an Armor potion and that would lead to some insane minimum damage, especially at Range, where you get an additional +4 passively from the Mastery. I think you could shrug off a Troll hit with that Tank Build.

I just thought of this while I was replying to you:

That new rage skill should shrug off a certain percent of damage, instead of what it does now. -20%/-30%/-40% for skill levels 1,2, and 3 respectively. That's what Berzerkers are known for. The ability ignore some damage for a short time.

lord_cabbageslayer

ArrowsFTW":uriyucis said:
Anyone uses this skill? It seems mediocre for the price skill vs the benefit of the skill

It is... lacking something. I usually sword-and-board for agi... without it.

On a similar note, I don't know why everyone was bitching about (now-primal) icicle; it was inferior to poisonous bluesteel, and just gave agi fighters a lesser equivalent. Back to the topic, though...

In the *last* shield thread

index.php?mark_notification=40062&hash=47945c29

(in which I embarass myself trying to deduce game mechanics), it was suggested that shield expert also lowering minimum damage might balance it out; it needs *something.* Since bloodlust's strength bonus stacks quite beautifully with 2H (which ALSO has a nice stun), it's possible that it might end up a shield-expert-dependent advanced skill if it gets implemented.

SOMETHING needs to be done. Right now, shield + skill points > shield + shield expert...