ROGUE CHALLENGE: The Varannari Albino

Molokot

Well "i am a single player" challenge has many dificulity levels.
Mage or cleric on easy would be easiest one and warrior on hard most dificult.I doubt it is possible with rogue without skiping lot of content ,and that would be little fun.
Self imposed challenges adds a lot of role playing flavor to games, but its a first time i ever see a thread about sharing them with other people.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The rogue would be doing a lot of retreating but that's possible with Speed, Stealth and Smoke.

The Warrior would be relying on potion & scroll management.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Bear in mind you do not need metal or technology to make bows, there are a ton of videos on Youtube showing you how to make a Stone Age / Neolithic bow. Certainly metal helps speed up production and effectiveness, but they are not necessary. "Primitive people could be highly inventive.

How is Winter Wail an authorised weapon? I don't get this. Its an Imperial longsword. Did you mean a different weapon? You mean Ancestral Blade of the Deer, right? The good news is Void Lord and Shadows in general have low resistance to cold.

That I can see obviously OK weapons are Cursed Fang (from corrupted Sabercats, the only offhand weapon), Bone Shiv, Hunter's Mark (Varannari made), Goblin Flesh-Cutter, Sacrificial Dagger (Varannari made), Hunter's Fang (Varannai made), Ancient Fang (Primeval Bear), Devourer Sting (Devourer).

How about Skeletal Bow & Ghost Eye? Bone, right?

Which means... presumably the only way for a Rogue to kill Trolls is Explosive Traps?

Here's a proposal, as the only other "Beast Slayer" bow, and fire, let's give Wyrmslayer a backstory of being Varannari enchanted?

If we're "allowed" to do a Warrior version or "Druid" (Cleric) run (the Varannai have both) that opens Bone Mace / Mystic Bone Mace, Bone Maul; potentially Screaming Mace and Lord's Fist too.

For that matter, and only my opinion: ignore the backstories of the companions and make them fellow Albino Varannari and have them with the same restrictions. Make a TRIBE. Otherwise you're just going to load-up your significant other with all the metals and whatnots which defeats the vibe.

As or the Undermother, I think stick with your first thought and ban the Tower of Tremedan. Whilst The Undermother's Hide is 5 armor and great, Hunter's Armor is 4, so it's not a huge loss, and it's very easy to get Lionskin Cuirass (3 armor) early on.

Other than that, Cloak of the Bear seems to be the best coat but good luck getting it. Vorator Hide Mantle or Primeval Mantle the peak until then.

Are all the leather-looking Belts okay? They look like they have some studs in the pictures...

Feet wise, Jungle Boots, Assassin's Boots, Sharkskin Boots, and Ruined Dragoon Boots look the best, along with Mystic Sandals / Sorceress' Sandals / Sandals of the Saint for any "Druids" out there.

Hands looks pretty obvious with Explorer Gauntlets and Gloves of the Explorer being the best by far.

For the head it doesn't get any better than Assassin's Hood (R), Hood of the Hermit ("Druid"), or Cowl of Fellowship (W).

For the thighs, Lionskin Leggings and Hunter's Leggings are the peak; Assassin's Leggings until then (Conjurer Pantaloons or Breeches of the Mad Wizard for Druids).

Neck it's Amulet of the Forest and Amulet of Wilderness due to manufacture, Bloodied Scarf or being silk, arguably Ursan Charm, and for "Druids" Necklace of the Depths (enchanted sand), Shaman Charm / Charm of the Great Seer. Can we assume the charms are "natural"?

Grinding Kurgua Cave for four Ivory Rings is going to be a BEAST of a job!

Oh wow, you did a complete inventory of equipment! That's amazing!!!

About Winter Wail, you're right, it's of Imperial origin. But once it transforms into Ancestral Blade of the Deer, it becomes a true Varannari weapon, therefore becoming authorised! (It's technically the same sword lol)

You're also right about the trolls being a problem. I did have to let Grissenda give the finishing blow with her Magma Sword everytime, it was painful. Wyrmslayer would need an alternative Varannari origin story. But instead I'd like to go with Ilikegame's suggestion of allowing Flaming Warhammer, since it's described as being made of molten rock held together by magic. Icicle and Primal Icicle would also be allowed, as they're made of ice. (PS: how do you link to the weapons' pages?)

Belts have metal studs. Plus, our sacred ancestors didn't even wear pants, so no loll

The bows made of bone seem like a nice addition to the Varannari arsenal!

Ursan Charm is clearly metal, so no. But the other charms look natural, yes! Probably made of bull hair :)

I really love your idea of an Albino Varannari Tribe, making our companions Varannari and limiting them to the Old Ways too. During my playthrough I felt like a weakling compared to Grissenda. She wore so much metal she looked like a robot from the Ark loll

Finally, you're absolutely right, playing this Albino Varannari scenario would be awesome too as a warrior or cleric. The cleric could learn summon wolf and the summoner skill, which would be very cool. How should we officially rename the classes? Ideas:
VARANNARI HUNTER (Rogue)
VARANNARI DRUID (Cleric)
VARANNARI BARBARIAN (Warrior)

Creating a VARANNARI WITCH OF OROGG for mages challenge would be awesome. But it would need its own story and restrictions. Right now I'm playing a mage named "Syllara Reborn" as a witch, and I can't wait to get my hands on The Corruptor staff and murder Laughing Deer lol

I'm also thinking of making a Cleric challenge to play a TOLASSIAN HIGH PRIEST OF TOL, born in The City underneath Lannegar's mine 1000 years ago and raised by Tol to find His Broken Crown and prepare His return!

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
You also can use wiki BBcode (wiki)name of wiki page(/wiki), but with [] brackets, not (), or use W icon instead chain icon in toolbar. Name of wiki page must be correct, otherwise link wouldn't work, i.e. it would link to none existing page (which is a way to open a new page in wiki).

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The easiest way to link pages is to go to a Wiki page where they are linked (not the page itself), and highlight and CTRL-C the link and paste here. The Windows technical background gubbins does the linkage for you.

Icicles are stated to be of Imperial origin. I don't understand how a "back to basics" anti-Imperial tribe would be okay with that. Flaming Warhammer at least could be made by the tribe, stolen and appropriated by the church The Three.

I quickly ran into a problem with the Cleric: weaponry. Fleshcutter is Rogue. That changes the early game curve. That really puts you as punching your way through Lannegar Mine for Sacrificial Dagger or Hunter's Fang, NOT fun. I suppose one can do an invisibility / speed / recall run to get Gris and/or Flaming Warhammer "cheaply".

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
The easiest way to link pages is to go to a Wiki page where they are linked (not the page itself), and highlight and CTRL-C the link and paste here. The Windows technical background gubbins does the linkage for you.

Icicles are stated to be of Imperial origin. I don't understand how a "back to basics" anti-Imperial tribe would be okay with that. Flaming Warhammer at least could be made by the tribe, stolen and appropriated by the church The Three.

I quickly ran into a problem with the Cleric: weaponry. Fleshcutter is Rogue. That changes the early game curve. That really puts you as punching your way through Lannegar Mine for Sacrificial Dagger or Hunter's Fang, NOT fun. I suppose one can do an invisibility / speed / recall run to get Gris and/or Flaming Warhammer "cheaply".

Oh damn it, you're right, Clerics don't have any natural weapon at the beginning. We'll just have to make Hirge into a Varannari (but only on her dad's side, her mom is of imperial descent!)

I just verified the icicles' manufacturing process, and sadly you're right, they are imperial. I thought they were magical shards of ice. Let's throw those industrialised imperial trinkets into the volcano!!!
Post automatically merged:    

Press the chain thing and you'll know what to do.

Red moon gives you her pants though.

Thanks!

Hahaha oh yeah, she did give us her pants... She was clearly raised by impiri in Lamis.

We need a new character sprite that doesn't wear pants.

Deleted member 28869

I thought any weapon was fine unless it was made of metal.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I thought any weapon was fine unless it was made of metal.

The idea is to reject the impiri civilisation and industry as a whole, and to honor nature and Varannari tradition. Live as close to nature as possible. In the end, it's up to the player, how you imagine each piece of equipment is made, and how you wish to play your Varannari character.