Replying to old threads

Equinox

"Before opening a new topic, search if the question was asked before. Search really works!"
From the forum rules. I have spent ages, using the search engine to look for answers to my queries and in my searches, there are often topics which I would like to discuss. So I find myself in a position chancing being in breach of the rules and destined for a vdx scolding or not bothering to discuss the matter, the second invariably being the option I choose. I can't really fathom why the post from a 2016 player isn't still pertinent today, especially when the forum rules seem to encourage participants to access past player questions.

VDX_360

Staff member
Oh Hi!

First, we try to have a welcoming, supportive and useful forum. So if you're not getting that vibe, than there's a hiccup on our end.

As for the necro issue, the game has changed a lot over the years, so it's not uncommon for old threads to involve previous versions of the game. Part of goal of limiting old threads is to help cut back on confusing references to outdated aspects of the game. Another part of the necro limits is just simply organization. Constantly having old topics float to the pile can be problematic for forum use.

Necro posts are an issue with any forum, but what counts as a necro post is a bit subjective. In general, I try to error on the side of being supportive.

As for the exact Forum Rule, the complete rule also states:

"Try not to refloat/necro old & obsolete topics. In most cases it is better to start a new thread, the exception would be if the topic is not obsolete at all." (Emphasis in original)

On that note, I encourage you to post on topics you want to discuss. If you feel an old thread is crucial to your discussion, you can reference the old thread as part of your topic introduction.

Kind Regards,

VDX

PS: I've noticed I've personally answered many of your own questions, including your first ever post in the forum (About poison sacks way back in 2020).

VDX_360

Staff member
By way of further comment, all my postings can be found here. You can see how rarely closing necro posts is given the total amount of forum activity.

When I come across a new comment on an old thread, I assess if it's an on-topic addition, so not really a necro post (like this thread), Or if it's just straight up necro post. In those cases, I still try to encourage the poster to use the forum ( like this thread).

Do I always get it right? Probably not. There's always room for fine tuning a system.

Also, if you're shy about having an old post closed. Don't be. Feel encouraged to start a new thread. Call it "Equinox's modern take on ancient forum history" and just lean into the idea that there's worthwhile content in old posts. You'll find most of the old timers in this forum have a sense of humor.

Put your Loreseeking hat on and get to work.