Recommend warrior build for starters?

Bloxycolaman

Hi everyone, I’m new both on the forum and on the game (despite playing it a lot a year ago). So I thought it’d be good to introduce myself as well as ask what character build you recommend a newbie like me.

Shinbone

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself, but almost finished a play through as a Warrior. I'm intentionally taking a long time, finishing everything, and basically dragging it out because whatever I do next won't be as fun.

I've only played as a warrior (1H + shield), so I can't speak to best classes or builds, but I'll pass on a key thing I missed early on (most of the game is self explanatory or nicely guided with occasional tutorial style feedback):

Throughout the game you run into many randomly generated adventurers that will join you for a fee, and last until they croak. But (and this is what I missed for a while) there are three story line relevant NPCs that will also offer to join you, and they can become permanent "Companions" (official game term) that will level up, be equipped by you, not die (they're temporarily incapacitated when they hit zero HPs), and be available to re-join you later if you dismiss them at any time. So keep an eye out for anyone that actually interacts with you and / or has quests to offer, and then is willing to join you.

Have fun!

Bloxycolaman

Thanks for wishing me fun. To be honest, I know a lot about the game and I played it many times. However, I always got to a point where I just stopped playing and then i started again after some time. due to that, I know quite a lot. but I think I never got through a certain point due to my build. This time I hope I’ll do better.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Hi there. There is a sticky thread called "post when you gain a level" where you can get lots of ideas.

Other than that, people will give you better advice if you show some kind of preference for a class, because all classes have great builds and none is entirely superior to every other in all aspects and stages. So maybe state what is more fun for you, what levels you found too hard, etc. Also giving the thread a proper title will certainly bring more replies, if you can edit it to something like "Recommend me a Warrior Build", or "what is the easiest cleric build to play", I am sure you'd get more specific answers.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I'll say the WARRIOR is a perfect start class. Also NORMAL is still quite difficult so go for that. Hard is really rather hard until you know what you're doing.

You get to respec your character a bit down the line so don't worry about messing the build up, just have fun.

The strongest warrior might be a HAND weapon and SHIELD, however a TWO-HANDED weapon is viable and hellish good fun. Your call, as I say you get to respec later in the game if you wish so you're not locked-in to early decisions.

Speaking of which, a point or two in Awareness, Intelligence or Personality even early on can give some useful dialogue options and quest changes so don't only go for a warrior's usual physical stats.

Bloxycolaman

Speaking of which, a point or two in Awareness, Intelligence or Personality even early on can give some useful dialogue options and quest changes so don't only go for a warrior's usual physical stats.
[/QUOTE]
I always used to focus on these traits before and that’s why I might have failed to progress. Hence, this time I mainly focus on the physical traits more than on the others.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
a few points given to mental stats will not hamper you, and can help a lot.

Typically, what makes a build weak is things like:

-wielding a light weapon and then raising STR instead of AGI.
-wielding a 2H weapon and not taking the 2H expert skill, or raising AGI too much instead of STR
-taking too many skills instead of specializing. A rogue that takes both Archery and Stab is a classic mistake.
-fighting many enemies at the same time and without taking advantage of choke points. You are supposed to split enemies.
-never using potions or scrolls. A few death ward potions can change an area from unplayable to easy.

PS: you are still in time to edit the thread title.