Random Encounter - Very Confused

Jasono18

Hiya, I'm new to the game and during my play through I was at the area you start out at after you know who robs you.

I was killing goblins and wolves in that area when during that time I was following the stone path (I went past the village or town?) and I noticed a wolf going for a male NPC who may have had a red shirt (I'm not entirely sure).

Anyways, he was being attacked by the wolf so I came over and tried to help him. They were both on very low health and to my surprise when I hit the wolf I may have hit the man and killed them both?

I hope whoever I killed or the wolf killed wasn't an important NPC or an NPC Quest Giver. If anyone knows who that was or what happened (or if it's some random encounter) then please let know! :)

P.S I'm pretty sure this occurred during the night as well.

Slayyerlol

Hello. Im pretty new to the game too, but i am sure that was not of much importance. No quest giver or important npc in that area wears a red shirt.

Jasono18

Hello. Im pretty new to the game too, but i am sure that was not of much importance. No quest giver or important npc in that area wears a red shirt.
I came across another one, this time called a shady traveller and he wore a black shirt this time though I haven't initiated a chat with him yet. But thank you!
That's just a mercenary encounter, nothing of importance and you can't even hit a green-name npc, so you're good
Ah I see, so a shady traveller is a mercenary or was that a completely separate encounter? Thank you by the way!

Deleted member 28869

A shady traveller is a merchant-type encounter, like travelling armorers. And if you encounter one that gives a quest, you'll definitely know.

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
As stated above, that sounds like you stumbled across a random encounter of the mercenary-for-hire. They'll attack monsters near them, and sometimes die, even before you talk to them. The combat log can tell you how it went. The mercenaries have randomly generated names rather an a generic title.

Slayyerlol

You should approach a shady traveller with caution. He similar to a travelling merchant, but if you interact with him it could go in 2 ways:
1) He is just a guy looking to sell his wares. You can buy and sell as you do with a regular travelling merchant.
2) He reveals that he is a member of the Forsaken and deals some damage to you before you can start fighting him.

( This information may or may not be wrong. I am writing this based on what i recall. There is a Wiki page that you can check if you want to know more or clarify doubts. Here's the link:
)

Deleted member 28869

If you're dealing with a shady traveller, talk to him and look for the keyword "magical", if his dialogue has that, then don't trade, if it isn't there, then you can trade with him.