Quick questions

Vastilos

Hello everyone. Before I get to my questions, I just wanted to say this game is awesome.

Now, my questions:
1) How do I get the magma greatstaff? I've killed the mobs the wiki says drop it numerious times and nothing.
2) What is better for a 2h warrior to use, axes or greatswords?

Thank you.

Magma Greatstaff is a CHANCE/% drop, it means you get it if you're lucky.

And for 2H warriors I personally prefer Greataxes. I think greatswords are more on DPS(dmg per sec) and greataxe are for DPH (dmg per hit) I don't know. I thinks its on you actually, they quite the same.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Both Greataxes and Greatswords will serve you pretty much equally well, if you have a "role-playing" preference go with that first and foremost; barbarian vs knight. Greataxes have a wider range of damage, Greatswords are more consistent. The Greataxes have a TINY bit more critical potential, so if you're wasting Skill points in Criticals then consider that. But the summary is: both will serve you so well those differences are invisible during play.

In terms of "power weapons", most people in typical play can get the Executioner's Axe before anything better, and there is an expensive Greataxe you can buy relatively early (if you grind the GP). Only Greatswords have an Adamantite version and a Spirit version. You can look through the list of high-powered 2H weapons and decide for yourself.

That list also points out not to forget about hammers, Gurguth's Maul is a great Stun weapon, Garrak's Maul is the only 2H weapon with Silver, and Pneumatic Mallet is the single strongest 2H weapon in the game.

Atomos

Ad 2:
There's not much difference between greatswords and greataxes. I suggest using a weapon with element and attributes, that the most powerful enemy you plan to fight is weak to. If your enemy has no weaknesses, choose Adamantite greatsword. If you don't have a suitable weapon, you better go look for it ;)

VDX_360

Staff member
On the note of elemental damage:

Cleave: All enemies hit by cleave get the full elemental damage.
Skills: Only the physical damage of a weapon is increased by Fury, Whirlwind, or Charge.
Flanking and Critical: Only the physical damage is increased by flanking and critical

Depending on the exact situation, builds, and play style, the above might greatly impact your overall combat abilities.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
If your enemy has no weaknesses, choose Adamantite greatsword.

An enemy doesn't need a weakness to an element for that weapon to be useful, only no significant resistances to it. Obviously if they have a weakness that's preferable but it's not essential - unless you're really struggling with that opponent.

Adamantite's thing is that it is purely physical; in the earlier game so too Gurguth's Maul, Bone Maul, Executioner's Axe and a couple more once you hit the Ashen Wastes. They particularly excel in overcoming high armour (especially armour and shield) and VDX mentions above how skills can make them especially valuable.

In addition to Physical, I have a fondness Spirit weapons as nothing has huge elemental resistance to it and you can set-and-forget; it'll be reliable in the frozen wastes, lava pits, undead crypts, etc.; but if you have a big/dangerous raid ahead then it'll be most optimal if you take a lava weapon into the frozen wastes, a chill weapon to the lava pits, a Holy weapon to the crypts, etc.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Permafrost Greataxe with 2-hand expert and Cleave is hilarious.

Each hit has 6% Paralysis and 10% Stun on every opponent in range! I've played it and it's a really fun combo.

Vastilos

I was just wondering about the magma greatstaff because it's better than the one you buy in New Garand, and it's been a pain in the rear to get. I also feel that mage class in general is too easy lol. I currently play 3 mages, one staff, one wand and the other I just solo everything with.
Warrior class is also too easy imo.
I've just started playing with rogue, and ranged rogue seems super easy as well, I might have to give a stabbing rogue a try.

And I also play all characters on hard.

One more question though. At what level do Liches stop spawning? The wiki says they can drop the magma greatstaff, but I've never encountered any during gameplay or townhall quests.

Atomos

Liches don't stop spawning, they're just very rare. If you want to, there's two of them every time you go to the sewer of horrors. After that you can farm dragons on the second level, these also drop it.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
The Magma Greatstaff will come to you, have faith in Rando the Random God of Randomness!

Just keep murdering innocent red & white lizards and old skeletal grandpas and Rando shall reward you!

Just don't forget to do your random prayer to Rando. It has been scientifically proven that everytime you pray for a specific drop right after that specific item is dropped, your chances of finding the item are 100%!