Putting points in Strength as a staff mage ?

mentalmen000

I just started a new character and he is a mage. As staves are two-handed AND ranged weapons, I wonder if there's any worth to invest some points in strength (to increase damage and survivability) and endurance (to get body development afterwards) to compensate for not being able to use shields.
Post automatically merged:    

On a side note, as the skill "staff mastery" implies that any 2 handed mage weapon is a staff, maybe it's possible INT points to increase 2 handed melee weapons' damage after learning the arcane knight skill ?

Last edited:

Molokot

seckondary skill unlocks requires certain amounbt of skills, so you need 3 strenght for masive criticals and 4 endurance for extra hp. And no INT doasnt increase arcane knigght melee damage+ arcane mage cant use 2h weapons at all.

mentalmen000

arcane mage cant use 2h weapons at all.
If i’m not mistaken the skill Vampiric Blade does give mages the ability to use 2H melee weapons, albeit they must have bonus death damage, and I don’t have the intentions to raise str to take massive critical, I just wanted to raise it for the bonus hp, because disintergrate works just fine on melee weapons, making it a glorified version of stab.But i’m grateful for the info on INT anyways

Arcanmaster

@mentalmen000 Strength doesn't increase Staff damage (checked). As @Molokot said you need 3 str for Masive Criticals, it is onliest point for investing some points in str for ranged mage.
Int bonus is active only when you are using staff and I doubt it will be increase melee damage (not checked).

mentalmen000

@mentalmen000 Strength doesn't increase Staff damage (checked). As @Molokot said you need 3 str for Masive Criticals, it is onliest point for investing some points in str for ranged mage.
Int bonus is active only when you are using staff and I doubt it will be increase melee damage (not checked).
I see, then it would prove difficult to switch between a staff mage and a claymore mage on the spot for more versatility. Now i’m seriously wondering why the dev created such a skill in the first place lol. Anyway, I would be extremely grateful if anyone shared an arcane knight build (whether 1h or 2h is fine), because i’m very tired with the slow leveling progression of my warrior char now.

Commiades

I'd be looking to use light weapons with an Arcane Mage - more attacks makes elemental damage more effective.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
With skill Body Development, STR is super useful for boosting your HP, along with END obviously. High HP combined with the electrified Mage Barrier is an extremely powerful combo, it's the highest damage output mages can muster in the game.

Arcanmaster

High HP combined with the electrified Mage Barrier is an extremely powerful combo, it's the highest damage output mages can muster in the game.
Shadows and another shock resistant enemies start to cackle evily.
Anyway, if you have Hirge and enemy has Stability it is realy good, Hill Giants confirm.

Molokot

As i said before YOU CANT use 2h weapons with mage, desciption on skill is misguiding, hand weapons means 1h weapon.

Arcanmaster

@Molokot I think @mentalmen000 wrote mages with VAMPIRIC BLADE can use 2 hand melee weapons and this is true.

I reseted skill points.
P. S. @mentalmen000 as you see, mage has 4 strength, damage bonus from strength is 1,5 * 4 = 6 and 13 - 7 = 6, so no int bonuses.
When I maked screenshot, mage hasn't Staff Mastery, but I maxed it later and no changes.
I know Arcane Blade doesn't provide such opportunity.

Last edited: