Precision Strikes/Shots and Massive Criticals Question

Invector

I'd like to pose a question to all of you regarding a couple of skills….Precision Strikes/Shots and Massive Criticals.

Starting at zero for both, let’s say you were given 1 skill point to spend on one or the other (and assuming you would get no more), which would you choose and why?

Now let’s say you are promised 11 more points over time. They can only be spent on PS or MS. How do you allocate them as you receive them? Do you max out one or the other first; or divide them evenly as you go?

I’m just curious what you all think.

VDX_360

Staff member
So this is basically the standard side-by-comparison of two Advanced Skills.
Precision Strikes increases a weapon's critical hit chance by 50% of it's base per level, at a cost of 1,2,3 skill points.
Massive Criticals increases a weapon's critical damage by 50% of the max damage per leve, at a cost of 1,2,3 skill points.

Side-stepping trait requirements, in general Level 1 of Precision Strikes will deal more consistent damage in a dungeon run, but most of it will go unnoticed by a player. In contrast, Level 1 Massive Criticals will tend to have a more notable impact on game play with lucky rolls. The instant-kill chance of Massive Criticals can one-hit a tough monster. You'll notice that in a dungeon dive. Mathematically, it tends to even out over time between Level 1 Massive Criticals and Level 1 Precision Strikes.

So the choice becomes do you prefer a more reliable damage output, or the peaks and valleys of chance?

There's a diminishing return of investment for the skills, as each Level costs more skill points for the same increase. Thus, Level 2 of both tends to be a reasonable balance approach. That gives: +100% chance of critical hit, with +100% base weapon damage, 25% chance to kill.

Which to make Level 3 is a tough call.

2-H weapon users already have a high critical hit damage so they tend to kill things in one hit anyways. So the instant-death chance is less appealing. However, end game 2-H weapons have really low critical hit rates (4/5%) so using 3 skill points for 2% chance of a critical hit is costly. That in turn makes Massive Critical more appealing. So Massive Critical 3 might win out for 2-H Weapon Users.

Light weapon users will get a similar choice, but with a higher base rate for critical hits. Light weapons tend to have 6/7% base for critical hit. So Level 3 gives 16/17.5% chance (rounding occurs). One in every seven hits means a notable hit rate for critical hits. Now, full sneak rogues already using sneak attack and stab might really like that extra critical hit rate.

But again, it comes down to choosing between a somewhat more reliable damage output, or the peaks and valleys of chance.

Note, this discussion is based on a side-by-side comparison of two skills. The option to use another skill (Heavy Hand etc) is not part of this narrow discussion.

VDX_360

Staff member
The above but looking at Precision Shots
Precision Shots increases a RANGED weapon's critical hit chance by 50% of it's base per level, at a cost of 1,2,3 skill points.
Massive Criticals increases a weapon's critical damage by 50% of the max damage per leve, at a cost of 1,2,3 skill points.

There's an oddity with mages. For wands/staves that do both physical and elemental damage, the critical hit increase is only the physical part. However, when using a pure elemental weapon (Magma Great Staff, First Winter, etc), the critical hit is applied to the entire damage. The same applies to the damage boost from Staff Mastery.

Using a pure elemental staff/wand against an enemy weak against that element can result in rather intense damage output. And even if using it against an opponent that is neither weak or resistant, the full damage is dealt (e.g. using ice on Lord of the Pit).

If you're playing a summoner mage, you have your Iron Golem leading the charge, so your mage can safely attack from a far. That might allow a player to priorities Massive Critical over Prevision Shots. Who cares if it takes a few more strikes to get a critical hit? The big guy can take the damage. Those massive critical will pay off. See below:

Staff of Dead Kings: 9 to 18 death damage
Staff Mastery IV (w/INT 5): +10 damage (and it's death damage!)
Massive Critical 3: +300%
Korn Resistance: -60 so +55% damage
Damage Dealt: 88.3 to 130.2

Okay, it will take a few massive critical hits to kill the King of Korn, he's a tough bastard but it does show how the elemental damage only aspect gets multiple several times with Massive Criticals.

Of course, it comes down to the choice between having more critical hits, or more powerful critical hits.

NOTE: Can someone double check me on the current game mechanics, I think I got them right, but I could be confusing out-of-date mechanics.

SerHamiltonShitfoot

I ended up just having buckets of cash and I save up trait points so I had enough to splurge on them both, but they make such a difference that I would say whatever you do will work. I have noticed I fell many more enemies with massive criticals now though

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a personal preference question that involves math.

One increases the number of Critical Hits.
One increases the damage of Critical Hits.

The skills compliment each other well so a lot of players going the Critical Hit route will get both.

Other players might go for just one, or none.

It's a player choice question.