Post-Arena, Endgame Challenge Bosses

DarthTomServo

Disclaimer - this may have been suggested a 100 times already. I did search this forum for "arena" and didn't see this discussed.

Taking this update into consideration:

May 2021 Update: with the release of version 1.3, I'll focus again on Archaelund for a while. Maybe there will be an update next year, maybe the year after that; your feedback is welcome in the meantime but take this schedule into account.

Some things won't change: Please understand that the game is complete and this is "bonus" content added, so no deep changes to mechanics will be made, nor anything that can alter seriously the balance in the game will be considered, even if it is an "improvement", because an improved game can easily become much less fun. This in particular affect things like the AI or collisions, etc. The game is the way it is, new updates mean more adventures, people to talk to, monsters to kill, loot to hoard, etc.

So here it is: Any chance we could get challenge bosses in the Arena after becoming champion?

The ideas I'm going to list below focus on making this as low-effort as possible. I very much appreciate the fact that the game is done and the ecosystem of balance is not something you want to tamper with at this point. So I'm trying to think of how to do something like this with no new art, no new maps to create, no new level designs etc.

New arena challengers:
  • Rumor bosses on steroids. Scaled up to lvl 23-25 or something. One per week? Either repeatable & randomized ... >>
  • ... >> or predetermined list of 5 - 10 mega bosses. Maybe a few top-tier contenders from each of the guilds want a piece of you?

Trigger once following conditions met:
  • Arena questline is complete.
  • Black shards questline complete.

Rewards:
  • Rumor boss loot table
  • + Select, existing Unique / Limited equipment, provided it doesn't conflict with lore. (i.e. no Crown of Galade, no Broken Crown of Tol, etc). This would give players who regret selling limited gear a 2nd chance to re-obtain it without starting over. Just an added bonus thought.
Personally, I don't care about money or experience rewards at this point in the game. There's already many ways to get exp and gold endgame.

Reasoning for why I suspect this is a realistic request:
  • I'm speculating it would be easier to implement than an in-depth complex questline, no new map needed. Again, maybe no new art assets needed for this type of feature?
  • It would give end-game characters a repeatable challenge. Especially if the gear restriction remains!
Again, apologies if this beating a dead horse. I didn't see any posts where this particular idea was talked about & shut down.

Last edited:

Molokot

Adding couple of more oponents to arena is a good idea, just it shouldnt be connected with any quests completed, nor it should be something like rumor boses, because you are supposed to hunt them. It will be best if developer would think himself what to add there, then it will follow game lore and humour, and thats kinda important.

DarthTomServo

Adding couple of more oponents to arena is a good idea, just it shouldnt be connected with any quests completed,
Arena is already tied to a prerequisite quest. Adding the 2nd one - yeah that would be up for debate. My thought is to avoid making the actual rumor boss system obsolete or something, as it ties to the black shard quest. I'm thinking it would be confusing if this arena expansion was accessible while that quest is open.

I could see the argument going both ways and I'm not one to die on a hill, though.

nor it should be something like rumor boses, because you are supposed to hunt them.
Not referring to the actual rumor bosses. To clarify, I'm referring to the already-built framework as a way to leverage work already done. Actual rumor bosses & that hunting aspect are otherwise completely unrelated to this suggestion. Thanks for the opportunity to elaborate.

It will be best if developer would think himself what to add there, then it will follow game lore and humour, and thats kinda important.
Out of respect for people who develop professionally, I refuse to give half-baked suggestions if I'm going to make one at all.

Game developers are bombarded with requests that are poorly organized, half-finished, vague or straight up rude or unrealistic. I will always try to keep my suggestions organized, thoughtful and accompanied with examples. Avoid walls of text, get to the point, and stay organized.

If you have a suggestion you think is worth hearing, you have to put thought into the delivery if you expect to be taken seriously.

And please don't read this with a negative tone. I suck at being both pleasant & speaking directly sometimes. :)

Last edited:
The idea sounds very good, but I believe it will hardly be added to the game for three reasons:

1- Some bosses have items that are very coveted by us players, such as the ring of unlife (the best ring in the game after the star traveler's ring), myrosian Leggings and Breastplate for warriors, the soul drinker, the first winter staff and many others.

2- We have the context of the arena. Usually we face criminals, traitorous legionnaires and some of the most common monsters on the continent of varannar. I don't think the realm of Mercia can capture a Dragon, Manticore or Lich wandering the map and throwing it into the arena.

3- And finally, our character's reputation. If this feature were added, not only would the rumors become obsolete but also the city's missions. Our character can simply reach the Hero-Legendary title without much effort.

DarthTomServo

1- Some bosses have items that are very coveted by us players, such as the ring of unlife (the best ring in the game after the star traveler's ring), myrosian Leggings and Breastplate for warriors, the soul drinker, the first winter staff and many others.
I'm not sure how this relates. If you're saying they should be excluded, that's fine. I'm not debating any particular items. Offered ideas with some existing loot tables, but that's it. This is just suggested as a low-hanging fruit implementation to add some challenge bosses to the game.

2- We have the context of the arena. Usually we face criminals, traitorous legionnaires and some of the most common monsters on the continent of varannar. I don't think the realm of Mercia can capture a Dragon, Manticore or Lich wandering the map and throwing it into the arena.
Ok, exclude dragons, manticores and liches. I agree those might be odd. The arena already introduced bears, minotaur lords, hill giants, trolls, etc. The point of the examples was that no new assets would be required.

3- And finally, our character's reputation. If this feature were added, not only would the rumors become obsolete but also the city's missions. Our character can simply reach the Hero-Legendary title without much effort.
See the second bullet point on suggested enemies (I'll quote it):
  • ... >> or predetermined list of 5 - 10 mega bosses. Maybe a few top-tier contenders from each of the guilds want a piece of you?
This doesn't have to touch anything with recurring rumor bosses. This second-part suggestion is just adding a fixed, limited number. Once you've beaten all five or 10 or whatever, it's done. No more. Rumor bosses quests are not competing with arena. Very easy to avoid.

To be extra extra clear - I'm not suggesting any particular enemy, item or anything. Trying not to get stuck on corner case examples.

@Streets ahead

I do not think. Bishop's ring has a medium defense against death, and its +2 personality stat isn't very useful with warriors and rouges (unless you want to use it on a personality check).
The item can be useful in the hands of a mage, but it shouldn't be better than the 42 mana provided by the ring along with shock defense against endgame enemies such as minotaurs and robots.
The ring of unlife has more base defense against giving of darkness plus +10 spiritual defense. The +1 intelligence along with the +1 endurance helps melee attack characters a lot, and we all know that death damage goes through armor, and most specters deal pure death damage.
Bishop's ring is pretty good, but it's a very situational item... and the other two rings fit perfectly with all four classes.
Unless you're playing as a cleric or wanting to maximize Hirge's mana, this ring isn't worth more than that skill point plus all that gigantic EXP bonuses, which will come in very handy raising that skill we want to maximize.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Liches and Dragons would be unreasonable to have from a narrative perspective, but if they can get Giants and Trolls they can get Manticores, IMO.