Poor Varannari :(

RustyLoon Marko

Loreseeker
Poor Varannari
Before the Exile, we know that they were slaves to Tolossians. They were treated very badly by Tolossians, who even used them as food.
After the downfall of Tolossians, the race of man came to Varannar. A nation of men, known as Mercians, use them as slaves. The Varsillians treat them like trash. Only Ilmarans treat some of them like friends. For whole their existence, the Varannari were treated like disgusting savages and barbarians.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
It's basic Darwin, survival of the fittest. They couldn't compete with the Tolassians. They couldn't compete with the Mercians. They couldn't complete with the Varsillians.

If you can't compete expect defeat.

RustyLoon Marko

Loreseeker
Before my grandfather's grandfather was born, this was our land. These are our good places. Our gods live here, in the trees and the rivers. They watch over us. We are happy, we hunt, we love. We have families, homes and good life. But sometimes we must fight. The Mercians disturb the gods. They burn the forests, they take what is ours, wives, children, land! And the Mercians talk about how they will help us and protect us. They put us to sleep with gold and promises. When we wake all we had is gone, stolen! They take our sons and turn them into slaves for little Mercians, hah! So we fight to keep what is ours, what must stay ours! There can be no peace! No peace with Mercians, men of stone and iron and lies! There can be only war!

Last edited:

Gewehr 43

I think the Varannari is intended to be a reference to native Americans. And I believe David draws inspiration with all the issue of exiling to Varannar from America's colonization.
But what about Tolassians? Do they have prototype in real history? Aztecs maybe?

RustyLoon Marko

Loreseeker
I think that Tolossians are their own culture, not based on anything, like Dunmer/Dark Elves from The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The Dunner are, depending on your perspective, Bethesda's lawsuit-dodging plagiarism of or heartfelt tribute to, Gygax's Drow.

Gewehr 43

British. The Tolassians are most certainly British. You can just hear those zombies and liches (lichs?) muttering about tea and colonists as they putter about the ruins of their once great empire.
Definitely 😆