Poison sacks

Equinox

Exactly how many spiders do you have to kill to get 3poison sacks? I've killed about 50 with only one poison sack to show for it. Additionally when attempting Spicing things up, Nothing I do stops me being swamped by skeletons, in desperation I did a run in kill a skeleton run out and recover strategy, (I'm playing on casual as i find the game extremely hard) After wearing them down a bit i can get to the wraith which no matter what i do, kills me. Seriously I've been stuck for hours on these missions. Only level 5 and have almost decided that this game is to difficult for me. It's a pity as i would enjoy it if i didnt die every 5 minutes
Post automatically merged:    

Oh in desperation i watched the video walkthrough. They featured loads less skeletons and every spider killed delivered a poison sack.

VDX_360

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum!!! We're here to help you survive David the Developer's second-best efforts to kill you. (His best effort was just to have you spawn into a cage match with the Undermother, the Carrion Lord and the final boss.)

The top three reasons for not getting something to drop: Being unlucky, loading from a save to re-fight enemies (rather than fighting new ones or letting them re-spawn naturally), and the last reasons, fighting the wrong enemy.

Spider Sacks are a pretty common drop. But sometimes people can get unlucky. I've had a play through were it seemed way too long to get them to drop, but on the next play through, get them the first try. Random Drops can be pretty random. Best advice, is either do a lot of spider hunting, or let the quest be a back burner project for you as you will stumble across spiders for a bit. The reward for the quest is far from exciting so there's no real need to get it asap.

It seems the Sand Spiders, (bigger ones, slightly higher) drop them a little more often than the Inori Spiders (smaller ones). If that helps.

As for the Abandoned Smuggler Hideout, how are you taken on the horde? If you're charging right into the center of the room letting them gang up on you, you might be biting off more than you can chew at Level 5.

You can try to take on only one or two of the skeletons at a time. By letting them come to you, or heading for a corner of the room.

Death protection is key for fighting the Angry Ghost a low level. It hits with pretty decent death damage so equipping death protection and using a death protection potion will help tremendously.

VDX_360

Staff member
Also, because you mention you're new to the game and only level five, it might be worth checking in on your class, build, and equipment set up. It's possible you don't have an Companion yet. Griss might be good for you for a bit as she's pretty tough. See here.

Level 5 is still pretty low level, especially if you are new to the game. You might benefit from running the first few dungeons a few more times to pick up some XP, some better equipment (if it drops for you) and to become a little more familiar with combat in the game.

Equinox

Thank you for the advice, yes i have only just started. I think you're right , for some reason i didn't consider grinding completed dungeons. Time to grind then. I tried the werewolf looking for the orb and was totally embarrassed sp went on to the ghouls to retrieve the lost sword, oh dear.
I came back in frustration having had the following 3 spiders drop 2 sacks. Lol

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
As already said, but to put my 0.02 into the pot, believe you me the Abandoned Smuggler Hideout, is a bloody hard raid at low level.

First, you should have your companion Grissenda. Second you should have the capability to do some serious damage, e.g. Rogue Stab. Third you will need every potion you can get: Healing and Death Protection especially. The main skeletons you can fight near the stairs and leave the dungeon if you don't have time to use healing potions. Ones you've killed will still be dead but those you have only damaged will be healed. Anyway you can whittle them down to zero. Then SAVE.

The Angry Ghost (aka Vengeful Wraith) is a LEVEL TEN creature. This game is not like some games where a level 5 player can mow down level 10 creatures even on casual. The ghost deals Death damage and is vulnerable to cold and fire, but especially to lightening, so the Sword of Shock (aka My First Lightsabre) from the Head Hunting quest is useful. Even so, expect to die over and over and over again in this fight. If you win at low level it'll be a joyous thing but a hard thing.

So is it worth it?

Well, for my money the only reason to do this quest at a low level is to get the medallion and SPOILER ALERT give the medallion to Jethro. Why do this? Because this unlocks the Golden Hand's Grey Library in Freetown. This gives you early-game access to Explorer Gauntlets, Ring of the Trader, a 15% discount on some great items, and a 15% bonus on selling items. (So if you're selling junk to buy scrolls & potions you're basically getting 30% more money for free). Make sure you read about each trader on the Wiki so you buy/sell to the right one.

VDX_360

Staff member
Because the game is so open world, it's easy to take on quests you're not ready to take on. You have to learn how to figure out if an area just seems too tough. Class, Difficulty Level and etc really impacts ease of the game so it can be a bit tricky to have a linear quest recommendation. The Challenge Map tries to help, but it can be confusing to new players not familiar with the world.

Run Ydaya Tomb, Kleyou Tomb once or twice. You should pick up a a Companion (Griss from Kleyou Tomb), a few extra equipment drops (and don't forget to equip Griss). You'll also pick up enough skulls to knock out the quest Shaking Bones, which gives a pretty shield for the early game. There are quests on the Rhoneis Map you might find a little easier.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The quest A Safe Bet in particular is excellent. You'll have your first crack at the bullheads and the reward is a superb peace of early armor.

Also in the South East corner of the Trollfens is a corpse of a long-gone ranger, his Forest Chain Coif and Hunting Bow are still there and handy early game items. You will have to slay Swamp Scavengers (which are not to be underestimated at low levels) but you can use the "whittle away" method of jumping over to the Sydarun Oasis border. Note the trolls themselves are further in so you won't be taking any of them on.

Equinox

Wow, thanks for all that Stonedwolf, I managed The smugglers hideout on my next try and have ground myself up to level7 now. I think that I've messed up with Grissenda though, i waded into the tower/ dungeon without talking to her first. I have the cloak which brother Gabriel gives which helps a lot with the dead. I was wondering which enchantment was best against them. I'm doing a reload from the save before i went. Btw where do i get poison to kill the giant ant egg colony?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Is Griss still there? Have you tried talking to her?

You do not NEED poison to destroy the colony. It just makes it easier. Otherwise you have 3 rounds of bugs to fight but if you can whack the Wraith you should handle the bugs.

Equinox

I went back a save and did the quest after talking to her, she's an amazing companion. I do have another problem now and am wondering whether this is the time for a restart. I think that i may havr made a boob on the forgottenlore mission. When i search deadwood for Zaniel's journal, it's not there. I did do the mission previously and am not sure what i did with the journal. I accidentally cleared Nayau tomb while grinding, got loads of gear but no necromancer. That tomb sold the game to me!!!
So I'm thinking, restart.
Some advice please, I'm quite an experienced gamer, believe it or not 😆 So I'm thinking that in the long term a start other than casual/normal may be better. I guess a wizzard start may be difficult in the extreme for a noob. I enjoy rouge on casual and started as a warrior on normal. Thanks again 😊
Post automatically merged:    

I looked at the difficulty levels again and trembled. Tried a mage casual start . Like the wimp that i am. 🙄 Just having a quick look, a bit hard to stay alive, lots of running away and wearing monsters down singly. I bet a hardened battlemage is the most powerful/ influential class? I do like this game.

Last edited: