Poison River reward (light spoiler)

DaleTilgo2022

I just completed the poisoned river quest and was looking for some insight on the two reward items. What I liked about the maul was that it was the only 2H silver weapon and the only 2H lightning based weapon that I'd seen in the game. I like the idea of being able to hit werewolves hard.

Ultimately though the boots won out. I'd been using a lesser pair of stabilizing boots so that I could post in a crowd and knock em down. With the higher armor rating, fire resistance and fairly high shock/paralysis resistance I couldn't pass them up.

For reference my character is a strength based warrior that started out with sword and shield. Lately I've been incorporating 2H weapons.

VDX_360

Staff member
Note: Moved post to it's own thread (originally added to a 2018 post about werewolves).

Maul of Garrak vs. Ironfoot Boots can be a tough choice.

Short Version: If you're using a 2-H warrior, or any type of Cleric, grab the Maul. Everyone else gets more use out of the boots. BUT, as long as you can use either, you're not really making choice grabbing either.

The Maul is one of the two 2-H silver weapons in the game, and the only one Clerics can use.

The boots are top tier for Mages and Rogues and quite useful for anyone else. Clerics and Warriors get access to the Ashen Boots later.

VDX_360

Staff member
More pressing is that Warriors are served better by picking 1-H or 2-H as their skill sets require committing. It's own thing to swap out a weapon for an unqiue need such as fire for trolls, or silver for wolves, but you're go-to weapon really should match your build.

2-H Mastery is a great skill for 2-H warriors. The extra damage and stun chance are crucial to the nature of 2-H builds.

Shield Mastery, Infantry Training are really useful for 1-H Warriors.

In the early game, 1-H Warriors are nice as the extra defense from a shield really matters. However, as you progress through the game, most players start to drift to using 2-H weapons as the extra damage helps take on end game monsters that have high defense.

Warriors of all types have beating the game so play the build style that you enjoy the most.

Gr8Scott

Boots? There was boot option?

For a cleric, the maul is awesome! Plus clerics don't have any 1-hand or 2-hand specific skills to commit to, lIke the warrior does. My 0 AGI paladin (warriors guild) was happy to squash stuff faster, including werewolves, and still be able to switch back to additional defense w/elemental resistance & 1-hand as needed.

Besides, who needs combat boots when you have monk flip-flops?

DaleTilgo2022

More pressing is that Warriors are served better by picking 1-H or 2-H as their skill sets require committing. It's own thing to swap out a weapon for an unqiue need such as fire for trolls, or silver for wolves, but you're go-to weapon really should match your build.

2-H Mastery is a great skill for 2-H warriors. The extra damage and stun chance are crucial to the nature of 2-H builds.

Shield Mastery, Infantry Training are really useful for 1-H Warriors.

In the early game, 1-H Warriors are nice as the extra defense from a shield really matters. However, as you progress through the game, most players start to drift to using 2-H weapons as the extra damage helps take on end game monsters that have high defense.

Warriors of all types have beating the game so play the build style that you enjoy the most.

I already had Shield Expert since my character started out with a shield. I didn't like Infantry Training because it only worked with standard 1H weapons. Not being compatible with light 1H weapons was a deal breaker.

Once I got the Spirit Cleaver it became my primary weapon. Now I only switch to 1H weapons in order to exploit elemental weaknesses or to boost a given elemental defense when needed.

With this being my first play through I'm learning as I go. My current advanced skills are: Additional Fire, Ice, Lightning, Death, Shock/Paralysis and Poison Resistances, Shield Expert, 2H Expert and Body development. I currently only have one remaining advanced skill slot. At some point I'll reset advanced skills and likely eliminate the fire, ice and lightning resistances.

I find Heavy Handed and Duel appealing but I've thus far refused to join the Warriors Guild.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Precision Strikes and Massive Criticals?

Gr8Scott

I find Heavy Handed and Duel appealing but I've thus far refused to join the Warriors Guild.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Precision Strikes and Massive Criticals?
I would defiantly join the guild and pick up HH & Duel first.

If you are going 2-H, you can find better options for 6 skill points than raising crit from 4% to 10%. The 50% insta-kill from Massive Criticals(-2 lvls) is nice- saves HP, but dependent on Precision Strikes percentage. This pairing is great for light weapons.

I don't see any other guild skills helping a fighter out. Flurry maybe, but your going STR not AGI. What's the hesitancy to join. Heavy Hand is passive +5 evey hit! Duel III is awesome against bosses if you don't use many active skills. I keep my Paladin @ lvl II due to Heal & Arbenos might interruptions.

DaleTilgo2022

I've since joined the Warrior's Guild. I have HH, Duel and 2H Expert at level 3. Those three make a huge difference in a STR based warrior. I was amazed at being able to brute force a couple of dragons.

My hesitancy to join the guild stemmed from a misinterpretation of the binding oath. The following post has a more detailed discussion: Ethical limitations of the Warrior's Guild