Paladin Longsword upgrade?

ThatGuyYouLike

Hello there.

So, 1.3 has arrived and along with it 2 new weapons, Ancestral Blade of the Deer and Winter's Lament, both which are upgrades to a pre-existing weapon, Winter's Wail.

And so I thought that it would be pretty sweet if we could also get an upgrade to the Paladin's Longsword. I've been running a Paladin style Cleric joining the Warrior's Guild, and I was looking forward to getting the sword, only to discover upon obtaining it that my Cleric's dagger still beats it in terms of DPS when taking into account Duel and Arbenos's Might. So yeah, could we please get an upgrade for the Paladin's Longsword?

VDX_360

Staff member
Moved to Feedback.

DPS vs DPH in terms of Actual Damage is a longstanding debate in every game, including this one. For brevity, I'll try not to repeat too much here. Short version:
Against high defense enemies, a lot of the dagger's damage will be negated, and it will have far less Actual Damage than it's DPS.
Might is a great skill --- no so great against fire elementals.
Dule is a great skill but takes multiple hits to get to max damage. There's an entire conversation about Duel and Heavy Hand.

Molokot

You have nanocarbon sword , maul of terror ,nanocarbon scalpel , and can have maul of garrak from troll boss pretty fast, not to mention 11 speed 1h hammers. Cleric has op gear in this game and realy its a last class that needs any upgrades. !.3 weapons are mostly aimed at new melee mage.
If any weapon is still needed it would be something for 2h warrior like : "Sharpness"- 2h sword 15-16 damage 8% crit speed 10.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
DPS is not everything, Elemental Damage means something too. Paladin's gives Spirit damage.

That means almost nothing actively resists it, and it is uniquely powerful against Shadows. The only other Spirit options are a light Short Sword (not even a dagger, so Clerics can't use it), a Bow (no Clerics), a Two-Handed Sword (no Clerics), and a light Hammer. And the light Hammer is fine if you're an Agility build. But the point is that Elemental Damage gets through armour, resisted only by elemental resistances. Spirit is by far and away the least universally resisted.

Also, Duel favours the fastest weapon over the slower weapons. But that stated DPS isn't the whole story. Opponents with a high armour value will (typically) resist proportionately more of a lot of light hits than fewer big hits.

Accurate DPS would require a massive table dependent upon opponent armour and resistances. Stated DPS is a guide but not the whole story.

Arcanmaster

The only other Spirit options are a light Short Sword (not even a dagger, so Clerics can't use it), a Bow (no Clerics), a Two-Handed Sword (no Clerics), and a light Hammer. And the light Hammer is fine if you're an Agility build.
You forgot Spirit Maul

ThatGuyYouLike

I see. Thank you all for responding and I'll be testing out the sword on the next rumor boss I encounter.

But still, wouldn't it be cool if the sword received an upgrade similar to the Winter's Wail? Perhaps through a quest given by a prominent person in Nivaria, perhaps the queen herself? Maybe in a future update.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
You forgot Spirit Maul

Yes it's 1.3 kit and I haven't got it yet. Still, you use a Maul you can't equip a shield such as that sexay Enchanted Shield, so that still leaves Paladin's Longsword with a role depending on what setup you want (Light, Hand, 2-Hand).

And in theory Paladin's Longsword is a slightly higher DPS (14.8 vs 13.1) but as people keep saying that average won't always be correct, but the Paladin's Longsword has a higher Spirit bonus (6 vs 5) so that, being put on more quickly to creatures with active weaknesses to it, will compensate somewhat for armour resistance to the base damage.

I think it's a great all-rounder sword and a heavy hitter. Short of Trolls & Werewolves you can equip it and not worry about going after Undead, Cold creatures, Fire creatures, beast creatures, magical creatures, outsiders, constructs, etc., it works very well on almost everyone.

Last edited: