Opinions wanted

Would you like the world map to be changed to this style?

• Yes, I like it more. Change it!

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • No, keep the old one!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Both are equally great or equally terrible.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
With the update out, my vacation just started so instead of developing the game I... decided to work on minor "cosmetic" things for the game. Because why not.

demo_newstyle.png

So tell me, do you like it? Hate it? Keep in mind it is just a sketch, It'd need to be refined.

yandersen

Definitely this one is better - the old one looks cheap and cheesy like if it is a scholar drawing.

This one needs more details on the river lines.

waclawczernobyl

It looks more detailed. I really like it. I like the old one as well though. One thing seems odd to me in both new and current map - the colors. EK has this beautiful dark-fantasy feeling, but colors on maps are really bright. And also monochromatic. Plains, lakes and possibly some deserts would look much better if they were darker and if some diversity was added ( darker and lighter patches maybe? ). That's just my opinion though ;)

Also, as for small cosmetic changes - many items share the same graphics. Changing them even a little could make each item more recognizable. But I'm not saying you should do it on your vacation, working on game is hard enough :)

VDX_360

Staff member
I like the new idea. In addition to the graphic points mentioned, the proposed idea would make it easier for way finding when a player pulls up the world map. Mountain passes, blocked routes, etc are more easily viewed in the new map idea.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
It looks great, but I wonder whether all these fine details will make the map extremely large? For the moving background screen of the main menu this might be no issue. But for a low-resolution overview map like the one on the Wiki area page, all these details vanish anyways and a coarser map like the old one would probably be better. So I would say both maps have their purpose and might coexist.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
MikeB":26k212yb said:
It looks great, but I wonder whether all these fine details will make the map extremely large? For the moving background screen of the main menu this might be no issue. But for a low-resolution overview map like the one on the Wiki area page, all these details vanish anyways and a coarser map like the old one would probably be better. So I would say both maps have their purpose and might coexist.

Fair enough. A map should be clear, maybe I can go with the new style for geology/forests but not add so many details in favor of clarity, and keep the "round dots" for towns as they are easier to spot. I might make a real-size test and see how clear and readable it looks.

Definitely I don't want two maps in the game, so either this can replace the old one or it's no good. Or maybe it can replace the old map only in the PC version.

azd

This new one is better.
Especially colours and detail is better than the original and also if possible change the colour and sstyle of fonts in prologue,ending and 'Loading' (loading screen).

Serhiy

OMG
I love this new map) i dont know why but when looking at this map in my memory appear map from LOTR)