On Mercenaries and Companions

Legend

I believe there may be a way to greatly improve the mercenary system.

Basically, my idea is that a mercenary has an upfront payment (that would probably be much higher than it is currently) and a secondary payment when the player wants to bring them with them. When the merc died, they would respawn back at the city they were hired in or the Player House, Tremadan Tower, or Hired from the City Tower. They could also be provided with equipment, leveled, and healed without losing the items you give them but without making them unbalanced

Their dialogue would look something like this:
"Hello friend, I am a mercenary looking for a work. For a small fee, say, 500g I can join you in your travels, or I would be happy to join your group permanently for 10,000g. Although I'd still require about 100g per trip for travel expenses."

It'd be nice if the golden hand could teach an ability to lower the cost of mercenaries and another to allow you to take more mercs with you in your travels. A cleric could teach the ability to restore health to their mercs (50% the first time, 100% at lvl 2) the warrior could have an 'inspiring leader' perk for them etc.

This all might be too complicated for the game, right now; but what do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Edit: Wizards Guild could have a special ability that allows them teleport hired
mercs to them from the city they are in, and Seventh House could have one that allows them to take the items off the merc's bodies after they die

Billhuggins

That makes sense to me. I agree that they would unbalance the game, because the game feels pretty balanced with your class plus a companion.

That's not what I think is bugged, if that's by design.
Their cost goes up. But their level does not. Either they should get stronger, or their cost should remain the same.

I appreciate you stepping in to comment!

BOSTACH

Mercenaries are extremely useful from level 1-3 just sayin... If you get a companion for 50 golds you probably could clear the 2 tombs and kill the fire dancer and they'll survive

Billhuggins

I would say they are very useful all the way until they stop leveling at level 7. But, again, only if you get the more expensive one, and it's a level above you. The 1st couple of levels it makes the most difference, but it helps a ton on the next handful as well. I don't need better armor if the Merc is taking hits (as long as it doesn't die). I don't need a good weapon if the Merc is doing damage (as long as it doesn't die). It's the best use of money if you need help. Easily.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough, with the warrior. 1st was wizard, then thief. I don't know if I could have made it without the mercenary with the wiz and thief. Would have been very hard. Warrior didn't need it, but I got Griselda almost immediately.