On companions, present and future

deltoru

Hirge, Gris, and Adaon, good to have around. Are they able to train advanced skills? If so, how's that done? With the mage class coming in the future, does that mean another companion available? And, will we get more backstory, there are hints on the history of the 3 we have, would be interesting to hear more....

VDX_360

Staff member
All those points have come up before in the forum and the consensus (and foreshadowing from the Developer) seems to indicate A "yes" to all those points, it's just a matter of when or how. One idea was to have special companion quests that would result in the ability of the companion to learn an advanced skill. Mage class has been discussed as a later addition to allow focusing on finishing the primary game parts, such as the main quest, the world map and getting us horses to ride between cities (okay, the horses aren't a thing, but am I the only bothered by the odd lack of horses in an agricultural and knight driven society?)

The game isn't at version 1.0 yet so there still primary content being figured out and programmed. And while I'll refer to the Developer or Development Team, it really is just David (so I hear), so it can take awhile.

deltoru

I hope my questions don't come across as impatient, I absolutely understand there is basically one person behind game development, and the insane amount of work that goes into development. I ask out of curiosity, there is already so much content to EK I want to make sure I am not missing or skipping over something I shouldn't. This is obviously a passion for David, and I can't say how much I appreciate the depth and scope of what he is doing here.
Mentioning the horse/agricultural thing, funny you brought that up, it's been a real life interest of mine for a while (how domestic animals influenced modern society), so, neigh, wanting horses in game doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Comrey

Translator
With the amount of fast travel options and relative small scale of the map tiles, I'd say horses, while logical to have in a medieval world, are unnecessary right now. Stock up on a bunch of speed potions and you'll effectively have the same thing.

Back on topic though, I think we'll definitely see more companions eventually. Hopefully their dialogue will be enhanced too, giving them more of a personality like they had during their respective quests rather than the same robotic lines they all say when you give them commands or ask them questions. Likewise, hopefully they'll have more dialogue when it comes to asking them questions reflecting the current location etc. So far I've only seen companions say one sentence about New Garand, and every other place they have no opinion about except that they "know little about it". Hell, maybe even add romance options to flesh them out as their own 'people' even more, rather than being just named mercenaries that don't die and sporadically comment on quests.

I realise it's probably a low priority thing, but it would really enhance the immersion and feel of the game. Maybe David will take on more writers to speed the process along.

VDX_360

Staff member
deltoru":119pfxef said:
I hope my questions don't come across as impatient...
They didn't :) They're great questions that predictably come up from time to time. I prefer to reference previous discussion, not to be dismissive of your comment (and pardon if it came off that way), but to communicate that the topic is under discussion and to try to keep some level of institutional consistency for the forum. A lot of topics get brought up regularly (1-h vs 2-h, mage class, level caps, etc) and it's helpful to have some level of understanding of past discussions.

And as for the horses, I totally agree they are unneeded but how about a Wyvern Welp who can eat goblins... We'd call him Yoshi.

And in-game wise, considering the population fled in excel, the lack of horses can be explained as no one had the space to take horses on the few boats that fled the old world. After all, in real life North America didn't have horses till Europeans brought them over.

Comrey

Translator
Maybe in this world, horses were rare beasts that were hunted to extinction by the early civilisations for their prized hide and delicious meat. Gotta go ride those bears instead, god knows there's an overpopulation of them.

deltoru

Comrey":2ip633sn said:
Maybe in this world, horses were rare beasts that were hunted to extinction by the early civilisations for their prized hide and delicious meat. Gotta go ride those bears instead, god knows there's an overpopulation of them.

Yee-haw, it's the bear cavalry! And It was the orcs, I am sure, that done et all the horses.

deltoru

VDX_360":1dmowbn2 said:
deltoru":1dmowbn2 said:
They didn't :) They're great questions that predictably come up from time to time. I prefer to reference previous discussion, not to be dismissive of your comment (and pardon if it came off that way), but to communicate that the topic is under discussion and to try to keep some level of institutional consistency for the forum. A lot of topics get brought up regularly (1-h vs 2-h, mage class, level caps, etc) and it's helpful to have some level of understanding of past discussions.

And as for the horses, I totally agree they are unneeded but how about a Wyvern Welp who can eat goblins... We'd call him Yoshi.

And in-game wise, considering the population fled in excel, the lack of horses can be explained as no one had the space to take horses on the few boats that fled the old world. After all, in real life North America didn't have horses till Europeans brought them over.

I cringe when I find myself asking basic questions like this, how could it NOT already be posted? I always try to dig out info before posting, but the people who create these forum platforms have never made a decent search engine to go with it. If I repeat what is most likely an already answered question, I apologize, and will try to keep at a minimum.

VDX_360

Staff member
deltoru":d47o9wz0 said:
... If I repeat what is most likely an already answered question, I apologize, and will try to keep at a minimum.
Nonsense! Ask what you need to ask, that's the purpose of the forum. Do a quick scan for a topic but thing get buried pretty quickly so never feel discouraged from asking a question.

0rion79

deltoru":3f4byxns said:
VDX_360":3f4byxns said:
deltoru":3f4byxns said:
I cringe when I find myself asking basic questions like this, how could it NOT already be posted? I always try to dig out info before posting, but the people who create these forum platforms have never made a decent search engine to go with it. If I repeat what is most likely an already answered question, I apologize, and will try to keep at a minimum.

I did too in fact, same questions. But it's nice to read new answers as the game develops. So never refrain yourself about questions!