Offhand weapons

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
During the 0.9 development arc, I will introduce offhand weapons. I would like to hear some feedback about my current plans, and listen to new ideas.

What it will be: Rogues will be allowed to equip specific offhand-balanced weapons at the offhand slot. Warriors maybe too, although much like archery, if I allow it it will be limited, as warriors have 2-handed as a simpler alternative for melee DPS builds.

-Your 2 attacks will be simultaneous, at an average of both weapon speeds.
-Your main attack will suffer a small penalty, and your offhand attack a large penalty
-A new advanced skill will remove these penalties and even add bonuses.

Numbers-wise, this will mean an increase in DPS similar to what 2 handed does, or a bit better. It will be weaker vs. armored enemies, but it will be more versatile, allowing the usage of new special weapons with effects like slow poison, curse, etc.

A final note: I have the sprites ready for offhand weapons equipped, but expect no animation of left-hand attacks. Maybe in the future, when resources allow, I can consider such an upgrade.

Unknown

Awesome, finally :D

Some concerns/ ideas though:

- don't make it too weak, not wearing a shield is a big offset in itself, there has to be a substential advantage damage-wise to make people consider going dual wield, with the way armor works I'd guess 70-80% mainhand damage + 50-60% offhand damage as a bare minimum

- make it a Thief's guild advanced skill for both, warriors and rogues, as thief's guild is clearly lacking in the melee department right now

- keep it simple - make it so that only light weapons can be used in your offhand, no seperate offhand weapon category, damage can be balanced with values

- there should be no difference in warrior and rogue skill-wise - there already is the difference with rogue getting 1extra damage which for dual wield obviously gets doubled effect + rogue already gets much better light weapons

- Elixir of ogre might and poisons should only apply to mainhand attacks, as those items should be equally usefull to all builds imo. If they were to apply on both attacks with dual wield it'd screw the overall balance.

Azog

Depending on how you finally want to balance dps, you could make an 30% armor rating when equipping offhand weapons, since they could also be somewhat used for blocking.

If you look for an additional advanced active skill, then there could be something like Riposte. When activated, it negates and reflects the next attack of a mob (or reflecting 50% of its dmg). Increasing skill lvl increases the number of reflected attacks. That skill would be definite rogue.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Unknown":13lg7qdh said:

- keep it simple - make it so that only light weapons can be used in your offhand, no seperate offhand weapon category, damage can be balanced with values

The thing is, this causes me trouble with the quickslots. let's say you click a quickslot with a shortsword, to what hand does it go? From the inventory menu I guess I can prompt the player for selection, but in the middle of the action would interfere with the flow.

Unknown

DavidBVal":d1msvkes said:
Unknown":d1msvkes said:

The thing is, this causes me trouble with the quickslots. let's say you click a quickslot with a shortsword, to what hand does it go? From the inventory menu I guess I can prompt the player for selection, but in the middle of the action would interfere with the flow.

Wait, what? You can quickslot weapons? Who does that and why would you even? :D
In the middle of a fight pausing via menu is more effective and I really wouldn't want to clutter my screen with weaponswap stuff anyways.
Imo weapon quickswap could be scrapped alltogether, doubt anyone uses it ^^

And if you really want a quickslot system maybe just make it so the quickslot saves main and offhand setup together.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Unknown":2814mnbu said:
DavidBVal":2814mnbu said:
Unknown":2814mnbu said:

Wait, what? You can quickslot weapons? Who does that and why would you even? :D
In the middle of a fight pausing via menu is more effective and I really wouldn't want to clutter my screen with weaponswap stuff anyways.
Imo weapon quickswap could be scrapped alltogether, doubt anyone uses it ^^

And if you really want a quickslot system maybe just make it so the quickslot saves main and offhand setup together.

my analytics say 70% of characters over 10 use it frequently.

Dimidium

There went my barbarian build. Time for a dual weild build. I am going for Sonnet plus the Sword of Falling Stars. Or maybe Sonnet plus a dagger all in Agility. I am super excited.

Unknown

DavidBVal":1dvz4mam said:
my analytics say 70% of characters over 10 use it frequently.

I guess I stand corrected then^^

But quickslotting complete main-/ offhand weaponsets instead of the item would be a solution, right?