Observations from a new player

ZenithTN

Good evening,

I'm loving the game so far. Thank you.

I thought I'd share a couple of observations from the perspective of a pretty new player.

1) On the world map, north is up. But on the screen, north is to my right. This was quite confusing until I broke out pencil & paper and started doing my own map.

2) I am carrying a very large axe, yet this tree stops my progress?

3) I know the weapons have intrinsic weapon speeds, but I don't see a way for my character to train to attack faster. You'd think there'd be a training for that? Or have I missed it?

3a) Some folks walk faster than others IRL. Can some characters learn to walk faster too? By the same token, I suppose some monsters should as well.

4) Caves are hideously hard to see. For example, I was about 9th level before I ever found the bandit cave. Can they be made more obvious please?

5) Is there a way to delete saved games?

6) The tutorial is blessedly simple AND contributes to the plot. Very well done.

7) Town Hall quests to unknown areas can be narrowed down by utilizing the gossip function. This is not intuitive, thus could use some support. I was about 7th level before I figured this out, and had been avoiding Town Hall quests because of it.

8) My small screen makes precise movements difficult. This is most often painfully felt when trying to get near a trap so as to attempt to disarm it. Can the disarm radius be widened perhaps?

9) Any class can disarm traps with the proper investment in stats. This is not intuitive for an old-school gamer like myself, thus could use some support.

10) Love not having to track ammo! Thank you for that small blessing.

11) Item hotkeys are very well done. Good on ye!

12) Rent-a-helpers can die. Companions who 'die' pick themselves up off the ground again. Again, not intuitive.

13) I haven't seen a rent-a-helper with a bow yet, and I've been looking. I am aware I can give them a bow after I hire them, but I'd like to see an archer for rent, perhaps already spec'd that direction.

14) For that matter, I don't think I've seen a rent-a-helper healer either.

15) Thank you for your presence on these forums. I've learned a goodly bit just lurking this evening.

I hope at least some of these observations contribute positively to game development. Thanks again!

ArrowsFTW

ZenithTN":1ws8zzgk said:
Good evening,

I thought I'd share a couple of observations from the perspective of a pretty new player.

1) On the world map, north is up. But on the screen, north is to my right. This was quite confusing until I broke out pencil & paper and started doing my own map.

3) I know the weapons have intrinsic weapon speeds, but I don't see a way for my character to train to attack faster. You'd think there'd be a training for that? Or have I missed it?

3a) Some folks walk faster than others IRL. Can some characters learn to walk faster too? By the same token, I suppose some monsters should as well.

4) Caves are hideously hard to see. For example, I was about 9th level before I ever found the bandit cave. Can they be made more obvious please?

6) The tutorial is blessedly simple AND contributes to the plot. Very well done.

7) Town Hall quests to unknown areas can be narrowed down by utilizing the gossip function. This is not intuitive, thus could use some support. I was about 7th level before I figured this out, and had been avoiding Town Hall quests because of it.

8) My small screen makes precise movements difficult. This is most often painfully felt when trying to get near a trap so as to attempt to disarm it. Can the disarm radius be widened perhaps?

9) Any class can disarm traps with the proper investment in stats. This is not intuitive for an old-school gamer like myself, thus could use some support.

12) Rent-a-helpers can die. Companions who 'die' pick themselves up off the ground again. Again, not intuitive.

13) I haven't seen a rent-a-helper with a bow yet, and I've been looking. I am aware I can give them a bow after I hire them, but I'd like to see an archer for rent, perhaps already spec'd that direction.

15) Thank you for your presence on these forums. I've learned a goodly bit just lurking this evening.

I hope at least some of these observations contribute positively to game development. Thanks again!
1.) Yes I do agree with the compass, why is it so wonky
2.) Because crafting is not yet implemented to chop down them woods
3.) Some monsters run fast such as the giants and manticore
4.) Maybe you just gotta recognize how caves look
5.) Yes, you can

Dimidium

ZenithTN":2sjmw9gs said:
Good evening,

Very nice first post! Welcome to the forums

past caring

Other more experienced players will deal with the other stuff, doubtless - but as a newbie myself, I've singled this out....

ZenithTN":2ghfbdq4 said:

Can you give a rented companion a weapon? How?

And welcome.

Sounkeng

past caring":1s4vdt3r said:
Other more experienced players will deal with the other stuff, doubtless - but as a newbie myself, I've singled this out....

ZenithTN":1s4vdt3r said:

Can you give a rented companion a weapon? How?

And welcome.

You can't give one to mercenaries

But you can for companions... I think he mixed that up.

Elldar

Hello, and welcome to the forums. As a returning player, it's nice to see this place is still growing. ;)

For the sake of the discussion, I think it may be worth sharing my opinion on some of these points.

1. Yeah, seems like it's the case with most isometric games(old school ones, in particular), though. I think it makes it easier on the eye, personally.

2. Well, even with a very large axe, it would still realistically take you a fair share of swings in order to bring the tree down. Much faster to just go around it. Although I do faintly remember a location that is akin to a maze made up of trees, would've been helpful there. :p

3. None that I know of. I'd wager that adding such a feature would come at a price of a heavy re-balance of the game.

4. Methinks it's the purpose of a hideout - to remain unseen. Would be interesting if they were highlighted for Rogues or something, though.

8. Stepped in my fair share of traps that way, myself, I know your pain. :D

9. Makes sense to me, personally. If you invest into something you should be able to reap the rewards of your actions, not to mention that by doing that you sacrifice some other stat's potency in return. Rogues are naturally better at trap disarming though, right?

10. Magic arrows for the win, right? :D

12. Hirelings are just that - meat shields. Their only purpose in life is to prolong yours for a couple of precious seconds during a boss fight. As you have mentioned, the game seems to lack different types of hirelings, hence the meat-shield syndrome that they have. Hireling variety could certainly remedy that, although I figure that balancing them would prove to be tricky, healers, especially.

And, companions, well, they are just special snowflakes, fitting that they can't really die, I think. Some revival mechanic, like in Baldur's Gate could be interesting, though. :p

ArrowsFTW

They should make a Cut Advance Skill where you can cut down a tree with an axe weapon

Cainus

ArrowsFTW":1o2siy6s said:
They should make a Cut Advance Skill where you can cut down a tree with an axe weapon

So those woods for crafting, then maybe trees can spawn in a days. That makes sense.

Sounkeng

Cutting trees down sounds enormously complicated to implement, unnecessary, and... Yeah it's not going to happen.

Apeiros

Sounkeng":3vj9mtg6 said:
Cutting trees down sounds enormously complicated to implement, unnecessary, and... Yeah it's not going to happen.

Additionally I'm pretty sure the purpose of most of the trees is actually two provide a boundary for the map. Trees are a little more interesting to look at than just Blank Space it shows hey this is where the dev decided to stop the map