NPCs with no purpose.

I've finished exiled kingdoms many times, but I've always noticed that there are many NPCs that were created to have a quest that was never added to the game.
Examples include Elisse Urhad in rural New Garand, who never received her quest, Yamiba in sydarum, a slave who has the potential to be involved in a quest, and finally Praetor Rongae in Freetown talking about sick slaves.
I feel that these characters have been forgotten, and that their presence gives the game a bad feeling of being a blank space that shouldn't be there, but that is accessible to the player.
If Exiled Kingdoms are updated in the future, will it be possible to assign a role to these NPCs?

I wrote some quest suggestions (which you, @Paralelepipedo1234 , also commented) which involved Elisse Urhad and Yamiba. And yeah, I almost forgot about Praetor Rongae, too.

@stonedwolf Yes, I actually thought it was gonna be a Warrior's guild building. But Bandit's building would make much more sense.
I know, this thread is just meant to remind David that these NPCs still exist.
I bet the next update will add the two Mercian ports (and maybe the islands next to them), so the Praetor Rongae quest will probably be added, but the other two might not.
Post automatically merged:    

I'd also like that Bandit's building between Garand and Kingsbridge to be enterable.
it would be great if that area had a purpose, maybe a place where those bad guys gather.

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
First, yes, there are places where new content can be dovetailed into the game. That's deliberate and no one has forgotten about it - - the missing farmer is a long standing joke on the forum.

Second, not every aspect of a game needs flushed out. Part of world building is hinting at the bigger world without destroying everything with excessive detail.

And lastly.... The easiest part of a game is the plot. Game Developers don't stop developing a game because they run out of ideas. They don't lay on the floor crying because they just can't think of something for a NPC to do. The actual game building work such as graphics, coding, user interface, limitations of devices, etc Those are what stalls game design.

So offering feedback is great. Offering a person take on a quest is also great. Written a 20-page detailed quest that "must" be added to the game .... that's a bit much. Especially if it becomes a weekly submission. And yes, a certain forum member was known for his book length "suggestions" for the game.

Which leads to my final point: IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN GAME --- THAN MAKE IT. No seriously. I'm not being sarcastic. Those are supportive all-caps. If you're bursting with great game ideas that the world just can't live without, than, gosh darn it, hop to it and make it. I swear by the Invisible Swamp Donkey, I'll even buy a copy if the game's decent.

No seriously, start working on that new game. :)

Sorry if this comment bothered you or the developers in any way, it's just a suggestion of content and not a requirement, as I've always been intrigued by the potential these NPCs could have in the game but never had after so long.

I'm also aware of the game's limitations, so much so that whenever someone makes a comment about, for example, a “dragon breath” as a unique ability of the dragons themselves or a “Boss Theme”, I always comment on the technical limitations and details of the game.

VDX_360

Staff member
Not bothered at all... there may be a tone in my wording that wasn't intended. Pardon that if that's the case.

It's great that people like the game. It's every great people are thinking about how to expand it. My comment was meant to help keep things in perspective. There's a long list of things that -could- easily be added to the game. In addition to the topics listed above, lets not forget about the island pirates, the batrax royalty, and that pesky Mercian rebellion. There's a lot hinted at in-game that could take years to flush out.

And on that note, keep in mind that David is working on his next game so EK might be on hold for quite some time. This last update was rather unexpected so don't hold your breath for v1.5.