New Class: SIDEKICK

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Back to the NEW CLASS COMPENDIUM

SIDEKICK
Henchman, squire, handmaiden... You have been chosen to serve a Master, the great hero of the Exiled Kingdoms: your companion! This tale isn't about you. It's about the heroic journey of your companion. Be humble and let them shine for once!

GOAL: GET YOUR COMPANION TO LEVEL 20 BEFORE YOU DO!

CHOOSE YOUR MASTER

BOSSMAN ADAON
You gleefully serve Adaon, financial mastermind of Freeport and secretly Boss to the Seventh House. You are his Henchman.

LADY GRISSENDA
You dutifully serve Grissenda, sister-in-law and champion-knight of Baron Dobros Storme of Varsilia. You are her Squire.

PRINCESS HIRGALANDE
You faithfully serve Hirge, Daughter of Queen Simarie, heir to the throne of Ilmara. You are her Handmaiden.

RULES
APPRENTICE
Base Class: Same as your Master's class
Guild: According to your Master's class

SLOPPY SECONDS

Your Master always gets priority on all the best items, like Infinity Stones and Ancient Tolassian Tomes. You only get what's left.​

OUTSHINED
Your Master is a genius and a fast learner. You are not. Boost your companion's XP Bonus as much as possible. You, on the other hand, can't benefit from any form of XP Bonus. (Remember: your goal is to get your companion to level 20 before you do!)

OPTIONAL: HARD MODE

TRUE MODESTY
The following restrictions only apply to yourself, if you wish to be a truly humble sidekick. (Your Master can do whatever the hell they want.)

Weapons: Daggers only
Body Armor: Green Shirt only (no body armor)
Off-Hand: No Shields (orbs and off-hand weapons allowed)
Head: No Visible Helmets (hoods and non-visible headgear allowed)

Back to the NEW CLASS COMPENDIUM

Last edited:

Crimson Cleric

I like the idea of trying this play style, but is the goal even achievable? It should take ~50% xp bonus just to break even on xp

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I like the idea of trying this play style, but is the goal even achievable? It should take ~50% xp bonus just to break even on xp

Yes, yes it is possible! I completed the challenge myself, and so did a friend of mine :) Plus, we did it with "True Modesty" loll

I did a lot of treasure hunting to find items with the Wisdom ability, got Tolassian Tomes to increase my companion's INT, and also went farming in the Desecreted Ruins to find good +15% XP Scrolls.

HaşmetliMert

Translator
Well guess I will never complete that so why would anyone else complete? Let's make it ultra hard, your companion should never knock down, this will end the challange. After all, you should be prepared to give your life before them, which will also sadly end the game and challange. Also you should complete all their quests before level 20.

Crimson Cleric

Yes, yes it is possible! I completed the challenge myself, and so did a friend of mine :) Plus, we did it with "True Modesty" loll

I did a lot of treasure hunting to find items with the Wisdom ability, got Tolassian Tomes to increase my companion's INT, and also went farming in the Desecreted Ruins to find good +15% XP Scrolls.

I guess I need to focus more on getting those items and scrolls. I've been doing it as a rogue buying Adaon the 7% scrolls and a Lesser ring of learning. Not sure why I didn't think to buy a second of those. Level 8 currently with Adaon ~5k behind. Hopefully there's still time for him to catch up.
Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

Cryf

It would be great to create a chelenge, go through the whole game as a pacifist 😇 without killing a single enemy (only the companion and summoned creatures can kill). But I checked that companion kills also go into the stats, so... what if the companion is not allowed to kill either?

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
It would be great to create a chelenge, go through the whole game as a pacifist 😇 without killing a single enemy (only the companion and summoned creatures can kill). But I checked that companion kills also go into the stats, so... what if the companion is not allowed to kill either?

"Yes, officer. That's the person right there."
Post automatically merged:    

@Cryf Do a run with a kill count of zero? Could be super fun! Let me think about it a bit...

There are lots of quests that don't involve killing. Gold and many items can be stolen from chests. But it's not possible to complete the game without murdering at least a few poor monsters. We'd need to count how many kills are necessary, and allow for a maximum kill count. What if we allow for a maximum kill count equal to number of completed quests?

Rogue obviously have fun skills for this: Sprint, Stealth and Smoke Bomb. But there's a minor problem: when an enemy swarm surrounds us, we become trapped. If we can't kill them to escape, the only way to break free is with "movement" skills like the rogue's Kick or the warrior's Bash, Charge or Whirlwind.

If the only way to gain XP is by completing "non-violent quests", the maximum possible level would be very low. My suggestion is this: create a challenge with a different goal than beating the game. Pick a more realistic goal! Like, for example, collecting a list of Family Heirlooms (the rings from Townhall Quests), and put them in the chest by the Bandit King's throne to become Seventh House boss or whatever loll. Or collect the Books from Townhall Quests and put them at the feet of Laughing Deer after completing his quest to become "Enlightened", "One with Nature" or something lol. :)

Edit: Just thought of a simple set of goals that could be very fun: WARDED MAN CHALLENGE: Learn all 6 Ward Skills, with a kill count equal to or less than your number of completed quests.

I did an "alternate goal" challenge like that, you can check it out for ideas: THE LORESEEKER CHALLENGE. Tell me if you're serious about building the challenge, we'll put it on the Compendium page!​

Last edited:

Kakost

"No kill challenge" sounds as impossible as it can get. Only way to increase XP would be with quests - after a while, only the many "retrieve item X" quests. This would be the loooongest and most boring play ever.