Never die?

Atlas1095

I’m new to this game, which is great! I see lots of comments about “finishing” the game - my question us whether this is possible without your character ever dying? I know about the ankh of life or whatever it’s called (by the way, you should be able to buy additional ones at higher prices). But it seems to me that the game is designed with the idea that you will use the “save” button to keep playing after you are killed. I think that’s totally lame. So is it possible to never die? Thanks!

Atlas1095

Right. Has anyone ever successfully completed the game without dying even once? It doesn’t seem possible to me.

Atlas1095

That’s absolutely amazing to me! The game seems full of totally deadly situations, especially poison and paralysis attacks. Kudos to whoever can navigate their way through this without dying once!

VDX_360

Staff member
As commented above, plenty of people have beaten the game without dying, either on Ironman (with perma death) or just not dying so it really leads me to ask what's your character build?

If you're dying an excessive amount of times, it might mean there's a problem with your build, or your playing style? Are you pushing too fast into new areas? Are forgetting to think about elemental resistance when taking on fire demons? etc?

VDX_360

Staff member
...... The game seems full of totally deadly situations, especially poison and paralysis attacks. ...
And the game has gotten EASIER over the last two years as new stuff got added, and paralysis attacks got weakend a little.

Poison resistance is one of the more rare resistance out there, esp in the early game when you can first fight poison spitting spiders. They'll rapidly wreck low level characters. But there's equipment that you can get that will help. It makes a huge difference.

As for paralysis attacks, yeah, there's a few places in the game when the monster really hammer you. Things to help include increasing Spirit Resistance (equipment, potions or skills), keeping your defense and health high, and learning to let your Companion be the chew toy.

Atlas1095

Thanks for the feedback. I like to play a warrior, emphasizing whirlwind, cleave, duel, infantry training, and battle rage. I have played for 100+ game days with level as high as 20. Poison and paralysis remain the biggest obstacles, other than buying enough max heal potions and drinking them constantly! Last time, I cruised through the minotaur maze then got snuffed by the zombie dragon! I’m glad the game stays fun to keep re-starting because once my guy dies, that’s it for me.

Atlas1095

Honestly, I do not believe for one second that anyone can play this game all the way through, on any level, and never die once, unless they read all the info and maps and tricks for each section in advance. Even Ironman mode has a game saving function. It’s simply not possible. I have a level 22 warrior with 700+ hit points - who took me many many hours of playing and grinding to build - who got slaughtered in the Ashen Wastes by those ridiculous energy balls. Absurd. I’m starting to truly hate this effing game. The point is to have fun, not be endlessly frustrated. Aaarrrggghhh!!!

Deleted member 28869

I have a level 22 warrior with 700+ hit points - who took me many many hours of playing and grinding to build - who got slaughtered in the Ashen Wastes by those ridiculous energy balls. Absurd.
Have you cleared Bappasalar cave? There's a piece of equipment that reduces energy ball damage.